"if You Draft For Need You Get Fired" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"if You Draft For Need You Get Fired"

All this is BS cause you need to draft for what you need. Should we draft a LT when our best player is a LT?
We drafted Carroo cause he was the BPA but we already had Landry, Stills and Parker so Carroo never saw the field. How smart was that? It made no sense at all to draft a player that can't get any reps when you have "needs" at other positions.

It ended up that Caroo didn't see the field a ton partially due to those three guys, but WR depth actually wasn't all that certain at the time because outside of the three you mentioned there wasn't much depth and Stills had also been invisible the year before, looking just like dozens of other receivers in NFL history to be decent with an all pro QB and be nothing once taken out of that offense.

I'm not sure your extreme anecdotal evidence proves anything.

If you're consistently finding yourself drafting for need, it probably means you're not doing your job right. It's not an unreasonable proposition to suggest the better you draft the more you draft BPA.

With that said, of course drafting for need is inevitable sometimes.

I'll agree with a tweak- "If you're consistently finding yourself drafting for THE SAME need . . ." Again, if drafting only BPA is such a great strategy, how many teams do it consistently?
Yeah, BPA can make sense at times, but not 'Miami needs to draft BPA.' I'll be watching Arians actions this weekend

I don't get this binary stuff as in definitive "best player available" (BPA) is USDA certified --- and therefore the BEST available for every team regardless of position, system/scheme and slot! IMO it's a given BPA per team reflects positional priority (i.e., "need") and NOT some theoretical ranking of EVERY kid eligible for the draft. It's highly subjective and definitely team specific (certainly after the supposed consensus "top 5" or top 10).

That said, if you're in R3 and you have an R2 on YOUR BOARD standing out all alone you'll probably look at that long and hard even if the position priority was already addressed in R2 or R1. And of course in R1 if some phenom falls to you unexpectedly I'm pretty sure you'll look at that as well. But all things being relatively equal (which is kinda the norm) you're going to stick to your board -- which reflects positional priority.

My opinion. Of course. Based on what I've heard articulated by the better personnel dudes through the years...

Agree. BPA at needed positions

Back
Top Bottom