"if You Draft For Need You Get Fired" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"if You Draft For Need You Get Fired"

While i don't necessarily agree with Arians's premise

If you're consistently drafting for need you should get fired because your most likely not drafting well.

You know what's another good way to get fired? Completely ignoring need and drafting the same position over, and over, and over, just because you think that's the BPA. Just ask Steve Mariucci and Matt Millen.

It will be VERY interesting to see how the Bucs draft this weekend.

While i don't necessarily agree with Arians's premise

If you're consistently drafting for need you should get fired because your most likely not drafting well.

Just a note; Watch and listen to the talking heads in the draft tonight. See how many times they say 'this team ALWAYS draft pure BPA, so I think they'll pick Earl Campbell,' or. conversely, 'this team needs either a DE or a LT, so I think they'll take Bruce Smith.' Let me know how many of each you hear.

I've said for years NO team drafts pure BPA consistently. Even top coaches draft for need.

Just a note; Watch and listen to the talking heads in the draft tonight. See how many times they say 'this team ALWAYS draft pure BPA, so I think they'll pick Earl Campbell,' or. conversely, 'this team needs either a DE or a LT, so I think they'll take Bruce Smith.' Let me know how many of each you hear.

I've said for years NO team drafts pure BPA consistently. Even top coaches draft for need.

I'm not sure your extreme anecdotal evidence proves anything.

If you're consistently finding yourself drafting for need, it probably means you're not doing your job right. It's not an unreasonable proposition to suggest the better you draft the more you draft BPA.

With that said, of course drafting for need is inevitable sometimes.

Every year there’s this argument between pure BPA and pure need and it’s pretty clear that it falls in the middle.

Is Cleveland drafting a QB in the first? Of course not. Is any team that’s biggest need is a Center going to draft the next best one in the 1st and bypass far more talented players at positions of lesser need? Of course not.

Luckily Miami needs everything.

As someone said on NFLN lastnight, Miami has the worst starting 22 in the league....right now.

I partly disagree... We dont need RB's, WR's, or another Strong Safety, or Left Tackle.

Everything else is fair game.

I partly disagree... We dont need RB's, WR's, or another Strong Safety, or Left Tackle.

Everything else is fair game.

The point they were making and I ascribe to, is this team literally has to foul things up, to go wrong.

And Davie over the decades has a way of monumentally kicking us in the nuggets.

nfl is about luck. some of these gm don't know what they are doing. the same team are in playoff and rest visit every once in while. so good one are in playoff almost every yr and picks in 20s and still finding good players. to keep their team in playoff.

I don't get this binary stuff as in definitive "best player available" (BPA) is USDA certified --- and therefore the BEST available for every team regardless of position, system/scheme and slot! IMO it's a given BPA per team reflects positional priority (i.e., "need") and NOT some theoretical ranking of EVERY kid eligible for the draft. It's highly subjective and definitely team specific (certainly after the supposed consensus "top 5" or top 10).

That said, if you're in R3 and you have an R2 on YOUR BOARD standing out all alone you'll probably look at that long and hard even if the position priority was already addressed in R2 or R1. And of course in R1 if some phenom falls to you unexpectedly I'm pretty sure you'll look at that as well. But all things being relatively equal (which is kinda the norm) you're going to stick to your board -- which reflects positional priority.

My opinion. Of course. Based on what I've heard articulated by the better personnel dudes through the years...

I agree, Ju'an James was a position of need selection and a huge reach where he was selected.

I think any draft strategy is bad if you can't scout players. I've seen us whiff on picks that were obvious reaches (Tannehill, Juwan James) while I've seen us whiff on luxury picks as BPA that ended up sucking too (Jordan Phillips).

Back
Top Bottom