If You Owned The Dolphins.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If You Owned The Dolphins....

I would shop X Howard and see what I could get for him. Would need at least a 1st and 2nd round picks. The way I see it, X howards play will be on the decline before this team is ready to make a run. It would save us money too because X wants his money. This is X howards peak value too, will never be higher (more than likely). Sell while the getting is good.

I would trade a 3rd for Rosen because it's low risk. Rosen starts the season.

If Haskins is on the board at 13, then he's the pick. I'm not trading up. I first try to trade down if i don't love the players remaining. If I can't do that then I pick best edge rusher or best O lineman at #13. I would also consider TE TJ hock from Iowa.

Tannehill is also cut.

First, I'd have a clone made immediately.

Second, I'd move to Miami

Third, build underwater lair in Key Biscayne

4th, hire think tank firm to troll and oppress Omar Kelly (but watch yourself, Salguero). Throughout all the losing since Marino, there has only been one constant...Crappy beat writers. Most people would focus on the team, nope. In bizzarro-world, one needs an inverted strategy.

5th - fire sale and tank while causing massive turnover for Patriots by hiring as many as possible.

1) I would sign Ryan Tannehill to a $60mm/10 year contract as a “QB consultant” just to piss people off. He wouldn’t actually *do* anything, or be a member of the 53-man roster; he’d just show up at practices and at photo ops, grin, smile, and give thumbs-up signs whenever possible, just so everyone would go bat-**** crazy with conspiracy theories.

2) Pool Party. My house. We have a tournament to decide the future GM of the team, but do it Royal Rumble style. EXAMPLE: Grier and Dennis Hickey start out as 1 and 2, and a candidate enters the ring every 30 seconds. This would have surprise entries like Mike Tannenbaum, Rex Ryan, and Zach Thomas.

More on this as I wake up and caffeinate.

I would tell sorry *** fans who want to "tank" to gtfo
And if after 20+ years of not even a single playoff victory from this strategy of mediocrity would you continue with this strategy of patchworking? Would you ever try a new approach? At what point would you determine that a new approach was needed, 30 years? 50 years? 100 years? Never? If you tried a new approach, what would you try?

I'm just asking because from my point of view we have been a franchise since the 1960's and only had one truly great coach, Don Shula. None of the other coaches we've ever had has been able to produce consistently good results. That one coach caused us to be the winningest sports franchise in the history of US Sports with a higher winning percentage than any other NFL team or any other major US sports team for many years and his lead was so far above the other teams that it was years after he retired before any other sports team caught up to us. That was winning at an epic rate. That was dominance. That was what I view as the real Miami Dolphins.

We all want the same thing--a return to Dolphins greatness. But the missing ingredients in today's NFL are 1) a great coach and 2) a great QB. Tanking can't help with the first one, but it definitely ups our odds to finding the second one and still having enough resources left to build a team around him to support him.

For the last 20+ years we've tried and failed to find the next great coach, and there is no guarantee that we will ever find another great one. Tanking may or may not work, but I think we've conclusively proven that patchworking has not worked for us. At some point don't we try something different? I'm not interested in a flame war, I'm truly interested in how you see any possible alternatives. Is there another option we should be considering? What would that different strategy look like for you?

I'd visit a nice massage parlor.

maxresdefault.jpg
I see what you did there :)

if i was owner? i would try to trade down and pick up more picks, then test waters to see what i can get for Jones and or TJ Mcdonald, hopefully get multiple picks for them. 2-4 rounders. then i would have a Defense heavy draft. DL, be it tackles or edge draft best player available, LB.
sign Howard !
cut RT. amongst many more that has actually happened.
next year Draft our QB of the future ( if we are in position for Tua) i prefer Trevor Laurence don't know if he'll be eligible or not next year for the draft but if Tua is available to us i would take him.
and then the rest of the draft go heavy on the OL.
we need to build our trenches and work around them.
year 3 we should be in really good position to compete for playoff spots and be good on the cap and young enough to have a core that can grow into a force in year 4 - 5 and so on...
once we have our QB and our lines fixed drafting will become much easier and we won't need to over spend in FA ever again unless a real game changer becomes available. EX. Kalil Mack. love this guy he's a beast and transformed the bears D from decent to a force... that's the type of game changer i would pay FA money for and they don't come around often.
now that how i would start to do it!

Assuming I was obscenely wealthy and controlled the team from my private Island in Greece I would trade for Ryan Tannehill and sign him to a 3 year extension.

Re-extend Bobby McCain and TJ McDonald.

Co-head coaches Darren Rizzi and Dan Campbell.

Draft:

1. A safety (who plays corner)
2. A LG (who plays RT)
3. A punter (who plays K)
4. A kicker (who plays P)

All remaining draft picks will likely be forfeited by my certain salary cap violations.

Then spend all day on Finheaven.

Last edited:
And if after 20+ years of not even a single playoff victory from this strategy of mediocrity would you continue with this strategy of patchworking? Would you ever try a new approach? At what point would you determine that a new approach was needed, 30 years? 50 years? 100 years? Never? If you tried a new approach, what would you try?

I'm just asking because from my point of view we have been a franchise since the 1960's and only had one truly great coach, Don Shula. None of the other coaches we've ever had has been able to produce consistently good results. That one coach caused us to be the winningest sports franchise in the history of US Sports with a higher winning percentage than any other NFL team or any other major US sports team for many years and his lead was so far above the other teams that it was years after he retired before any other sports team caught up to us. That was winning at an epic rate. That was dominance. That was what I view as the real Miami Dolphins.

We all want the same thing--a return to Dolphins greatness. But the missing ingredients in today's NFL are 1) a great coach and 2) a great QB. Tanking can't help with the first one, but it definitely ups our odds to finding the second one and still having enough resources left to build a team around him to support him.

For the last 20+ years we've tried and failed to find the next great coach, and there is no guarantee that we will ever find another great one. Tanking may or may not work, but I think we've conclusively proven that patchworking has not worked for us. At some point don't we try something different? I'm not interested in a flame war, I'm truly interested in how you see any possible alternatives. Is there another option we should be considering? What would that different strategy look like for you?

I'd hire someone who knows how to draft correctly

Well i've already improved fans lives by giving the drivers seat to Grier......i'd then pick up Flores and he's now riding shotgun. I have two solid folks in the front seat of this hot rod.
I'd go heavy on OL and DL this draft, and then let Rudick and Falk battle it out in training camp. Possibly add Fitz-magic if he's cheap. Build the lines, build the lines - start at the beginning. Pick up a RB at some point as we seem to be thin in that area. I would address QB next off season as we need to pace ourselves and not chase FA's (unless Murray fell to us in Rd1 - then i'd have to gamble on that short-stack).
I would also entertain any offers to drop back into the 20's in the draft to pick up more picks this year OR even next year to load up for our QB1 selection in 2020 draft. If i could get more picks this year i would spend those picks on linemen on both sides of the ball.

Back
Top Bottom