I'll grade our new GM once..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'll grade our new GM once.....

kingfin23

This is the Year
Reaction score
If he drafts a left tackle in the first round . He is Jeff Ireland all over again. There'll be five tackles out by then. If Hick drafts HaHa Clinton-Dix then we got ourselves an awesome GM. You will get the seventh tackle rather than the fifth tackle in the second round. That's what I would do if I was GM.

You would think last season would have silenced any doubts about drafting linemen

Maybe we need to go for the league record for sacks before its ok to draft a tackle?

And your big playmaker is.... a safety?

well, what if he gets Byrd in FA and then drafts a LT?

why would you draft a safety when that's not even a top need for the team? you need 2 starting tackles and 2 starting guards unless free agency fills some of those spots. resign Clemons and you don't need a safety at all.

Because in my opinion he's the best player in the draft. You'll get the same quality of lineman in the second round. But if we do get Byrd and draft a left tackle . I'm content with that. But if Dix there. No Byrd. Drafting a left tackle is a huge mistakez

Clinton-Dix isn't even the consensus top safety right now.

Also the issue with Ireland wasn't that he drafted OL early. It's that he drafted guys based purely on measurements. Take a look at a guy like Zack Martin. Played in a similar blocking scheme to ours, moves well, may have to be a guard, but for our scheme it works. Ireland would not even consider him in past years.

Also worth pointing out that the Bucs drafted 1 OL in 5 years. Sure Carl Nicks was a big money FA signing, but it's not like the Bucs were investing heavily either way. They had 2 high paid guards, a UDFA LT that developed into a decent player, a 3rd round center, and up until I believe last year a 2nd round RT. But not a lot of turnover.

I'd much rather have Calvin Pryor than Dix.

On a side note, I did notice that the Buccaneer drafts did lack the decent cornfed that we have all been used to in recent Dolphins drafts. Tampa also drafted several skill positions in the early rounds, which would be a nice change of pace. Granted, some of those receivers were yuck, but he still took a chance on someone who could be a playmaker.

You would think last season would have silenced any doubts about drafting linemen

Maybe we need to go for the league record for sacks before its ok to draft a tackle?

And your big playmaker is.... a safety?

Why do you want a second class player when you can get a first class player? Especially when you can get essentially the same second class player with the next pick?

I get the gist of what you are saying, though I disagree with the player you want. if the top tackles are gone, you don't reach just because of need. There is only one position in which that is even remotely acceptable: QB.

That being said, if there is an LT that they are absolutely sold on, a good GM can make the moves necessary to draft him.

I wouldn't draft a o-lineman in our position at all. I would try my best to get back into the second and doublt down on lineman therre. Especially if I address o-line in FA with 2 o lineman. I am still hokding onto hope that Dallas Thomas becaome a player at gaurd. I just can seem to believe that he can't perform on the NFL level as a guard. That is amazing to me.

If he drafts a left tackle in the first round . He is Jeff Ireland all over again. There'll be five tackles out by then. If Hick drafts HaHa Clinton-Dix then we got ourselves an awesome GM. You will get the seventh tackle rather than the fifth tackle in the second round. That's what I would do if I was GM.

Already setting yourself up for disappointment. :bobdole:

Back
Top Bottom