I’m getting old. And I miss Jim Mandich. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I’m getting old. And I miss Jim Mandich.

He’s probably one of Bob Kuechenberg’s relatives. The guy always takes pot shots at Marino and that era. It’s beyond lame. But he has ”pantyhose” opinions on most things, so it’s not surprising.

Not being able to acknowledge Marino’s greatness, even if far preferring the 60’s and 70’s era style of football, along with not having an “impression” of Mandach as an announcer, just goes to show how out of touch with reality and tone deaf he is.

IMO fans like him are just insecure and upset that the Marino era gets more coverage and attention. I sure know that Bob Kuechenberg was that way. All Kuechenberg ever did was to be fortunate enough to play on a more well-rounded team. And that team didn’t ever have to play a team as good as the ‘84 49ers.

If prime Marino had been the QB on those 70’s teams, they’d have won more than 2 SB’s considering the defense they had. They’d have won in ‘83 too, because that offense was trash. Conversely prime Kuechenberg, or any one member of those 70’s teams, would have won the same amount of titles in the 80’s and 90’s as Marino and Company. Zero.
I met Bob Kuechenberg at an art exibit in the late 80s. I was a huge fan of his football days and thought he should be in the HOF.
He came across as an opinionated jerk as I listened to him speak.
I dont think less of him, but it surprised me. Not what I was expecting.

Kooch never won any popularity contests which is a good bet why he never made the Hall Of Fame. What Digital wrote about Mandich was really true especially how we all felt like family when Jim was around. Some people can never be replaced when their gone. He was only 62 when he passed, way too damn young. I wish he was around to see our young, talented team play this season because I really do think we're going to do some great things. Wherever he is he'll be looking down and when we score a TD he'll yell ALLRIGHT MIAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously know the John Anderson song Straight Tequila Night.

I have those. But they are Dan Marino nights. I watch old games and highlights and everyone just needs to leave me the **** alone.

But tonight it just rang true, watching those old games, how much I miss “Aaalriiiiiiight Miamiiiii!” That classic voice inflection. His perfect nuance calling a big play.

Rest well Mad dog. We miss you.
1620647068517.gif

I met Bob Kuechenberg at an art exibit in the late 80s. I was a huge fan of his football days and thought he should be in the HOF.
He came across as an opinionated jerk as I listened to him speak.
I dont think less of him, but it surprised me. Not what I was expecting.

Kuech was a great player. No doubt about it. As were many from those early 70's teams.

But his and Mercury Morris' attitude toward Marino lacks self-awareness. Because if either player began their career a decade later and were on any of the Dolphins teams during Marino's career -- they wouldn't had the luxury of popping champagne every year.

They simply had the luxury of being role players on a team that was better than the rest for a couple seasons.

Marino never was on a team that was better than the rest. He was always leading a flawed team, but was able to lift them to a level or two above where they would have been w/o him. Same thing John Elway was able to do for the Broncos until they finally put together a well-rounded team at the end of his career (when he wasn't near the QB he once was). Which is something neither Mercury Morris or Bob Kuechenberg could have ever dreamed of doing on their own.

Bob Griese was the QB when I first fell in love with this team. I'd never say a bad thing about him. He's was great. But Marino would have won with those teams too had they switched eras. Hell, those great Dolphins teams won with Earl Morrall too. He was a huge part of their undefeated season in '72. To think that Marino wouldn't have done the same or better is just ridiculously naive.

I want to hear a "homer" in the booth calling and adding color when I am watching alone like I am watching with a guy at the sports bar and we're yelling at the TV. Jim was that guy for me. He added football expertise with that love for the Dolphins that has been missing. Cefalo tries to be a professional un-biased national act, which he sucks at, love that he is a Dolphin but that's the only reason to give him that job, he is not the guy you want to watch the game with. Griese was really bad and Rose comes very close to being the heir to Mandich in that roll. I agree Crowder would be entertaining but I'm pretty sure they would have to bleep him a few times and that is exactly the passion that is missing and they won't tolerate for the family friendly image they want to sell, even if it costs them. Get a guy we want to watch the game with!

Speaking of getting old, I’m a baby compared to some of you old timers in here (turned 40 in March). Not sure about anyone else but the older I get the more strange it is to me to root for guys that could be my son.

As a teen and young adult it was fine because the majority of players were all older than I was. But now there’s only a few guys on ANY team that are as old or older than I am. It’s a weird feeling.
There is something to that.

My brother made a comment once saying "didn't they used to be adults?" That's kind of how it feels now.

Obviously, athletes are better than ever. The talent level is remarkable. But the game is different when you are older.

Mad Dog loved the game, and loved the Miami Dolphins even more. His enthusiasm paired so well with his eloquence and clever turn of a phrase. He was knowledgeable but didn't try to make every interaction an info dump. He wanted the fan to feel the passion of the game and understand it a little better while he smiled through the experience. Perfect blend of emotion and intellect in a warm and welcoming presentation.

There's a lot to miss about Mad Dog. RIP, for you brought a lot of joy to a lot of us fans. In the good time we thoroughly reveled in the experience together. In the bad times we supported one another and the team together. And with Mad Dog leading the conversation ... we always felt a valued part of a family. It al ways reminded me of the show Cheers. Every time Norm came in the entire bar shouted "NORM!" because they were so happy to see him. THAT'S how Mad Dog made it feel to be a Miami fan ... in good times and bad, we were always family and they always wanted to share the experience with us.

Thanks Mad Dog. Here's to you. :cheers:
Not living in the area, I sadly never heard any of his broadcasts.

Those good announcers are hard to find. And, as you said, it's not always about information overload.

Don Drysdale was one of my favorite announcers. Never saw him play, but he had a fantastic sense of humor. Did mostly Angels games with Dick Enberg, which was a magical combination.

Quick story. Alvin Harper hit a home run down the line for the Angels. The ball was clearly fair, but the home plate umpire called it foul. This was around 1975.

Dick Williams was livid, but somehow didn't get tossed from the game. When the Angels took the field, Bill Singer threw a fastball right down the middle, the catcher ducked, and it hit the umpire right in his mask.

Drysdale loved it and couldn't contain chuckling over the next several innings. Couldn't tell you who won the game, but will always remember Drysdale's reaction. He was one of a kind.

Kuech was a great player. No doubt about it. As were many from those early 70's teams.

But his and Mercury Morris' attitude toward Marino lacks self-awareness. Because if either player began their career a decade later and were on any of the Dolphins teams during Marino's career -- they wouldn't had the luxury of popping champagne every year.

They simply had the luxury of being role players on a team that was better than the rest for a couple seasons.

Marino never was on a team that was better than the rest. He was always leading a flawed team, but was able to lift them to a level or two above where they would have been w/o him. Same thing John Elway was able to do for the Broncos until they finally put together a well-rounded team at the end of his career (when he wasn't near the QB he once was). Which is something neither Mercury Morris or Bob Kuechenberg could have ever dreamed of doing on their own.

Bob Griese was the QB when I first fell in love with this team. I'd never say a bad thing about him. He's was great. But Marino would have won with those teams too had they switched eras. Hell, those great Dolphins teams won with Earl Morrall too. He was a huge part of their undefeated season in '72. To think that Marino wouldn't have done the same or better is just ridiculously naive.
Probably true, but such a different era. How would Marino do in more of a game manager role? Could he have been patient with long drives, relying more on Csonka and Morris?

One of the things that made Griese great was understanding the talent on the team, being patient and knowing when to take his shots. He didn't have to carry the team on his shoulders very often.

Marino might have passed more than Griese did, but not 40-50 times a game. Would his talents have been wasted in that time period?

Speaking of getting old, I’m a baby compared to some of you old timers in here (turned 40 in March). Not sure about anyone else but the older I get the more strange it is to me to root for guys that could be my son.

As a teen and young adult it was fine because the majority of players were all older than I was. But now there’s only a few guys on ANY team that are as old or older than I am. It’s a weird feeling.
You'll learn as you get older that it's cool to call football players 'Kids' but when that is immediately followed by 'get off my lawn' it's time to stop talking....

Probably true, but such a different era. How would Marino do in more of a game manager role? Could he have been patient with long drives, relying more on Csonka and Morris?

One of the things that made Griese great was understanding the talent on the team, being patient and knowing when to take his shots. He didn't have to carry the team on his shoulders very often.

Marino might have passed more than Griese did, but not 40-50 times a game. Would his talents have been wasted in that time period?

I’m sure a bit wasted. But he’d have adapted with the times. Cause he’d have played that way up through college.

OR, Shula would have recognized the unique talent and skill set and unleashed it on the world much earlier. ;)

It’s not like the Dolphins didn’t have some good receivers and a TE to utilize.

The no name defense was lights out regardless.

I’m sure a bit wasted. But he’d have adapted with the times. Cause he’d have played that way up through college.

OR, Shula would have recognized the unique talent and skill set and unleashed it on the world much earlier. ;)

It’s not like the Dolphins didn’t have some good receivers and a TE to utilize.

The no name defense was lights out regardless.
I think today's game would be great for Marino. Imagine what he could today. Probably would be averaging 50+ touchdown passes a season.

I think today's game would be great for Marino. Imagine what he could today. Probably would be averaging 50+ touchdown passes a season.

I like Danny’s answer to the question about how he’d fare in today‘s game under these rules. He said he’d throw 70 (a number I believe Rod Woodson first floated) because he doesn’t have to prove it!

To me, it’s a no-brainer to conclude that the numbers guys like Marino produced would have risen dramatically considering what they accomplished under more defensive friendly rules.

Hell, every time I see a defender penalized and tossed for roughing the QB I always think back to Greg Lloyd threatening to light up Marino all week long leading up to their MNF matchup. Then he actually made good on like the 4th play of the game when he was unblocked.

Could you imagine someone saying that then doing that to Brady, Rodgers, or Mahomes??? They’d probably never play again.

And I also think of all the hits Joe Montana suffered against the Giants. With today’s protection rules, maybe Montana plays until he’s 43. And because he would have been healthier longer (no back issue) maybe the Niners win a few more SB’s.

It’s all about timing and good fortune.

I know this. No chance Tom Brady plays til 43 if his career took place in that era.

Back
Top Bottom