I’m just gonna say it | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I’m just gonna say it

Pump the breaks here. If you are assuming that this staff is elite and you still end up 6-10, then does coaching and player development really matter "more than just about anything"?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade because 6-10 would be a miracle with this roster especially considering how they played early, but the players still win you games. We need more players.

PS: Hopefully there are a lot of teams that decide that Tua is too much of a risk and let him slide to us. 6-10 with this coaching staff, we still get Tua, and we finally luck out and he turns out to be healthy long term? You can't get much better than that.

Yes, it is important, player development and coaching. Look at how many of our players excell somewhere else? How many QBs were ruined because they weren’t developed properly? How long has our oline been substandard? This year doesn’t count because we stripped it bare. Some teams can not only draft well, but have a higher hit rate in there draft picks because they coach em up and develop them better. Some teams play as a team instead of as 53 individuals, and some teams don’t beat themselves with stupid penalties.

Do we need a franchise QB? Of course, but because of what is looking like a potentially ELITE coaching staff our chances of getting one and setting him up to succeed are higher then they have been in 20 years.

Yes, it is important, player development and coaching. Look at how many of our players excell somewhere else? How many QBs were ruined because they weren’t developed properly? How long has our oline been substandard? This year doesn’t count because we stripped it bare. Some teams can not only draft well, but have a higher hit rate in there draft picks because they coach em up and develop them better. Some teams play as a team instead of as 53 individuals, and some teams don’t beat themselves with stupid penalties.

Do we need a franchise QB? Of course, but because of what is looking like a potentially ELITE coaching staff our chances of getting one and setting him up to succeed are higher then they have been in 20 years.

If they are as elite as you say, why are they relying on an ancient Fitzpatrick at QB instead of using their elite coaching to develop a talented Josh Rosen to be a good QB this year?

I dont think we win 3 more games. Fitzpatrick can lose you a game just as easily as he can win one. Plus we still have a very bad roster. We cant run the ball, we struggle to protect the QB, we cant rush the passer. We Could go 3-1, but we could just as easily go 0-4. Ultimately I think it will be somewhere in the middle.
We beat Indy at Indy and the Eagles at home. I do feel we can beat Cin, giants, and jets.
I hope not. If a high enough pic and no one we really want- chase gone our top QB off the board- we could trade down a few picks for more OL pics

Here’s to 6 and 10 and pick 12.

awesome!

we can add that to pick 20 and 28 and move to 10 maybe on draft day.

Great!

Let’s keep counting on Fitzpatrick. Because that’s worked out so well for the million and one teams who have tried it with him before.

I think the premise is the coaching and foundation appears to be good enough to compete with a guy like Fitz while we patiently find the right QBOTF. Just like Tennessee is making our prior coaching and foundation look bad at the moment with our reject QB.

I think the premise is the coaching and foundation appears to be good enough to compete with a guy like Fitz while we patiently find the right QBOTF. Just like Tennessee is making our prior coaching and foundation look bad at the moment with our reject QB.

Compete for what exactly? Lol. Pick 12 forever

Admittedly that’s higher than I thought that garden gnome could achieve. It’s still utterly pointless.

Compete for what exactly? Lol. Pick 12 forever

Admittedly that’s higher than I thought that garden gnome could achieve. It’s still utterly pointless.

Well, the good news is that if history is indication Fitzpatrick tends to implode the longer he is around a team, so if he’s still here next year maybe the Lawrence pick is in play, or they will be forced to develop Rosen or whoever they draft this year.

Even if he heals and gets back to 100%...

What he did in college he ISN'T going to do in the NFL.

He might do very well, & drafting him MIGHT be a good move.

BUT, in the NFL he will not see wideouts consistently getting 4 feet of separation,

and he will NOT be able to consistently run in his little circles behind the line & make those beautiful deep passes.

There might be better, safer picks at QB.

Trading up is usually a fool's errand; it costs too much and in the end, you are forced to live or die with that one player. Smart teams trade down, pick up extra picks and invest in development minded coaches.

Once you have a boat-load of picks and a staff that knows what to do with all of the players that you are bringing in, then... AND ONLY THEN... do you consider trading up to get that last piece.

The next step in keeping a winning team intact is knowing when it is prudent to let players walk, and when to overpay for one or two players... (pro tip: NEVER a safety)

Even if he heals and gets back to 100%...

What he did in college he ISN'T going to do in the NFL.

He might do very well, & drafting him MIGHT be a good move.

BUT, in the NFL he will not see wideouts consistently getting 4 feet of separation,

and he will NOT be able to consistently run in his little circles behind the line & make those beautiful deep passes.

There might be better, safer picks at QB.

If we were going to go with the safe QB we should have just kept Tannehill. He was a competent QB. With the right coaching and team built around him you can compete for a playoff spot. Just look at Tennessee. Heck, if everything lines up, you might even squeeze a super bowl out of him like the Ravens did with Flacco.

But I thought Grier’s strategy here was to go after great, not safe. Tua was that prospect, but his injury is a major curveball.

But if Grier’s intent is to shoot for the fences, he should still take the risk with Tua, especially considering he has mitigated some of the risk by acquiring multiple first round picks.

My patience has just run thin with this QB search. No more time on “safe” QBs. Time to take a risk.

I first really started following the Dolphins in 2000. Lucky me, right after Marino retired. And it’s been **** ever since. Tannehill was the only competent one besides a handful of one year vet QBs, but it never brought us anywhere.

I want to see the Dolphins compete every year like Baltimore, NE, Seattle, Pittsburgh. New Orleans. That requires a GREAT QB, not a safe QB.

I need help understanding why anyone would use a first round pick on an injured QB (given the nature of the injury) … blast away if you want or give me some solid reason(s) … isn't it ideal to have a 1st round player starting? … at least contributing? … I really don't see any value for the future hoping he pans out and is able to start his career over … too many ifs for me … the only way it would make sense to me is if we had a TEAM already and an aging QB with a couple years left in the tank … but our needs are greater than that IMO

Can/will anyone explain this approach?

If we were going to go with the safe QB we should have just kept Tannehill. He was a competent QB. With the right coaching and team built around him you can compete for a playoff spot. Just look at Tennessee. Heck, if everything lines up, you might even squeeze a super bowl out of him like the Ravens did with Flacco.

But I thought Grier’s strategy here was to go after great, not safe. Tua was that prospect, but his injury is a major curveball.

But if Grier’s intent is to shoot for the fences, he should still take the risk with Tua, especially considering he has mitigated some of the risk by acquiring multiple first round picks.

My patience has just run thin with this QB search. No more time on “safe” QBs. Time to take a risk.

I first really started following the Dolphins in 2000. Lucky me, right after Marino retired. And it’s been **** ever since. Tannehill was the only competent one besides a handful of one year vet QBs, but it never brought us anywhere.

I want to see the Dolphins compete every year like Baltimore, NE, Seattle, Pittsburgh. New Orleans. That requires a GREAT QB, not a safe QB.

While I understand where you are coming from here, I do think that it is just as likely that the 'elite' QB prospect you so desire might just be Fromm... or Love... or Eason. They all have their own group of supporters.

I think you are conflating "taking a risk" with a greater chance of it paying off, the history of great QBs in the NFL doesn't support this idea. Yes, take a QB, but you don't have to sell the farm for a particular one.

Back
Top Bottom