"I'm not a draftnik. I am a draft philosopher, though." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I'm not a draftnik. I am a draft philosopher, though."

roy_miami

2020 cant get here soon enough
Reaction score
I have to agree with Hyde for the most part and would definitely try the trade up in the second route over a trade down (depending on the board obv) and in this particular draft I would be trying to trade a 2015 pick to get back into the early second or early third (again, depending on the board).

I narrow down and judge picks by a developed philosophy. My Rule No. 1 is this: With a Top 15 pick, you ALWAYS take a player who scores touchdowns, sacks the quarterback or makes game-changing plays on defense.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...es-for-top-draft-need-20140505,0,390480.story

I too am a philsophizerer. My Rule No. 2 is this: With a 2nd round pick, you ALWAYS take a player who will be on the team in 5 years.

Rule number 3: Dont trade down before its your turn if a player like Randy Moss is in the draft....Sheesh!

Draft a guy in rOund 1 and 2 who you are going to play as rookies. That would be mine

You know what's just as good as preseason starting? The end of the draft......

I too am a philsophizerer. My Rule No. 2 is this: With a 2nd round pick, you ALWAYS take a player who will be on the team in 5 years.

In Miami's case you'd be doing better than Ireland if the 2nd pick made it past year 2 lol.

Hyde's "Rule No. 1" more clearly stated is: "With a Top 15 pick, never take an offensive lineman." That is the only position that does not score touchdowns, sack the quarterback, or make game-changing plays on defense (not counting kickers).

I like Dave Hyde. Nice guy, pleasant to read, seems to be a fan of the Dolphins. But, over the years it seems clear to me he really doesn't know football. While he could well be right ... I don't really hold his opinion in high regard. So no matter what he suggests I simply keep my own counsel.

The best draft stuff he ever published was when he had the Universal Draft guys (Simon, CK, and I can't recall the other guy name) give him draft knowledge.

So, at least he understands who he is and recognizes that this isn't really his strength.

What Dave doesn't understand is that the draft is by far the most rewarding of the 3 avenues of team building (draft, FA, and trades). Unfortunately, it is also the most risky and speculative.

Ideally you fill holes in FA inexpensively, avoid paying high prices in trades, and have a manageable cap.

IF you do all of these things then you are in the perfect position to draft BPA.

Invariably, there are gaps. If you absolutely adhere to BPA you end up with lopsided teams that usually are less than the sum of their parts. So, almost every GM preaches BPA and then selects a mix of need and BPA.

For example, Ozzie In Baltimore is known as a strict adhere to BPA, will not draft a QB in round 1 or 2 regardless of value. He needs WR, RB, OL and TE on offense ... everything except QB ... so he will say he drafted BPA ... and let at least 1 higher rated QB slide.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The NFL GMs don't seem to agree. There have been OTs drafted in the first 15 picks (usually multiple) going back the 15 or so years that I checked.

On second thought, I encourage ALL the GMs to take this advice to heart. I want all 4 of the top OTs in the draft to still be there at 16. Miami would be guaranteed one of them.

I like Dave Hyde. Nice guy, pleasant to read, seems to be a fan of the Dolphins. But, over the years it seems clear to me he really doesn't know football. While he could well be right ... I don't really hold his opinion in high regard. So no matter what he suggests I simply keep my own counsel.

The best draft stuff he ever published was when he had the Universal Draft guys (Simon, CK, and I can't recall the other guy name) give him draft knowledge.

So, at least he understands who he is and recognizes that this isn't really his strength.

What Dave doesn't understand is that the draft is by far the most rewarding of the 3 avenues of team building (draft, FA, and trades). Unfortunately, it is also the most risky and speculative.

Ideally you fill holes in FA inexpensively, avoid paying high prices in trades, and have a manageable cap.

IF you do all of these things then you are in the perfect position to draft BPA.

Invariably, there are gaps. If you absolutely adhere to BPA you end up with lopsided teams that usually are less than the sum of their parts. So, almost every GM preaches BPA and then selects a mix of need and BPA.

For example, Ozzie In Baltimore is known as a strict adhere to BPA, will not draft a QB in round 1 or 2 regardless of value. He needs WR, RB, OL and TE on offense ... everything except QB ... so he will say he drafted BPA ... and let at least 1 higher rated QB slide.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I sense that BPA is like politicians talking about values. It sounds good when questioned - gives the people confidence that they know what they're doing but they break with it when the need arises.

Back
Top Bottom