''im Not Going To Be Howard Daviding Anybody"...zimpher. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

''im Not Going To Be Howard Daviding Anybody"...zimpher.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Compensation Picks For Webb And Armstrong...news...howard David?

The Annual Owners Meetings will be going on this weekend....and the league among other things should be releasing who will be getting awarded any extra "compensatory" picks---from those teams who lost some valuable free-agents..last season.
The DOLPHINS...of course...are awaiting the leagues decision on what compensatory picks they will be receiving in lieu of the FA departing last year...of LT RICHMOND WEBB, and DE TRACE ARMSTRONG.
The Dolphins are hoping for a late 4th or late 5th round compensatory pick....but they know it could be even later...as they know that so many extra picks must get spread out to so many teams. But the Dolphins feel that they had lost 2 "starting caliber"...or type A Free Agents...and feel that the league should give them the benefit of recieving something better than a late 6th and 7th rounder...as this would be the worst possible scenario.
The botttom line: Its like March Madness...you really don't know what to expect....you can see the NFL awarding the Dolphins anywhere from a late 4th...to to late 7th....for either FA losses. The DOLPHINS are probably really hoping to get a 4th round extra pick...just for the sole purpose of having two 4ths...then...they maybe can package a third and 4th....to get into the second round in the upcoming draft. Either way....at least we are going to get something.... its more ammo for SPIELMAN and his scouts....who are literally all over the country...looking at the private workouts going on..

TRAVIS MINOR is now #28...he wore number 23 at FSU..for those who were curious about the number, and why he chose it. He was offered #32...JJJ old number but refused it. He obviously could not have #23...SURTAIN.

The DOLPHINS are really waiting on the decision by LORENZO BROMELL.....their offer is on the table...but he is still looking for more. He just recently visited SEATTLE...and is still talking to the VIKINGS.

Considering that NORV TURNER had TE FREDDIE JONES last year in SAN DIEGO....I am kind of surprised that NORV has not told WANN-SPIEL to bring him in for a visit.

I think that signing WILKENS is a long-shot...although they liked him much more than PAT JOHNSON.

If BROMELL goes....then SINCLAIR will definately get looked at heavily as a replacement...but only if BROMELL goes.

CHRIS CARTER told the DOLPHINS he will get back to them...but called to see if the Dolphins were willing to offer him something.....this past WEDnesday. The Dolphins did not offer anything to CARTER...but did not shut the door on him either. It really now looks like he is running out of teams....it looks like it could be the RAMS...or the Dolphins....but in that order.

Its time to start bringing in some Punters. I understand that MITCH BERGER is not completely healthy at this point....but there are others...like KYLE RICHARDSON. MATT TURK is still asking for more than LENDATA just got...over 750,000.

DOlphins are interested in TOM ACKERMAN...as a late, pick-up. The Dolphins are still trying to restructure some contracts...and told ACKERMAN that they are interested...but they could not sign him right now.

OT TERRANCE METCALF....this is a guy who I have heard as well as FRED WEARY...that the Dolphins would like to get a shot at...but as it stands right now....they probably would need to package some picks.

FInally.....IT looks like WQam...in conjunctiion with the Dolphins...have FIRED Dolphins play-by-play man....BILL ZIMPHER and replaced him with the new man...on the WQAM morning show.....former JET and WESTWOOD 1 play-by-play man...HOWARD DAVID. JIM MANDICH...former Dolphins and COlor ANALYST...is very upset with the way that his friend and colleague was kicked out the door....in light of the trmendous credibility of HOWARD DAVID.
DCH

WHY THE HELL WAS ZIMPFER FIRED??

He's the best ever!! And why are they replacing him with the voice of the Jets?!?!?!

Is there no justice in this world??

Is Mandich going to quit??

From what I understand......this was about the WQAM folks asking for ZIMPHER to move permanently down to the SOUTH FLORIDA area. ZIMPHER lives in Pennsylvania...and did not want to re-locate his family. He was actually flying in to wherever the Dolphins were playing that weekend...whether home or away. He was just commuting back and forth. The WQAM brass wanted ZIMPHER to obviously do more than he wanted to do....they envisioned him being a full-employee....year, round...for WQAM....contributing and actually hosting other Dol-fan Talk type of shows.
Now...enter HOWARD DAVID....who is a resident of BOCA RATON...but nonetheless...was flying last season...wherever the JETS were playing. DAVID is a tremendous announcer...like ZIMPHER...maybe a notch better, IMO. But look what is happening right now. Its HOWARD DAVID in the morning on WQAM...he has his own show...which goes right into the NEIL ROGERS show. WQAM just went out....and solved what kind of is...their own problem. They got DAVID to come down here...albeit not far from BOCA....and do the MORNING SHOW...and there just had to be a deal...where if DAVID was willing to leave his JETS GIG...then he had what would you call the old....UNDER THE TABLE kind of agreement...where the WQAM brass would have to go ask WAYNE HUIZENGA if he would agree to have DAVID replace ZIMPHER as the DOLPHINS PLAY-BY-PLAY man. Huizenga...who had really liked ZIMPHER...basically agreed with Wqam'S position..with regard to having a local talent....who could not only do the Dolphin games...but also...contribute to the overall success of the radio station. JIM MANDICH was never asked or was even told about any possible changes with regards to ZIMPHER....and was just told about it recently...and he is quite upset about this. But he has nothing against working with DAVID either.
This is just a huge power-play by WQam....but they still must get HUIZENGA's official approval. Hopefully...an official announcement will be coming shortly by the Dolphins.....but this is what it looks to be right now. DAVID in for ZIMPHER.

Honestly, I don't know about David. I don't know if I've ever heard him. I just can't imagine anyone better than Zimpfer. It's like he really cared about the Phins (I don't know if he was a true Phin fan or not, now that I know he's from PA).

David is probably not a fan. He's just a play-by-play guy. And I don't know if I like that on my radio with Mandich.

We'll see what happens.

That's exactly what I was thinking Muck....How are we going to listen to some one who was connected to the Jets in any way? This is on radio, he could just lie to us.....We need our homers together, we can trust them to give it to us straight....

Howie: Ricky Williams takes the hand off and dives over right tackle,...I believe he's come up short of the goal line. Dolphins' short! Dolphins Short! Dolphins short!(crowd going crazy in the background)
Mad dog: Uh, Howie, THAT IS the dreaded one dancing around in the endzone with the football.
Howie:No, Jim, I think he came up a bit short on that run.
Mad dog:A bit short?!?That's reeediculous, He's still on his feet!
Howie: I think the replay will show that I am right, Jim.
Mad dog: Only in oppositeville, baby, only in oppositeville.

Re: Compensation Picks For Webb And Armstrong...news...howard David?

thanks for the great info DIRTYCASHHOLDIN.

very interesting about Carter, LoBro and Ackerman. Getting 2/3 of those guys would be too incredible achievement considering the cap. It must depend on
The Dolphins are still trying to restructure some contracts

my ass my be in Pittsburgh...

but my hearts in Miami!:D
Honestly, I don't know about David. I don't know if I've ever heard him. I just can't imagine anyone better than Zimpfer. It's like he really cared about the Phins (I don't know if he was a true Phin fan or not, now that I know he's from PA).

You don't have to live there to be a fan!:p

just teasin' ya muck!

What's wrong with PENNSYLVANIA??

Bill Zimpher was the broadcaster for the PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS when I went to school there a while back! I am from PA and I am a diehard DOLFAN and was when I grew up in PA! I now live down here and I don't agree with decision of WQAM of letting go of ZIMPHER, I thought he was a good commentator! I live listening to WQAM and this a mistake! Maybe the Jet announcer will break the JET HEX????

You want to hear something??

David Howard was the guy who LAUGHED at us and called us the biggest chokers he'd ever seen on the Monday Night Meltdown. And now this guy is going to be the Voice of the Phins??? HELL NO!!

Some of us at DT are starting a mass email to WQAM and to Wayne Huizenga. I'll be damned if I"m gonna just let this one slide.

Also, please do not misenterperate my comment about PA. What I meant was that Zimpfer might have really been a Steelers fan or something. But now I seriously doubt it. Miami was his first pro gig. And you could tell that the Phins were really his team.

I don't want him to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, the people that are knocking Howard David have never heard him do play by play.
Beleive me, I am as big of a dolfan as the next guy, but, I could care less that this guy worked for the jests.
BTW, so did Detric Ward and Ray Lucas. They are dolphins now and I support and root for them.
This will be the same for David.
This guy is outstanding doing play by play.
I truly looked forward to listening to a MNF game on the radio because he was painting the pictures for me.
Plus, he's got a GREAT voice.
That being said, I am a big Bill Zimpher fan.
He took a little getting used to at first, but, he grew on you.
I think you just need to hear Howard David once and you will understand why the move was made.

WQAM FIRES BILL ZIMPFER AS VotD, HIRES JETS ANNOUNCER!!!!!

Bill Zimpfer has been the Dolphins' play-by-play announcer for the last 16 years. He is a huge Dolphin fan and, with Mandich, is a broadcast combo that has entertained Dolphin fans for a long, long time. Moreover, Zimpfer is a FANTASTIC play-by-play announcer.

WQAM has fired Bill Zimpfer and has tentatively hired Some NYJ announcer named Howard Davis who is a HUGE JET FAN and is the voice on that horrible NFL FILM "Midnight Miracle" (terrible loss at NYJ on monday night a year ago), who is heard LAUGHING his stinking NYJ JACKASS OFF and yelling "CHOKE!!!, CHOKE!!!, HA H AH AH AHAH HAAA".

WTF Kind of idea is this? Everyone PLEASE email WQAM General Manager greg@wqam.com and voice your displeasure. I will NOT sit and listen to a Jet fan call Dolphin games. Screw THAT.

No matter how many fans complain about it, I can't see them overturning their decision.

I'm still going to complain, however.

I don't get WQAM, but I listen to it online during Dolphins games sometimes and this pisses me off. He was a good announcer and I don't want a Jets fan to call Dolphins games! :fire:

This kind of reminds of when the Heat first started. They hired Sam Smith as announcer away from another team, either the Lakers or the Jazz, I don't remember which.

I hope that history doesn't repeat itself because despite his seemingly great reputation he wasn't that good. He was fired after a year or two.

I'm also with those who can't see a Jets supporter as the voice of the Dolphins. They're the enemy.:fire:

Back
Top Bottom