I'm now on the "take a WR in the 1st" bandwagon | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm now on the "take a WR in the 1st" bandwagon

Smithboy said:
Auburn QB = Jason Campbell. He's got great physical ability and his accuracy has improved over his years there, but he's got a huge red flag above his head. The guy scored an AWFUL 14 (or something close to it) on his NFL Wonderlic test. This may not be the end-all be-all on intelligence, but that indicates stupidity, folks.

I liked him too until I found that out. We don't need Isaac Newton throwing the ball, but I'd definately prefer the guy orchestrating our offense to have a respectable amount of brainpower. Gotta wonder if he'd be capable of mastering an NFL offense, too.

All this depends on how much stock you put into that test, but it's a concern.

Yes he retested though, and scored much higher. Some didn't like this, but I'm basically going to quote the MMQ, it shows that he worked to improve one of his defencincies.

Another QB I feel may be a steal (Havn't heard any hype about him at all anywhere) The ex FS QB, who was accused of gambling. He'll go late in the draft. I'd rather have cambell though. Its not up to me, but I"d take him. We'll all know if I was right in a couple years. I trust sabaan though.

In comparison, Jim Druckenmiller wasn't considered the brightest bulb in the draft, but San Fran fell in love with his cannon & competitiveness, and pulled the trigger in Round 1.

We all know how that turned out.

If Campbell works out for a club, though, he could be a steal.

He's definately got the ability.

So essentially you are on the "waste our first pick" bandwagon. We can't pass if we can't run, just like we couldn't run when we couldn't pass. one dimensional is one dimensional. Defenses can take any one facet of an offense away.

How would a star receiver be a waste of a pick. Im really not on any bandwagon for our first pick. Im just glad we have a high choice and will support whatever we decide to do. We brought saban in for a reason, let him make the decisions, we arent general managers.

I really hope we dont see a million "we wasted our first round pick" posts after the draft. You have to trust your coach and the decision makers. We wont be able to tell if we made the right choice until the season starts, so just sit back and relax. For god sakes the eagles fans bood mcnabb cause they all wanted ricky williams!

You know, alot of people are talking about the weak draft, and how they wouldn't want a high pick in this draft. I think their wrong. While for other teams, this may be true. Maybe theres not a true #1 pick (Although I think williams is the player that deserves this, good thing SF need a QB :) ) I think this draft has exactly what we need. Depth at the offensive positions. What do we need to upgrade? Our offense.

SuperDuperFan said:
How would a star receiver be a waste of a pick. Im really not on any bandwagon for our first pick. Im just glad we have a high choice and will support whatever we decide to do. We brought saban in for a reason, let him make the decisions, we arent ...general managers.

I really hope we dont see a million "we wasted our first round pick" posts after the draft. You have to trust your coach and the decision makers. We wont be able to tell if we made the right choice until the season starts, so just sit back and relax. For god sakes the eagles fans bood mcnabb cause they all wanted ricky williams!

It's a waste of a high pick for the reason I stated (one dimensional offense). Just in case people have forgotten, a receiver needs someone to throw him the ball. AJ might be adequate or better eventually, but he is not a one man show like Marino.

I personally don't feel that smith is the guy. I wouldn't be suprised if he becomes a bust. I'd feel much more comfortable drafting cambell in the 2nd round myself.

If we end up drafting a RB in the first round, I can accept that. I don't want either of the top 2 QB's though.

And a WR in the first round will be drafting the BPA.

He already is fourth on USC's career receptions list (176) and has 12 100-yard receiving games in his young career. His 176 career catches is tied for 12th on the Pac-10 list and his 2,579 career receiving yards is 16th on the Pac-10 chart (fifth on the USC ladder). He has 30 touchdown catches in his 26-game career, having eclipsed the USC career TD reception record 3 games before the end of his sophomore season (the Pac-10 career TD reception mark is 32 by Stanford's Ken Margerum in 1977-80). His 30 career TDs are the most by any Trojan sophomore ever at any position. He has had multiple TD games 9 times, including 3 times getting a USC game record-tying 3 TDs. He is averaging a touchdown every 6.1 times he touches the ball (30 TDs on 184 touches, including his 5 rushes and 3 pass attempts). He is the only Trojan with 2 seasons of 80-plus catches. He is the third Trojan (with Keyshawn Johnson and Keary Colbert) to have a pair of 1,000-yard receiving seasons.

Bumping this cause I keep replying to draft threads stating what I wrote here

AZStryker said:
It's a waste of a high pick for the reason I stated (one dimensional offense). Just in case people have forgotten, a receiver needs someone to throw him the ball. AJ might be adequate or better eventually, but he is not a one man show like Marino.

It is hardly a waste of a pick nor do we have adequate depth at WR. CC and Booker are the only real 2 guys we have worth anything. We don't have a solid #3 receiver and god forbid either CC or Booker gets injured....and we're stuck like we were a couple years ago scrambling to bring back aged veteran star receivers (ala Carter) only to be able to accomplish nothing. No passing game = no running game against 8 man fronts...every down. See how well good old Ricky (better then any RB in the draft as of this moment) did. Not Ricky...no one can do well in that scenario.

Your arguments, while appearing to be sound, are flawed and we've already experienced the problems associated with not having solid WRs regardless of what great RB you have.

I don't think taking a WR is a waste of a pick, I do however feel that taking one if the 1st round is though. There's more depth at WR than there is at RB in this draft and the guy I'm looking at is Craig Bragg who could easilly fall to us in the 5th round and provide us with a good 3rd option behing Chambers and Booker. Right now, with those two guys in the lineup it probably gives us the most talent at any one position on our offence heading into the season and taking a WR with so high a pick all it's doing is simply putting all of our eggs in one basket. If we can't run the ball we're not going to be able to throw it either. Take the RB to give ourselves a good running game and thus a balanced offence finally and then worry about complimenting the two receivers we've already got.

I agree....but no RB is going to be able to run if our passing game doesn't improve. NO RB. Ricky didn't....why is Caddy, Benson, Brown going to be able to do something Ricky couldn't? This is a very recent lesson we learned and it's amazing that so many have forgotten.

Linehan's offense requires more 3 and 4 receiver sets then we've used the past few years and a WR at #2 would provide us 3 excellent WRs as well as mediocrity at depth. That should lessen the 8 man fronts.....stop more blitzing.....and allow the line to open more holes and have one less man to push/block to allow the RBs we do have....to do something.

btw....it wasn't so much a strong running game we needed for Marino as much as a Defense......that's the ironic part. After Dan left....our Defense has been excellent.

jbond said:
I agree....but no RB is going to be able to run if our passing game doesn't improve. NO RB. Ricky didn't....why is Caddy, Benson, Brown going to be able to do something Ricky couldn't? This is a very recent lesson we learned and it's amazing that so many have forgotten.

Linehan's offense requires more 3 and 4 receiver sets then we've used the past few years and a WR at #2 would provide us 3 excellent WRs as well as mediocrity at depth. That should lessen the 8 man fronts.....stop more blitzing.....and allow the line to open more holes and have one less man to push/block to allow the RBs we do have....to do something.

I see your point and I agree to a certain extent. I just feel that there's better value in the later rounds at WR than there is at RB. A guy like Craphonso Thorpe who is also a decent stretch the field guy could be available in the 3rd or 4th round, Craig Bragg who I mentioned before could develop into a solid possession receiver, Mark Bradely from Oklahoma has decent size and good speed (6'1" 3/8, 201 lbs. 4.40) and is a playmaker. There's quite a bit of depth that we can still make good use of in those 3 and 4 receiver sets. But, if we wait on a RB by the time our name is called in Round 3 we're going to be picking from the dregs of the RB pool and won't get nearly as talented a back as we could in the first. I understand that the same can be said about a WR but with two guys like Booker and Chambers it's not as pressing as getting a good RB is in my mind.

Fair enough and I understand your point. I just think in Linehan's offense WR and QB is going to be more of a need then RB.

Back
Top Bottom