I'm now on the "take a WR in the 1st" bandwagon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm now on the "take a WR in the 1st" bandwagon

Tommatt

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I've been lurking at these forums for awhile now, decided to register last night to post about our early bye week. Been a Miami fan since a kid, not sure how, as I lived in Dayton, OH untill I was 12, then moved to California. :confused:

Anyways, back to the draft. Deep down, I really would like a top RB. Why do you ask? Because all those years we had marino, and never could get a RB for him!!!! But its not hte smart thing for us to do in this draft. And I"ve been looking at some of the deeper talent, and actually considering whats available, and best for us.

One of the top 2 WR's would be the smartest thing for us to do. They've been said that they are actually the BPA in the draft. But all of us up top have so many glaring needs. Even trading down, while one of the top RB's will still be available, one of the two WR will be available too, and would be the BPA for whatever position we draft in. Chambers, our 1st round draft pick, and booker. We'd have explosivness, and a good possession reciever. I believe booker will have an outstanding year. I remember how good he was on the bears a few years back.

Now for the second round. I know want smith or rodgers as our QB. Who do I want? The kid from auburn. Everything I've read says that this kid can play, and may even be more talented than smith or rodgers.

Right now, I feel on the draft that we have stolen a 1st round QB, and if we trade with TB, and get a WR, stole the best player in the draft after trading down!!

3rd round is where we pick up a RB. There will still be a good one available. ANd the more I read about our new offense, right where we should pick one. WIth gordon, and minor, sharing time with our 3rd round choice, I believe we could have a very potent offense. Who starts at QB? While I think our draft choice could do it, whoever wins it in camp. A year of understudying never hurt anyone.

Our later rounds. BPA for the OL or defense. And maybe taking a risk on Maurice Clarrett in the 6th or 7th. (While it may not be smart to take another rb, if he does break out, we could trade one of them. Who knows what clarett will be worth in a year or two, if he does what he did at ohio state. This boy was GREAT in college. Off the field problems? What did he heave besides the NCAA violations. Whoever takes the chance on him, will be greatly rewarded I feel. Look at his work eithic to get in shape for the columbine. I know he quit, but what did he do? Went back to the gym, and worked his *** off)

My thoughts. I think that this would put us on the track to success, long term, and still allow us to compete this year.

we already have plenty of WR's no need to waste the pick. We're going for a QB

Tommatt said:
I've been lurking at these forums for awhile now, decided to register last night to post about our early bye week. Been a Miami fan since a kid, not sure how, as I lived in Dayton, OH untill I was 12, then moved to California. :confused:

Anyways, back to the draft. Deep down, I really would like a top RB. Why do you ask? Because all those years we had marino, and never could get a RB for him!!!! But its not hte smart thing for us to do in this draft. And I"ve been looking at some of the deeper talent, and actually considering whats available, and best for us.

One of the top 2 WR's would be the smartest thing for us to do. They've been said that they are actually the BPA in the draft. But all of us up top have so many glaring needs. Even trading down, while one of the top RB's will still be available, one of the two WR will be available too, and would be the BPA for whatever position we draft in. Chambers, our 1st round draft pick, and booker. We'd have explosivness, and a good possession reciever. I believe booker will have an outstanding year. I remember how good he was on the bears a few years back.

Now for the second round. I know want smith or rodgers as our QB. Who do I want? The kid from auburn. Everything I've read says that this kid can play, and may even be more talented than smith or rodgers.

Right now, I feel on the draft that we have stolen a 1st round QB, and if we trade with TB, and get a WR, stole the best player in the draft after trading down!!

3rd round is where we pick up a RB. There will still be a good one available. ANd the more I read about our new offense, right where we should pick one. WIth gordon, and minor, sharing time with our 3rd round choice, I believe we could have a very potent offense. Who starts at QB? While I think our draft choice could do it, whoever wins it in camp. A year of understudying never hurt anyone.

Our later rounds. BPA for the OL or defense. And maybe taking a risk on Maurice Clarrett in the 6th or 7th. (While it may not be smart to take another rb, if he does break out, we could trade one of them. Who knows what clarett will be worth in a year or two, if he does what he did at ohio state. This boy was GREAT in college. Off the field problems? What did he heave besides the NCAA violations. Whoever takes the chance on him, will be greatly rewarded I feel. Look at his work eithic to get in shape for the columbine. I know he quit, but what did he do? Went back to the gym, and worked his *** off)

My thoughts. I think that this would put us on the track to success, long term, and still allow us to compete this year.

I agree with the way you want the draft to go, except I do not want Edwards. I want Mike Williams. If we are faced with drafting Edwards or a different position, then I would go with the different position.

Tommatt said:

Our later rounds. BPA for the OL or defense. And maybe taking a risk on Maurice Clarrett in the 6th or 7th. (While it may not be smart to take another rb, if he does break out, we could trade one of them. Who knows what clarett will be worth in a year or two, if he does what he did at ohio state. This boy was GREAT in college. Off the field problems? What did he heave besides the NCAA violations. Whoever takes the chance on him, will be greatly rewarded I feel. Look at his w...ork eithic to get in shape for the columbine. I know he quit, but what did he do? Went back to the gym, and worked his *** off)

So essentially you are on the "waste our first pick" bandwagon. We can't pass if we can't run, just like we couldn't run when we couldn't pass. one dimensional is one dimensional. Defenses can take any one facet of an offense away.

msg said:
we already have plenty of WR's no need to waste the pick. We're going for a QB

How is it a waste, when from everything we know about our new offense, we'll be using alot of 3 WR sets.

Also, I love chambers, fell in love with him the way he produced in his rookie season, and I know he hasn't had much of a QB throwing to him. THat and wanny ball. Lets run, run, run, play action throw long. But is he a #1 WR in the league? Or a great #2. Booker is a great possesion reciever, and with these 3 WR's, I really feel our offense would be explosive.

I would also prefer williams over edwards.

As for saying we're going for a QB, I really think the guy from auburn (Forgot his name) is going to be a great QB, if not this year, he'll start somewhere next year.

ANd one dimensional? There will still be very good RB's available late. Like the 3rd round. This draft is very RB talented.

AZStryker said:
So essentially you are on the "waste our first pick" bandwagon. We can't pass if we can't run, just like we couldn't run when we couldn't pass. one dimensional is one dimensional. Defenses can take any one facet of an offense away.

There is a lot of depth at the RB position. We should be able to pick one up in the 2nd (if we get one via a trade) or third.

I agree to take a WR in the first. However, I have a few reasons. The first and most wide-spread around here is that there is a LOAD of great rb's in this draft. A guy that would normally go in the first will probably go late 2 maybe 3rd round this year. So we can still get a solid player later...

MY second reason and one that I have not heard anyone else mention... is that the average career of a RB is 5-7 years. A WR typically last 12+ years. That reason alone argues that this 'superstar' (whether it is a RB or a WR) which we will get with the number 2 overall pick will contribute for 5+ years or 12+ years!? I'd rather get a stud WR that we will have for a decade and then get another RB later.

Auburn QB = Jason Campbell. He's got great physical ability and his accuracy has improved over his years there, but he's got a huge red flag above his head. The guy scored an AWFUL 14 (or something close to it) on his NFL Wonderlic test. This may not be the end-all be-all on intelligence, but that indicates stupidity, folks.

I liked him too until I found that out. We don't need Isaac Newton throwing the ball, but I'd definately prefer the guy orchestrating our offense to have a respectable amount of brainpower. Gotta wonder if he'd be capable of mastering an NFL offense, too.

All this depends on how much stock you put into that test, but it's a concern.

arsenal said:
theres depth at WR too where we could get one in the 2nd...

True, I guess it comes down to 1. I feel Williams is the best player in the draft and 2. I feel like there is a smaller gap between the RBs of round one and the RB's of round two than there is between the WRs of round one and the WRs of round two.

Back
Top Bottom