I'm officially concerned about Fletcher... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm officially concerned about Fletcher...

Fletch was ok. The only question I have, is why Fletcher was covering Patton. With Brown out, Patton is the go to guy. Why put our worst corner on their best guy?

Must have been the same logic that kept Bates from putting Madison on Harrison until very late in the Indy game.

The Dolphins don't usually have their corners cover specific receivers so the other team can scheme for there best to be on our worst. But I didn't watch closely enough today to tell for sure.

Well the Dolphins don't

... move their DB's around, they play a zone defense. They each have a zone they play. Even though they play press, they are a zone defense. Offenses will scheme to get the matchups they want. Obviously they wanted Patten on Fletcher, and it worked. I haven't looked at the play again, but I'll bet they moved Patten in motion or he ran a crossing route to get into Fletchers zone.

And FYI, Madison went on Harrison, because Fletch was tired. He was covering Harrison all day. Madison did it on his own, it wasn't a coaches call. I bet it never happens again.

Oliver...

Originally posted by PhinKev
Fletch was ok. The only question I have, is why Fletcher was covering Patton. With Brown out, Patton is the go to guy. Why put our worst corner on their best guy?

Must have been the same logic that kept Bates from putting Madison on Harrison until very late in the Indy game.

Re: Well the Dolphins don't

Originally posted by Oliver
And FYI, Madison went on Harrison, because Fletch was tired. He was covering Harrison all day. Madison did it on his own, it wasn't a coaches call. I bet it never happens again.

I didn't know that. I guess I gave Bates too much credit. I'm not sure I accept the argument that teams who play zone (and we only do it some of the time) cannot put their better cover guys on the better receivers. We have to be able to adjust.

Sometimes you get some bad matchups based on movement or formations and you have to live with it. Offensive coordinators get paid too, but I'm not a big fan of watching the defense repeatedly line up our weak point with another teams strength.

With that said, and even with a couple of blown coverages, the defense did a very good job. Jamar actually made a some plays, even if he got toasted on the TD pass. That can happen, even to Sam or Patrick, though Jamar really needs to remember to look back for the ball.

I was glad to see the front four get pressure, because we are not a very good blitzing team so far this year.

Originally posted by PhinKev

Branch was their go to guy and we doubled him - he had 13 catches ag the Bolts. Seemed like mostly Fletch was on Hayes early which makes sense, but they did get him ag. Patten late when they were in hurry up and spread. He played well for the whole game, but totally sucked on Patten's TD. He was there with solid coverage (unlike what Jerry Wilson would do in 2000), but Patten must have baited him into thinking that ball was not coming or something since he never looked back until there were 6 pts on the board :(

He's still a decent 3rd CB, just way below what I would have expect from him.

Guys , The beef I have with fletch is he csot us a 1st rd pick and does not play 1st round ball. In reviewing that draft we could have had Fred Smoot( redskins) who is by far a better corner then Fletch. I hope he pans out... I mean I am sure we are all pulling for him but ,seriously ,I dont think he will get it. Even when Surtain was coming along his 1st 2 yrs as Bukleys back up , you could see that he was a star in the making.. I just dont see that with Jamar.

Smoot was not an option...

... he had too many character issues as far as this franchise is concerned.

I disagree about Surtain, he still had question marks when he replaced T-Buck. Thankfully he showed he is one of the better CB's in the NFL. But he wasn't considered that until he proved he was, and it took longer than 21 regular season games.

Oliver...

Originally posted by aquaman
Guys , The beef I have with fletch is he csot us a 1st rd pick and does not play 1st round ball. In reviewing that draft we could have had Fred Smoot( redskins) who is by far a better corner then Fletch. I hope he pans out... I mean I am sure we are all pulling for him but ,seriously ,I dont think he will get it. Even when Surtain was coming along his 1st 2 yrs as Bukleys back up , you could see that he was a star in the making.. I just dont see that with Jamar.

well the draft is funny like that. How many 1st round bust have we had. Im not saying he's a bust. We have made worse decision in the past then fletch.

Re: Well the Dolphins don't

Originally posted by Oliver
... move their DB's around, they play a zone defense. They each have a zone they play. Even though they play press, they are a zone defense.

The Dolphins are playing more zone defense this year but because they don't match up to certain receivers doesn't mean it's a zone defense. They have been playing zone when the offense bunches up its WR. This is to avoid the picks that can result when each CB covers a certain receiver. On the TD they scored over Fletcher I didn't notice any over the top help. Same with Madison, he was so faked out or pushed he wasn't in the picture when the catch was made.

the only opinion that counts says

(On the play of Jamar Fletcher in Sunday’s game) – “Jamar played pretty good. It’s a shame because it seems like in every game there is one play but with that position, that can be the difference between winning and losing. He made two or three nice plays. They tried getting across the middle on him and he made some nice tackles. On that play, he was actually deeper than the receiver. The receiver did not run by him. He had great coverage on him. He had good position. He didn’t get around to see the ball. Obviously the nature of that position doesn’t allow for mistakes back there because usually they result in big plays or touchdowns. Overall, he’s playing good.â€Â

Wanne - http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/coachscorner/coachscorner.asp?contentID=170

Back
Top Bottom