I'm Proud Of Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm Proud Of Miami

The second best Safety in the draft at pick 11? I don’t get everyone’s excitement. To me, a Safety is something you pick up in round 3. I doubt anyone is applauding this in 3 years.

second best safety?

pretty much every prospect ranking and mock draft had fitzpatrick ranked as the best safety and going before James (if that's who you were referring to as the best safety).

second best safety?

pretty much every prospect ranking and mock draft had fitzpatrick ranked as the best safety and going before James (if that's who you were referring to as the best safety).

IMO it doesn't matter. Reading about the guys, I don't watch College ball so can't base my opinions on watching them, Minkah sounds like the better fit for us. It sounds like he's the better coverage/center fielder type safety which is what we needed. His testing scares me a bit but based on his football it's a great pick.

oh, he is definitely a better fit for us.

he is also a better pro prospect than derwin james (who i loved).

This is the day when I am almost always disappointed with the Dolphins ... not today! We took a guy who is a home run. This is the Honeybadger without the baggage ... the Honeybadger with prototypical size ... the Honeybadger with elite speed. This is the guy who can become not only our best defender, but also a guy who can compete for Defensive MVP in the league during his career. This is the coach on the field. He is that guy who elevates the players around him. He is the organizing safety we always need. He is the ballhawking safety we always lack. He may be young, but he's the guy who takes the great athletics of these young DB's and brings out the best in them, helps them get in the right spot, helps them learn to study film like a maniac and tackle like a madman. He is the guy who nullifies good slots and tough matchup TE's. Does he shut down Gronkowski? No ... but neither does anyone else. But when we play the Ravens ... they don't make us look like complete chumps at will by simply dumping everything just beyond the LB line, laughing at our LB's trying to cover anybody and our gutsy but undersized nickel back trying to handle big TE's.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, best name in the draft, better person, even better player. Maybe ... just maybe ... he's the guy to show the coaches that a true free safety is a wonderful thing. Too often teams get seduced by the underwear Olympics ... and while Fitz has the athleticism to make you drool and the size to give personnel people woodies, this dude is no workout warrior. Fitz is just a great football player wrapped in the prototypical athlete. If he were a receiver, I would explain him as a Randy Moss specimen with a Jerry Rice approach to the game. How can you possibly get better than that?

Fitz is one of the very best players in this draft, and we got a steal at 11. I'm floored he was available. I'm ecstatic we again did the right thing by staying there and picking the talent. I'm giddy that we scooped up one of the top talents in the entire draft at a position of need just like we did with Laremy Tunsil. But Fitz has no character issues, has no motivation issues, has no injury issues, and is a born leader. Yes ... give me THAT package at 11 please!

This is the day when I am almost always disappointed with the Dolphins ... not today! We took a guy who is a home run. This is the Honeybadger without the baggage ... the Honeybadger with prototypical size ... the Honeybadger with elite speed. This is the guy who can become not only our best defender, but also a guy who can compete for Defensive MVP in the league during his career. This is the coach on the field. He is that guy who elevates the players around him. He is the organizing safety we always need. He is the ballhawking safety we always lack. He may be young, but he's the guy who takes the great athletics of these young DB's and brings out the best in them, helps them get in the right spot, helps them learn to study film like a maniac and tackle like a madman. He is the guy who nullifies good slots and tough matchup TE's. Does he shut down Gronkowski? No ... but neither does anyone else. But when we play the Ravens ... they don't make us look like complete chumps at will by simply dumping everything just beyond the LB line, laughing at our LB's trying to cover anybody and our gutsy but undersized nickel back trying to handle big TE's.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, best name in the draft, better person, even better player. Maybe ... just maybe ... he's the guy to show the coaches that a true free safety is a wonderful thing. Too often teams get seduced by the underwear Olympics ... and while Fitz has the athleticism to make you drool and the size to give personnel people woodies, this dude is no workout warrior. Fitz is just a great football player wrapped in the prototypical athlete. If he were a receiver, I would explain him as a Randy Moss specimen with a Jerry Rice approach to the game. How can you possibly get better than that?

Fitz is one of the very best players in this draft, and we got a steal at 11. I'm floored he was available. I'm ecstatic we again did the right thing by staying there and picking the talent. I'm giddy that we scooped up one of the top talents in the entire draft at a position of need just like we did with Laremy Tunsil. But Fitz has no character issues, has no motivation issues, has no injury issues, and is a born leader. Yes ... give me THAT package at 11 please!
The best part is that he is a free safety where as James was more strong safety. Minkah should gel very nicely with Jones.

second best safety?

Pretty much every prospect ranking? First place I search, NFL.com rates James number 1 (6.44 rating). Fitzpatrick number 2 at 6.19 rating. James is bigger, longer reach, better jumper, just as fast. Fitzpatrick will not be able to play CB in the NFL. His hips are too tight. So we got a Safety. Did I miss where Alabama DBs with the excellent tutelage of Saint Nick are lighting up the NFL? I think Vea was the better option. Rare size/speed combination. I get that nobody agrees with me. I get that you all hated Vea. Time will tell.

Pretty much every prospect ranking? First place I search, NFL.com rates James number 1 (6.44 rating). Fitzpatrick number 2 at 6.19 rating. James is bigger, longer reach, better jumper, just as fast. Fitzpatrick will not be able to play CB in the NFL. His hips are too tight. So we got a Safety. Did I miss where Alabama DBs with the excellent tutelage of Saint Nick are lighting up the NFL? I think Vea was the better option. Rare size/speed combination. I get that nobody agrees with me. I get that you all hated Vea. Time will tell.

I didn't hate Vea.

But it was a top 5-ish pick vs. a top 15-ish pick (for me).

As the draft approached several outlets that had ranked fitzpatrick well ahead of James reversed their positions (well after the combine and pro days).

Watch Fitzpatrick get burned by a college walk on TWICE for touchdowns. Start clip at 1:05 and go to 3 min mark.

The fact that there seems to stability over the last few years on Draft Day is a testament to Gase. We didn't do anything crazy like trade 3 picks this year and a first next year or some crap like that, no! just steady as she goes....taking our time and putting together a good football team. Now, let's get a TE and LB and put the icing on the cake.

The second best Safety in the draft at pick 11? I don’t get everyone’s excitement. To me, a Safety is something you pick up in round 3. I doubt anyone is applauding this in 3 years.
Because the NFL is dynamic and always changing. Now the emphasis is put on pass defense. Someone pointed out back in February teams are taking out linebackers for nickels and dime formations almost every play. In today's game linebackers are becoming extinct unless they can cover effectively. That my friend is why;)

I guess your happy.:laugh I do not see why some people are disappointed with this pick. Maybe we did not get the player they wanted , Hell, I wanted Edmunds, but I am more than ecstatic with Fitz. He is clearly one of the 5 best players in this draft. I will go on record saying, barring injury, he will go to Multiple Pro Bowls and may even win Defensive Rookie of the Year if everything goes right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom