IMHO, our biggest problem: LT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IMHO, our biggest problem: LT

PressCoverage

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
i, for one, am not thrilled about ANY of our options for left tackle...

St. Clair is a turnstile, always has been...

Carey is a guard, plain and simple; he has a guard's body -- at best, it would be like when the cowboys put Larry Allen at tackle... decent, but not getting the most out of him...

McIntosh is, well.., not very good, in my opinion....

I can't believe this team hasn't been able to find a talented left tackle since Webb... it has cost the Dolphins many MANY victories in recent years (think Colts game at home in '03, for one of many examples)

i 2nd that! but of course our o line coach will help the lt posistion:shakeno:

I'd say the QB position has been a greater reason for any losses than left tackle. Left Tackle is an important position (the highest paid player on the O-Line) but it won't cost you a football game. You really think the colt's game was lost because of Wade Smith? Miami was losing at the time that the sack occurred, the QB fumbled, the Defense let the Colts score (multiple times).

tee money what does your sig mean? actually what is the picture of the man suppose to be?

TeeMoney said:
I'd say the QB position has been a greater reason for any losses than left tackle. Left Tackle is an important position (the highest paid player on the O-Line) but it won't cost you a football game. You really think the colt's game was lost because of Wade Smith? Miami was losing at the time that the sack occurred, the QB fumbled, the Defense let the Colts score (multiple times).

ummm... yes i do... directly because of Wade Smith, actually... it was a complete whiff in the last two minutes on the Colts' 15-yardline and Griese was looking to his right when Freeney came from behind within 2 seconds... here's the herald grade from that game:

• Offensive line - F: Miami couldn't get any push (a pathetic 2.8 yards per carry) and couldn't protect Griese, either (five sacks). As bad as the offensive line has played this season, this was its worst performance of the year. Colts defensive end Freeney spent the fourth quarter on his cellphone in the huddle, making hotel reservations for the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. ... Griese played well enough to win Sunday. It was his offensive line that betrayed him.

ya... and then, of course, there was this story:

Herald.com | 11/03/2003 | Freeney rules rookie Wade

A few key things to remember when it comes to LT position and our O-line for that matter.

1.) Hudson Houck
2.) Damion McIntosh is healthy and will get a FULL Training Camp and offseason with us to practice while learning the new system.
3.) Hudson Houck
4.) We also have Vernon Carey available if D-Mac doesn't cut it.
5.) Hudson Houck

St. Clair is best suited for LT, he'll be the swing tackle and back up both LT and RT.

Carey, cannot, and never will be able to, play LT.

PressCoverage said:

Carey is a guard, plain and simple; he has a guard's body -- at best, it would be like when the cowboys put Larry Allen at tackle... decent, but not getting the most out of him...

I can't believe this team hasn't been able to find a talented left tackle since Webb... it has cost the Dolphins many MANY victories in recent years (think Colts game at home in '03, for one of many examples)

St. Claire was pretty good last year, not turnstile at all, but he is not really suited to be a LT.

Carey is the same, and far from having to be a guard. He could be an excellent RT. He will most likely end up at guard, and that's fine, because on the right side, you want run blockers, and he is good at that already.

Macintosh should do a lot better with some pretty good coaching. Remember that he was coming off a pretty bad injury last year, and well, Tony Wise is not the best at teaching players to get better.

So while I disagree on your points, I do agree on the premise of your thread.

I agree, i just dont think the Phins have addressed it. I mean Houck is a very good coach, but even he himself said you cant make Chicken Salad with Chicken ****, and unfortunatley thats what we have here. We've got Young talent from the Wanny era, you could turn out to be something if coached right, but right now i for one think it looks grim.

i agree with carey, i don´t see him as a LT, a RT maybe but i think he could be a very good guard in this league, RG would be nice, this is why i hope our 1st pick next year is at LT and not QB

PressCoverage said:

Hey Press, welcome back! :)

I have to say that I had my concerns about the OL as well, but I really feel that having a year under their belts (playing together) and actually getting an OL coach that knows what he is doing will do wonders for this offense. Will there be any pro-bowlers from the line this year? Probably not......but I have a feeling that the new scheme will help each linemen play to his strength and the blocking schemes will give them every opportunity to succeed.

Is this blind faith? Absolutely. I just feel that the level of play from our OL can only go up from where it at the end of last season.

And this is the biggest problem of about half the teams in the league. But McIntosh has been serviceable at LT when he's been fully healthy, and with the way Houck teaches the line to play as a unit, a single position won't be as important as it's been in years past.

Left Tackle may end up being a big problem area. I don't think Vernon Carey can play there, I think St. Clair will start at RT, and I guess that leaves McIntosh at left tackle being reunited with Houck hopefully helps him out. I'm not quite sure what I would label the biggest problem but it would be Lt, Dt, Safety, or Qb.

Back
Top Bottom