IMO... We gotta take a qb (long post) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IMO... We gotta take a qb (long post)

f4illwill

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Iv'e always thought that what makes a quarterback is what's in his head, not what's in his arm. A perfect example of this is a guy like Ryan Leaf, or our own AJ Feeley. Both of these guys have incredible talent when it comes to throwing a football, but they just don't possess the leadership qualities or confidence in the pocket required to run an NFL offense. This is why QB is different from almost any other position on the field, when it comes to positions such as defensive line or runningback you can be good and get by on athletic ability alone. It has become apparent that this is not the case with quarterback.
This is why I like Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith. Both of these guys are not only incredibly accurate, have great arms, and possess good mechanics, but they also have the mentality needed to play QB in the NFL. Both are very confident in their abilities, they are very knowledgable of the game, and they are both very smart players. They have intangibles that a guy like AJ Feeley just does not have. I give AJ a lot of credit for hanging tough last year, and doing the best he could with that offense, but I don't think he has what it takes. Rodgers or Smith would be better than Feeley coming right out of college.
I also think that runningback is a much easier position to find talent at than QB is. We are much more likely to find an NFL ready RB in the 3rd round than we are to find an NFL ready QB in the 3rd. There will be RBs available in the 3rd that can play in the NFL, these guys include Marion Barber, Ciatrack Fason, JJ Arrington, and others.
I don't know about you guys, but I don't ever wanna have another disgusting year of deer in the headlights QBs that do nothing but throw picks that go the other way for TDs. This last year was no short of embarassing when it came to QB play, and even though Feeley didn't get a lot of help from his running game, offensive line, and coaching staff he still made incredibly bad decisions that an NFL QB can't make.
So in short, Rodgers or Smith in '05!!!

And what if the rookie flops also? A RB wont flop.

I agree with u on s few points, BUt with a Running game and a o-line idont think Aj will make bad decisions with the football, he didnt against New England or Cleveland, or San Fran ya kno he just needs time. But if Saban drafts a QB for our Pick I would be cool with it cuz its not my decision and he's the coach who knows whats best for his team

I agree. Too much emphasis is put on physical abilities and not enough on intelligence. Intelligence is more important than incredible physical abilities. While physical abilities are obviously important, you have to have the smarts to put them to work. You can have average physical tools and excel in the NFL. You can have dominating abilities and be terrible. A combination of both would be nice. Smith and Rogers have both. Hopefully, if we draft one, they will be a good or great one. But, as any other year or crop of QBs, it's too hard to tell until they get on the field.

Pick Fitzpatrick then 50 score in the Wonderlic.:lol:

Seriously, how could a rookie rated this high flop? Give him good circumstances and out of the hundreds of universities, out of the 2 best QB's, he has to be good some how. All those college records, statistics, and tests arent luck.

I would prefer Rodgers to Smith, but either one of these guys can get it done. There are too many questions about these RBs, Cedrick isn't looking good in workouts and I don't like his attitude. He's also already worn out from four years of carrying a huge load. I like Ronnie Brown but he did BACKUP in college even though he's gone tons of ability, Caddie has had some injury issues and I don't know if he has the power and every down ability needed at the NFL level. I honestly think a QB is a safer bet at #2 overall. I actually like the RBs that will be available in the 2nd-3rd round better than the top 3.

PeterJNO said:
Seriously, how could a rookie rated this high flop? Give him good circumstances and out of the hundreds of universities, out of the 2 best QB's, he has to be good some how. All those college records, statistics, and tests arent luck.

...One name for ya Ryan Leaf

Bill Walsh once said "more drafting mistakes are made on quarterbacks than at any other position." The Chargers selected Leaf, and they quickly learned exactly what Walsh was talking about.
:roflmao:
Bill Parcells wrote: "what kills a lot of quarterbacks in this league is their inability to respond to media pressure after a bad game, or a streak of bad games. This is when they find out about themselves. The ones that succeed and go on have whatever it takes to put all of the scrutiny behind them and get on with doing the job of winning." That really sums up the career of Ryan Leaf.

How do you know what is in Rogers or Smith head? Please this post is total BS. Feeley struggled in his first year with a crappy o-coordinator, no running game or online but he never gave up even when he was injured. But he doesnt have intangibles or a good head on his shoulders? Please, you have no idea how Rogers or Smith will handle the pressures of the NFL, and if you dont think a rookie qb is going to come in and make a lot of the same mistakes that AJ made you are lying to yourself.

DonShula84 said:
How do you know what is in Rogers or Smith head? Please this post is total BS. Feeley struggled in his first year with a crappy o-coordinator, no running game or online but he never gave up even when he was injured. But he doesnt have intangibles or a good head on his shoulders? Please, you have no idea how Rogers or Smith will handle the pressures of the NFL, and if you dont think a rookie qb is going to come in and make a lot of the same mistakes that AJ made you are lying to yourself.
:yeahthat:

DonShula84 said:
Please, you have no idea how Rogers or Smith will handle the pressures of the NFL, and if you dont think a rookie qb is going to come in and make a lot of the same mistakes that AJ made you are lying to yourself.

I agree, the name Eli comes to mind.

I have alot of respect for Feeley now that I think of it. Every week he played in so much pain, taking non stop pain killers, injections, etc. Getting repeatedly smashed by our sorry line. This guy needs more of a chance then anyone. He will be good if we have a great running back. Part of Indy's great passing success is their RB. And their RB still came into the top 5 with such a passing offense.

Back
Top Bottom