IMO... We gotta take a qb (long post) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IMO... We gotta take a qb (long post)

f4illwill said:
Iv'e always thought that what makes a quarterback is what's in his head, not what's in his arm. A perfect example of this is a guy like Ryan Leaf, or our own AJ Feeley. Both of these guys have incredible talent when it comes to throwing a football, but they just don't possess the leadership qualities or confidence in the pocket required to run an NFL offense. This is why QB is different from almost any other position on the field, when it comes to positions such as defensive line or runningback you can be good and get by on athletic ability alone. It has become apparent that this is not the case with quarterback.
This is why I like Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith. Both of these guys are not only incredibly accurate, have great arms, and possess good mechanics, but they also have the mentality needed to play QB in the NFL. Both are very confident in their abilities, they are very knowledgable of the game, and they are both very smart players. They have intangibles that a guy like AJ Feeley just does not have. I give AJ a lot of credit for hanging tough last year, and doing the best he could with that offense, but I don't think he has what it takes. Rodgers or Smith would be better than Feeley coming right out of college.
I also think that runningback is a much easier position to find talent at than QB is. We are much more likely to find an NFL ready RB in the 3rd round than we are to find an NFL ready QB in the 3rd. There will be RBs available in the 3rd that can play in the NFL, these guys include Marion Barber, Ciatrack Fason, JJ Arrington, and others.
I don't know about you guys, but I don't ever wanna have another disgusting year of deer in the headlights QBs that do nothing but throw picks that go the other way for TDs. This last year was no short of embarassing when it came to QB play, and even though Feeley didn't get a lot of help from his running game, offensive line, and coaching staff he still made incredibly bad decisions that an NFL QB can't make.
So in short, Rodgers or Smith in '05!!!

Well done my friend, very well said.

You have a very good grasp of the importance of the QB position.

DonShula84 said:
How do you know what is in Rogers or Smith head? Please this post is total BS. Feeley struggled in his first year with a crappy o-coordinator, no running game or online but he never gave up even when he was injured. But he doesnt have intangibles or a good head on his shoulders? Please, you have no idea how Rogers or Smith will handle the pressures of the NFL, and if you dont think a rookie qb is going to come in and make a lot of the same mistakes that AJ made you are lying to yourself.

Nobody knows what's in AJ's head, but we do have some clues. Childress, specifically said that AJ's biggest struggle was decision making. It was a problem in Philly and in Miami. We can't say for sure that Smith and Rodgers will make decisions better, but we do know that they were better at it in college than AJ. We also know that decision making is considered among their top skills.

DonShula84 said:
How do you know what is in Rogers or Smith head? Please this post is total BS. Feeley struggled in his first year with a crappy o-coordinator, no running game or online but he never gave up even when he was injured. But he doesnt have intangibles or a good head on his shoulders? Please, you have no idea how Rogers or Smith will handle the pressures of the NFL, and if you dont think a rookie qb is going to come in and make a lot of the same mistakes that AJ made you are lying to yourself.

Yea a rookie would, but AJ was a 4th year player not a rookie. He should have been more poised, he looked like a 20 yr old kid thrown into the starting lineup, not a 4yr vet that has started NFL games before. Im not sold on whether or not we should take a Qb, Id trust Saban on that, but Id much rather roll the dice on a possible franchise Qb than a Rb. We can find a good Rb pretty easily, its a buyers market with at least 3 or 4 starters available for trade, no young possible franchise Qb's are available.

'end of day one in the i am still reading this post diary- i am finnaly half way throuh it it has been painfull but its worth it

finfansince72 said:
Yea a rookie would, but AJ was a 4th year player not a rookie. He should have been more poised, he looked like a 20 yr old kid thrown into the starting lineup, not a 4yr vet that has started NFL <A title="?‰ Õb}" style="COLOR: #65b45c; TEXT-DECORATION: underline" href="à"ÆpmƒKŒP}ø×s}" target=_blank>games before.QUOTE]

Before Feeley came to the dolphins he started only 5 games. Thats not many games to gain a lot of poise. And he was pretty much thrown into the lineup Whenever Fiedler was out. Feeley is hardly a veteran.

Joey 22 said:
And what if the rookie flops also? A RB wont flop.

your right RB never flops that why i love watching ki-jana carter tear up the NFL.

Joey 22 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen....

With the ninth overall pick in the first round, I give you..

:bravo: SAMMIE SMITH :bravo:

finfansince72 said:
Yea a rookie would, but AJ was a 4th year player not a rookie. He should have been more poised, he looked like a 20 yr old kid thrown into the starting lineup, not a 4yr vet that has started NFL games before.

Say I give you a Corvette capable of 160 MPH.

But I then only let you drive that car 50 MPH for two years.

Will you even be able to tell me when you are close to 110 MPH? Plus or minus within 5 to 10 MPH?

You wouldn't and unfortunately that's what was asked of him.

ZOD said:

Will you even be able to tell me when you are close to 110 MPH? Plus or minus within 5 to 10 MPH?

|

Hmmm very strange....But makes a suprising amount of sense.:cooldude:

BlueFin said:
Well done my friend, very well said.

You have a very good grasp of the importance of the QB position.

Okay, he knows a QB needs a strong mental presence, but the rest of the post is totaly unsupportable opinion.

It is a combination of physical along with mental. Got to have both, you say Leaf, I say Jay. Jay Fiedler is very smart, sorry if you dont think so, but he is. He is just limited physically which killed him when he had to carry the whole team. Same thing happens to Pennington, tho Chad is better than Jay, but you can get Chad to make mistakes if you can make them totally one dimensional.

I wont debate Feeley anymore, that has been rehashed over and over. That situation will play itself out. What I do want to say is quit trying to make it cut and dry. There are many variables that make a qb good or bad. there is no 1 absolute.

Joey 22 said:
yeah, kijana carter and john avery were excellent. (i'm sure there are many others but i don't follow it that much.

EDIT: i just now saw everyone beat me to the punch....

ZOD said:

Say youre a Qb and you play against NFL quality defenses (good ones in philly) everyday in practice. Say you play in the preseason every year against NFL teams. Say you do this for 4 years. Say you start some games against real teams. Should you look like a 1st year rookie when you play? Absolutely not. The guy was what 27 years old this season? Acting like he has no experience is just wrong plain and simple. Fiedler didnt have a good amount of experience starting before he came here and he looked a lot better(and I cant stand Fiedler).
THeres no excuse for Feeleys poor decisions and inept play, he looked terrible last year and for a Qb thats had experience as a backup for years he should have been prepared to start any given week. Thats how he was prepared in Philly for years, he should have been ready.

Back
Top Bottom