impressed by the marked improvement of Vernon Carey | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

impressed by the marked improvement of Vernon Carey

thats funny, it didn't say anything about Carey at RG. I dont know why so many of you are projecting him there when Houck/Saban said they were moving him to compete at LT

Didn't say anything about Hadnot at center either. McKinney should be pushed though.

The best news in that article to me is this..

The inside word is that a trimmed-down Boston is determined to return to his Pro Bowl form of 2001.

A Healthy, determined, in-shape Boston? :eek: :evil:

TeeMoney said:
Didn't say anything about Hadnot at center either. McKinney should be pushed though.
I think it was said at the Phins dinner the other night, that Hadnot was being moved to center...

I think people are trying to figure out how to get our best lineman on the field together. If Stockar McDougle and Damion McInosh work out, which we really need to happen, then we can use Carey as a guard and have some serious beef. I personally don't care who starts, because I expect us to use many linemen. I think Cook and Carey both will play, even if they don't start.

What I'm REALLY encouraged by is the zone blocking scheme. This is tremendous news, IMO. This allows running backs to pick and chose their spots, because the linemen block whomever is nearest them, giving the running back the freedom to run to the open hole, rather than running to what's supposed to be an open hole. This is what Denver does and what has allowed them to produce so many running backs.

Of course, it also gives us a glimpse into the starting lineup and the type of running scheme we'll use. The Fullback is more of an offensive lineman, or a reciever out of the backfield, than a lead blocker. If the FB's leading the way, you know we're not running the zone blocking scheme. Evans or Morris, whomever starts, really has to be more of an H-Back than a traditional FB. Of course, we could also an extra tight end or wide reciever.

The article itself is pretty superficial in my opinion, but that pieces of news is HUGE. The zone blocking scheme tells us a hell of a lot about how our offense will look next season. I'm suddenly not worried about our offensive line anymore.

Now, with the pseudo 3-4 scheme we're using, that tells us a lot about our starters on defense. With Chester and Bowens out, and Keith Traylor in, I think our starting DL is Holliday and Carter on the ends and Traylor as the Nose Tackle. David Bowens, Matt roth and Larry Chester could give us a six man rotation (seven if you include Taylor). That's very good depth.

Seau and Thomas are definete starters at linebacker, but the other spot could be Crowder, Spragan, or Moore. Taylor plays the elephant backer, switching between End and LB. When he's at LB, Seau shifts to the inside. Good stuff. It means Taylor can come from anywhere. This is the same thing that the old Cowboys used to do with Charles Haley. He was exceptionally effective in the role.

The secondary is a bigger question mark to me. It might even be a bigger question mark than our offensive line. I'm not high on Mario Edwards at all, but he may have improved. He's a youngster, so it's possible. He's big, long, and rangey, but he's easily beaten, apparently. Tebucky Jones and Sam Madison are solid, but Tillman and Edwards are huge question marks, IMO. I have no idea what Saban's plans are for our secondary...

Read this article this morning and was pleasantly surprised. I was skeptical that Carey would even make the team this year.

Great read MD. It's only June and I'm getting my blood pressure up! I can't wait to read the posts after Saturdays practice!!!!!!

finmann said:
Read this article this morning and was pleasantly surprised. I was skeptical that Carey would even make the team this year.
You mean start, yeah? :confused:

jlfin said:
If Hadnot and Carey become starters and play well, I think we would have to give kudos to Rick Spielman.

I knew someone would bring that up. He certainly will get some credit, but I will debate that the value of fine coaching may have more impact and Hauck/Saban will deserve most of the credit.

i hope carey does crack the starting line we picked him high enough. for all the pepole who wanted waynes head not to long ago should be lovin him he brought in saban the crown jewel of are team which in turn brought us houck and linehan. the dolphins a 4-12 team no longer

Megatron said:
Carey is a fat pig.

What offensive lineman isn't?

There's no denying Carey has the talent (I think he should have started the whole 2nd half of the season) and hopefully Houck & Co. can get the mental and motivational aspect of the game down for him. That's where he seems to struggle the most.

Mt. Vernon has the talent to physically dominate in the NFL. He's has a massive frame and a great punch. His speed is decent enough for a man his size. He could be a pure mauler at RG.

theFreak41 said:
What I'm REALLY encouraged by is the zone blocking scheme. This is tremendous news, IMO. This allows running backs to pick and chose their spots, because the linemen block whomever is nearest them, giving the running back the freedom to run to the open hole, rather than running to what's supposed to be an open hole. This is what Denver does and what has allowed them to produce so many running backs.

I've always preferred a zone blocking scheme. It just seems to produce fewer negative yardage running plays than man blocking.

rafael said:
I've always preferred a zone blocking scheme. It just seems to produce fewer negative yardage running plays than man blocking.
Excellent point, stops backs trying to run through holes that aren't there

Back
Top Bottom