In Hindsight, Would You Have Preferred That Miami Also Trade Down In The First Round? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In Hindsight, Would You Have Preferred That Miami Also Trade Down In The First Round?

Should Miami have also traded down in the first?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hell yes! Especially if Rosen was the goal. I've been wanting to beat Grier up over this (kidding) . That way, they could have possibly built for Rosen AND OR the 2020 QB.

It was rumored Philly wanted Wilkins. Let's say they give us their second 2nd and a 2020 5th to move up 9 spots.

22. OT Andre Dillard - best pass protector in the draft.

48. OLB Ben Banogu - LB that could fill the Jamie Collins role.

57. Rosen - only trade this pick and keep our 2020 5th.

3rd. WR Hakeem Butler - Value pick in case DeVante bombs or gets injured. Trade down 3 or 4 spots to pick up an extra 6th.

4. S Amani Hooker or CB Isaiah Johnson- Hooker fits that Patrick Chung role that Reshad may not be around long enough to play. CB to maybe push for the #2 CB spot; at worst he's your #5 corner.

5. DE Charles Omenihu - We have nothing at DE so we take someone who was supposed to be a Day 2 pick.

6. RB Travis Homer - I like Homer's upside, blocking, pass-catching, and special teams ability way more than Gaskin's plus he's from the U.

7. FB Chandler Cox

7. OG Alex Bars

That's exponentially better than what we did.

Hum I am not a fan of trading with Philly or the Saints so much as IMO in the past they have gotten great trade deals from us. I understand it was Philly on the phone too. If the trade down was just less than 5 spots with reasonable compensation then yes I make the trade. No otherwise.

Well considering we actually did that, it doesnt seem like speculation lol
More like writing an article in hindsight, after the fact.

It was speculation that it was "planned" that way. I doubt Grier tipped his hand by making any such statement ahead of time.

Had he written the article before it happened, it would have been impressive...lol.

Hell yes! Especially if Rosen was the goal. I've been wanting to beat Grier up over this (kidding) . That way, they could have possibly built for Rosen AND OR the 2020 QB.

It was rumored Philly wanted Wilkins. Let's say they give us their second 2nd and a 2020 5th to move up 9 spots.

22. OT Andre Dillard - best pass protector in the draft.

48. OLB Ben Banogu - LB that could fill the Jamie Collins role.

57. Rosen - only trade this pick and keep our 2020 5th.

3rd. WR Hakeem Butler - Value pick in case DeVante bombs or gets injured. Trade down 3 or 4 spots to pick up an extra 6th.

4. S Amani Hooker or CB Isaiah Johnson- Hooker fits that Patrick Chung role that Reshad may not be around long enough to play. CB to maybe push for the #2 CB spot; at worst he's your #5 corner.

5. DE Charles Omenihu - We have nothing at DE so we take someone who was supposed to be a Day 2 pick.

6. RB Travis Homer - I like Homer's upside, blocking, pass-catching, and special teams ability way more than Gaskin's plus he's from the U.

7. FB Chandler Cox

7. OG Alex Bars

That's exponentially better than what we did.

Again, Philly didn't have 22. They had 25. We would have had to trade down to 25 and then trade up ahead of Houston to get Dillard. Seems silly.

I don't think many saw a player like Dillard falling that far...Sweat makes sense dropping due to his medical concerns, but anyone can make an informed decision having information about the future.

Right now, I have no issue with the way the draft played out.

I believe they probably tried but nobody wanted to?
There was trade offer from Philly who intended to take Wilkins, but Grier decided that he would rather take the player. Don’t know what the offer was.

Yes.

Ideally, I think you could face traded down a few more spots and still have gotten Wilkins.

But likely not realistically. There are numerous reports circulating that ATL really liked Christian and could have selected him at #14 had MIA passed.

Adam Beasley wrote an article on this very topic. There apparently was, a deal in place to trade down from #13. The deal included a #1 pick in 2020. But when Christian Wilkins slipped to Miami, who Grier, said was one of the elite DL, he decided he was too good to pass up; and selected Wilkins instead. The article also states Grier did not want to trade pick #48, because he also had a deal for a 2nd round pick in 2020. He went on to say, he doesn't want have to wait around like he did between round 2 and 4 to pick, again. He said his goal was to have options in every round. Also says that waiting will never happen again. The article sounds, as if, Grier was hell bent on acquiring more capital in 2020 and beyond. A new norm that is expected in Miami from now on?

No. I think this player fits a position of need perfectly. You have to take that every time.

You would have to show me the offer.

I am generally in favor of trading down Wilkins presented too much value to risk it without a significant return.

Well not to be repetitive, but like many people have said … it depends on what we got.

If it were like the trade-down deal we received for the 2nd round choice … yes. That would have meant getting a late choice in the same round plus the same round next year, plus the exchange. So, for a 1st that would have meant getting the #30 overall in this year's 1st round, AND a late 1st in 2020. We would have given up a 3rd round this year and received a 5th round in 2020.

Yeah, I'd make that trade 8 days a week, because we essentially get two late 1st rounders for a mid 1st rounder for only swapping a 3rd for a 5th. Sure, what we give up is today and what we receive is largely next year … but we're rebuilding, and next year is good for us.

Now I'm happy to have Wilkins. I had him rated as the 2nd best DT after Quinnen Williams (ahead of Ed Oliver), and I liked the pick. But, that's just too much value for a team to ignore unless they're in the heat of a Super Bowl push.

I trusted Grier and Flores here, along with the leadership Grier hired.
Grier said something like he was prepared to trade down for another 1st in 2020, but Wilkins was still on the board. Like previous drafts, when a player drops to our spot who should have gone sooner- You take them.

Back
Top Bottom