In my humble opinion...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In my humble opinion......

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
the main factors that should determine who our starting quarterback should are who can throw the deep ball consistently and who can avoid the costly turnovers. In the past Jay, has looked good and has brought us back in games (see oakland in 2001) but he's also been the reason we've had to make comebacks cuz he's turned the ball over not to mention fail to hit the deep ball consistently.

We have an amazing defense who for the most part keeps us in every ball game but they can't do it all without some help from the O. Much like the Ravens of a few years ago, we need a qb that can manage the game and not lose it for us. What do you guys think?

I think that everyone needs to stop with the starting QB thing right now. Jay was the starter last year. Some wanted Lucas and you got him and then no playoffs. This year Jay is the starter and still yet no one can stop with there questions. Unless he plays as bad or almost as bad as Lucas, Jay will be our starter and Brian will watch.

Brian is the backup, Jay is the starter. Simple as that, Fiedler knows the playbook more, has a great record as a starter. Griese still has to learn the playbook, let alone get enough experience to be the starter.

It's Fiedlers job to hold or lose.

Originally posted by Dolphin_Fan
I think that everyone needs to stop with the starting QB thing right now. Jay was the starter last year. Some wanted Lucas and you got him and then no playoffs. This year Jay is the starter and still yet no one can stop with there questions. Unless he plays as bad or almost as bad as Lucas, Jay will be our starter and Brian will watch.

I have to agree with Dolphin Fan here, the only question about the quarterback situation is who is #2 and who is #3 on the depth chart.

Yes the phins have all been saying that Jay is the man. But do you really believe if Griese is outplaying Jay in practice and Jay doesn't start out blazing he's going to hold onto the job? Don't get me wrong, I hope Jay wins the job but no matter how many times I hear "jay is our man" I still believe that the best qb will eventually win out.

Originally posted by phinfan2003
Yes the phins have all been saying that Jay is the man. But do you really believe if Griese is outplaying Jay in practice and Jay doesn't start out blazing he's going to hold onto the job? Don't get me wrong, I hope Jay wins the job but no matter how many times I hear "jay is our man" I still believe that the best qb will eventually win out.

Sure he can take the job, but its going to be really difficult for him since he has to start learning a new offense whereas fiedler has a year under his belt already.

If griese is better he can have the job, but at this point, considering he & fiedler have very similar tools , I doubt he has any chance of starting

Crisdeman good post my point exactly, I will support Brian if he starts and think he should start if he proves he is the better choice. I just do not see that he is the better option at this point.

Honestly, if a guy of Griese's talent can come in and look better than the QB who has been there for three years, has two years with the starting WR's, has been to all the mini camps, and has similar physical abilities, than Griese deserves the job, because Jay must have REALLY looked like crap. I don't see that happening unless Jays thumb still isn't 100%, but I suppose anythings possible. The bottom line is that people should just accept that Brian is the back-up, and that ideally, Jay plays well, stays healthy, and Brian rides the pine all year.

Exactly, If he's better he will end up starting at some point. I just dont think he will be prepared to do that as quickly as some people think.

I think that the coaches will decide this, not us fans.

to all the jay haters...what did jay do last year to lose the starting spot. started 5-1(the KC loss is more on the D than his 4TH QUARTER INTS, thrown while trying to rally the team), beat oakland and chicago. scored 10 points on only 2 possessions of 2nd half vs minnesota(not counting 3rd possession, which started with >30 secs left), would've been 14 points but carter dropped a TD. then led the offense to 24 points and an 11 point 4th quarter lead vs NE, a lead which the D could make stand. so i ask again, why doesnt jay deserve to start? miami doesnt deserve a guy with this much heart...most fans just trash him out of ignorance. many haters hoped lucas would get a chance last year, then would've given up their pin numbers to get jay back...have you learned nothing?

Jay will be the starter...

and will remain the stater until
A: He goes down with an injury and can't return..
B: He goes down with an injury, returns, and then stinks up the joint royally, as in not being able to hit the broad side of a bull's butt with a bass fiddle...
C: He leads the Phins to a miserable (no better than 9-7) record despite any personal achievements or health, in which case there will probably be a new head coach as well.
D: He gets too expensive to keep..

In other words, if he stays healthy and plays like he did in the first six games last year, he will start.

The real problem will be if he starts off being only mediocre (a distinct possibility) QB and cannot play well enough to convince those fans who are not quite as absurd as those who have been calling for his head since the departure of Marino that he can change things around. Then the coach is stuck between the rock and the hard place. That is my great fear for the first month of the season.

Re: Jay will be the starter...

Originally posted by RevRick
and will remain the stater until
A: He goes down with an injury and can't return..
B: He goes down with an injury, returns, and then stinks up the joint royally, as in not being able to hit the broad side of a bull's butt with a bass fiddle...
C: He leads the Phins to a miserable (no better than 9-7) record despite any personal achievements or health, in which case there will probably be a new head coach as well.
D: He gets too expensive to keep..

In other words, if he stays healthy and plays like he did in the first six games last year, he will start.

The real problem will be if he starts off being only mediocre (a distinct possibility) QB and cannot play well enough to convince those fans who are not quite as absurd as those who have been calling for his head since the departure of Marino that he can change things around. Then the coach is stuck between the rock and the hard place. That is my great fear for the first month of the season.

Excellent post. Another problem would be if Fiedler plays relatively well but the team starts out at or below .500 anyway.

The thing we should be happy about at this point is that if we need the back up to play at any point for any reason, it'll be Griese and not Lucas. Jay has gotten hurt every year so is very posible that he'll get hurt again at some point again this year. If that happens then I'm glad we have Griese to step in.

Ozzy rules!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by phinfan2003
the main factors that should determine who our starting quarterback should are who can throw the deep ball consistently and who can avoid the costly turnovers.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Greise is a QB that played in a West Coast offense and was 2 of 12 (16% completion ratio) on attempts longer than 30 yards last year. And he was 15TD's to 15INT's.

Jay is a QB that played in this offense and was 4 of 19 (21% completion ratio) on attempts longer than 30 yards last year. And he was 14TD's to 9INT's.

Yep, it seems obvious looking at your criteria that Jay should definately be starting.

Back
Top Bottom