In my opinion.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In my opinion....

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
this move is not going to turn the organization upside down like some believe. I believe that by naming Spielman the GM, the phins have a capable person to handle personnel. Marino will be learning the ropes of his position and will not have unlimited power initially because the front office will be run primarily by Spielman and Jones. Marino will contribute and give input in any way he can but until he becomes comfortable, his role will be learning the day to day operation as opposed to running it. Once Marino learns the ropes, he will then lead this organization and do a great job at it the way he did as a player. So in essence, Marino is being groomed to lead this organization into the future.

I watched the news conference the gist of what I got was 2 main themes
  1. the Rick was as qualified as any of the other guys so why go elsewhere to for a GM
  2. they needed another football guy (Jones not being one) in senior management so they got Dan
    [/list=1]

I also came away feeling like Rick has most of the authority from a player standpoint, but that Dan w/have some veto power

Originally posted by inFINSible
The Readers Digest version!...:up: D39.
Alex Marvez's Readers Digest version / Q & A

excerpt:

Q: How does Marino's hiring immediately impact the Dolphins?

A: For the short-term, they should retain the same kind of front office structure, with the major exception being Spielman having final say on personnel decisions instead of coach Dave Wannstedt, who had that power stripped at the end of the season. But as he grows more comfortable as an executive, Marino likely will wield increasing influence.

Originally posted by dolphan39
I watched the news conference the gist of what I got was 2 main themes
  1. the Rick was as qualified as any of the other guys so why go elsewhere to for a GM
  2. they needed another football guy (Jones not being one) in senior management so they got Dan
    [/list=1]

I also came away feeling like Rick has most of the authority from a player standpoint, but that Dan w/have some veto power

1. maybe dan will have some veto power, but not when it comes to players/salary structure. Dan will be the class of this organization and will do alot of neat things even outside of football for underprivleged people.

If you think about it. Since dan has been a fin, he has been involved and been around every major decision this franchise has made. He was always there, and what blows my mind is that Dan was sitting at the roundtable on friday or whatever with the rest of them helping make decisions. i believe that is why Huizenga just made a gut move and said, "what the hell, Dan should be someone important in this organization". and dan commands respect and admiration. what better a guy to have as a VP. Dan will own the dolphins one day if he can help it.

Back
Top Bottom