Inability to handle preseason traffic is a disgrace | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Inability to handle preseason traffic is a disgrace

Joneildu

Practice Squad
Reaction score
A few things I have to rant about. This site has a pay feature, which is fine. Bandwidth isn't free and high-traffic sites can be costly to maintain, but when you run a pay site and cannot handle traffic generated during a preseason game, then you really need take a hard look at how the site is being run. If you are going to charge for features, then you better damn well have a server capable of handling the load. If you aren't generating enough revenue in the pay feature, and I'm guessing you're not, then you need to really look into SEO opportunities. A site with this much traffic can generate a substantial income through SEO revenue. Also, the vBulletin addons this site uses, and there are a plethora, are huge security risks. Many of them have numerous exploits. Not only that, they generate unnecessary server load. Removing them would ease the server strain and make the site much more secure. The fact that you cannot even log onto the forums on gameday...a preseason gameday...is laughable.

I'm expecting a "if you don't like it then..." type of response, which is fine. I'll be happy if someone points me to a stable site that can be read during games. I hope someone meaningful sees this and actually takes it to heart, it could help the site.

Funny that this post was moved to the depths of the sea. Shows what type of people run this forum.

To be fair, I put it here. I didn't know where an appropriate place was.

You should have posted this in the suggestion forum. For the most part this site is free to anyone. Of course its going to get crazy traffic when a game is going. If you think you can do better get yourself a server and have at it. The mods do what they can with what they have.

Maybe the suggestion forum was a better place, too late though. To your points though, I haven't the time or the desire to run a fins site, especially when this one has a huge following and can be easily fixed. It's not a mod issue, it's an administration issue. I do think the site could use some stronger mods to stand up and yank some of the more frivolous threads that are allowed to stay.

Maybe the suggestion forum was a better place, too late though. To your points though, I haven't the time or the desire to run a fins site, especially when this one has a huge following and can be easily fixed. It's not a mod issue, it's an administration issue. I do think the site could use some stronger mods to stand up and yank some of the more frivolous threads that are allowed to stay.

I observed that you mostly like to use this free bandwidth to gripe more than praise... which is certainly your prerogative and fine since there should be no censorship. But really dude, if you're gonna even complain about accessing a site where you regularly spend time, at least dig into your pocket to support it as a VIP - unless you can't swing the annual $18.

I observed that you mostly like to use this free bandwidth to gripe more than praise... which is certainly your prerogative and fine since there should be no censorship. But really dude, if you're gonna even complain about accessing a site where you regularly spend time, at least dig into your pocket to support it as a VIP - unless you can't swing the annual $18.

I think people would be much more content with supporting a site that promised to actually...you know...work and be secure. I'm actually one of the more optimistic fans here. I don't make a thread every time I have a complaint. I actually make very few threads and even fewer posts (less than 1,000). It's a very legitimate concern that the site is both unstable and insecure. And before begging people to fork over money, that should be addressed. $20 is really a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue this site can generate with this traffic. It it more than able to fund itself with a stable server and probably still generate a profit for it's owner. It's just completely inefficient, insecure, and exploitable with all the vBulletin features that are enabled. Has the site ever been hacked? As much as you guys don't want to hear it, TGG is very well ran. No pay, minimal frivolous features, it's downtime is minimal in a market that is much larger, and it's average load time is about 4x as fast.

I think people would be much more content with supporting a site that promised to actually...you know...work and be secure. I'm actually one of the more optimistic fans here. I don't make a thread every time I have a complaint. I actually make very few threads and even fewer posts (less than 1,000). It's a very legitimate concern that the site is both unstable and insecure. And before begging people to fork over money, that should be addressed. $20 is really a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue this site can generate with this traffic. It it more than able to fund itself with a stable server and probably still generate a profit for it's owner. It's just completely inefficient, insecure, and exploitable with all the vBulletin features that are enabled. Has the site ever been hacked? As much as you guys don't want to hear it, TGG is very well ran. No pay, minimal frivolous features, it's downtime is minimal in a market that is much larger, and it's average load time is about 4x as fast.

as far as TGG, they shut that site down after a bad loss to squelch all the pizzing and moaning, (the practical equivalent of crashing) and do not permit opposing team fans to come in there and shovel all the **** that FH overly tolerates IMO. So in that regard - you may be right; maybe we're better off emulating them. I made a comment about Namath being overrated and having a1 2 game moment in the sun.. guess what? I was banned.. while morons can come over here and pizz on our team and players. But if that's what you want, maybe we should petition fin-atic, ya think? Bottom line, if you're here on the average of 6-7 times a week, glomming the bandwidth...and not supporting the site, you have little traction to complain IMO.

as far as TGG, they shut that site down after a bad loss to squelch all the pizzing and moaning, (the practical equivalent of crashing) and do not permit opposing team fans to come in there and shovel all the **** that FH overly tolerates IMO. So in that regard - you may be right; maybe we're better off emulating them. I made a comment about Namath being overrated and having a1 2 game moment in the sun.. guess what? I was banned.. while morons can come over here and pizz on our team and players. But if that's what you want, maybe we should petition fin-atic, ya think? Bottom line, if you're here on the average of 6-7 times a week, glomming the bandwidth...and not supporting the site, you have little traction to complain IMO.

I post at TGG about as regular as I post here and I'm not banned, nor am I asked to pay, but I'd be more willing to support that site that this one simply because of stability and security. They ban the same people FH should ban, the incessant whiners and trolls. Opposing fans are fine, or so says my post count and unbanned status there. But, as I said earlier, I think the mods here are a little soft at hammering threads and users. Bottom line, I use the site rarely, post rarely, and I haven't paid for a site that doesn't work when I would most like it too. All of these facts do not make any of my points or concerns any less legitimate, no matter how much you try to belittle my status as a user, the fact is, what I say is still true, and anyone with networking and web administration savvy and has the slightest familiarity with vBulletin would back me.

I post at TGG about as regular as I post here and I'm not banned, nor am I asked to pay, but I'd be more willing to support that site that this one simply because of stability and security. They ban the same people FH should ban, the incessant whiners and trolls. Opposing fans are fine, or so says my post count and unbanned status there. But, as I said earlier, I think the mods here are a little soft at hammering threads and users. Bottom line, I use the site rarely, post rarely, and I haven't paid for a site that doesn't work when I would most like it too. All of these facts do not make any of my points or concerns any less legitimate, no matter how much you try to belittle my status as a user, the fact is, what I say is still true, and anyone with networking and web administration savvy and has the slightest familiarity with vBulletin would back me.

:lol: I slap asshats on the reg!

Do we get everything in a timely manner? Probably not ... but there's 16 of us, and over 63,000 members. (you do the math)

If you see violations of the TOS, feel free to report them (please) - just click on the triangle icon at the bottom of each post, & give a brief summary of the problem ... we'll see it quicker.

And, yes, I'll move this to the suggestions forum for 'ya. :up:

Joneildue
This is a classic case of someone thinking they know what is going on and they don't. First of all the site does not make money it loses. I know because I fund it. Why? Because we get around 15-20k visitors per day and we have over 60,000 registered members. Of all those people ( you included) less than half of 1% financially contribute. This results in massive bandwidth use and massive costs versus little income. We place ads on the site to offset some of the costs but it doesn't cover it. You claim "SEO revenue" as an option... Do you even know what you're talking about? Your claim that the site "isn't secure" is ridiculous and once again speculative. You have NO idea the precautions or measures we take on the back end of this site.
Listen this site is run by fans for fans.Every day people who have jobs and families etc. And yet we are the 2nd largest pro football forum out there, so we must be doing something right. Our site runs very well, and occasionally we push our capacity to its limits. But we do the best we can do, and if we find ways to increase revenue we would gladly invest it back into the site. But for now it just costs me.

I have a great idea. I would be happy to increase server capacity and add bandwidth as soon as you and your buddy Stugots13 go into your pockets and/or recruit others to pay for the additional $500 a month it costs I will make it happen.

In the meantime, if you are going to come here and get free entertainment on other people's dime, you should show a little respect and ask constructively and offer help instead of coming in with barrels blazing from an ill informed position of ignorance.

PS
Before you compare our site performance with TGG or any other site, find me one with the same amount of traffic first. I can operate just as smoothly as TGG does if all I had to deal with was there traffic

Last edited by a moderator:
This aint america kids..this is finheaven..if you dont like it dont come here...plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom