Indianapolis Colts trade with Miami idea | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Indianapolis Colts trade with Miami idea

For me, it would take two 1's and two 2's minimum for us to get out of #3 or the Top 10 and land in the middle or late 1st.

Losing sight of the real opportunity we have @ #3 shouldn't even be a topic.

At this stage in the build/rebuild, we need to be picking ELITE talent to put finishing touches on the foundational pieces we have acquired. Playmakers... instant impact guys.

We should NOT be thinking quantity at this stage. We need quality.

Tua needs playmakers NOW. Not next year.

I would not be threatening our opportunity to get an Elite WR for Tua.

Also, if we trade back lower than #18, we now change the dynamic of that pic. We go from looking at Smith #3 and Harris #18 to WR #18 and BPA #??.

That doesn't help the offense or Tua.

The premium we have with #3 is the opportunity to get the best possible WR to match Tua (chemistry, relationship and skillset) AND to use #18 to possible snag Harris. An Elite WR and true RB1 would immediately change our offensive fortunes. Our O would have the foundations to become great/elite.

This is the year the O flexes its draft muscles. #3 sets the tone for the entire offseason.

GMs collect picks to help them get more chances to find the next star. It's to compensate for NOT having a premium pick.

But ask a GM if he wants one Top 5 pick or 2 low round 1sts and I don't think anyone needs to ponder what the answer would be for all GMs.

Indy doesn't have the draft picks to go from 21 up to #3. But they do have some nice young players on rookie deals that they would have to move to make that leap. I believe Nelson already signed a huge deal so that's not the way to go. But how about that LB they have? And maybe Pittman?

For me, it would take two 1's and two 2's minimum for us to get out of #3 or the Top 10 and land in the middle or late 1st.

Losing sight of the real opportunity we have @ #3 shouldn't even be a topic.

At this stage in the build/rebuild, we need to be picking ELITE talent to put finishing touches on the foundational pieces we have acquired. Playmakers... instant impact guys.

We should NOT be thinking quantity at this stage. We need quality.

Tua needs playmakers NOW. Not next year.

I would not be threatening our opportunity to get an Elite WR for Tua.

Also, if we trade back lower than #18, we now change the dynamic of that pic. We go from looking at Smith #3 and Harris #18 to WR #18 and BPA #??.

That doesn't help the offense or Tua.

The premium we have with #3 is the opportunity to get the best possible WR to match Tua (chemistry, relationship and skillset) AND to use #18 to possible snag Harris. An Elite WR and true RB1 would immediately change our offensive fortunes. Our O would have the foundations to become great/elite.

This is the year the O flexes its draft muscles. #3 sets the tone for the entire offseason.

GMs collect picks to help them get more chances to find the next star. It's to compensate for NOT having a premium pick.

But ask a GM if he wants one Top 5 pick or 2 low round 1sts and I don't think anyone needs to ponder what the answer would be for all GMs.

I think I both agree and disagree with you.

I agree we need ELITE talent, and wouldn't be willing to trade down to where we couldn't get it, especially at the WR position. That said, I'd support moving down from #3 to bottom half of top 10 if it yields us a 2021 1st or more. I think an ELITE WR is still on the board at #6-10, and I think having that extra 1st next year gives us insurance in case Tua actually is an issue. We'd have two 1sts next year to move up and grab a QB. IMO, that latter move the BEST thing about having #3.

reading some of these comments is so contradictive. A lot on here are against trading multiple 1st round picks for Watson because how valuable the picks are blah blah but when offered with a hypothetical situation to gain MORE draft capital and future draft capital, its a bad idea? but I thought 1st round picks were the jackpot? and the future key to us winning it all? to build a great team.

you guys must be expecting to draft a future hall of famer with that #3 pick this year. who that person is, I have no idea.

With #3 i would hope for a future HOF, or at least someone who can grab a few ALL Pro nods along the way. Kinda like Q. NELSON of Indy....

Now, no team nor any fanbase can identify who this class sure fire AP or HOF is. So why are you surprised?

But give my chessboard a piece like Sewell and I can make a case for a legit TOP 10 offensive unit in 2 years. Yes others will call for the WR at #3, i just stick true to my inside out belief.

#3 you're hoping for a multiple pro bowler maybe a few All Pro nods. That's a solid career, and one you can be happy with. Personally I think Too many folks have insane expectations of first round selections - not just in Miami but in general. I realize you are absolutely in love with it, but there's a reason why there are 7 rounds. Look at the history of, well, everyone's first rounders. Then 2nd and 3rd I have faith we can land a few folks, and I think Grier gets that - which is why they value 2nd and 3rd rounders so highly.

I agree with the above poster, however. We have very very weird times, and we have so much information on a prospect's system. I realize I'll catch hell for this, but I really view Chase and Smith as the can't miss guys in this draft. They are both coming from systems where a rookie in 2020 had absolutely explosive success in the NFL. And they are both better than their predecessors. I have to get Tua Smith or Chase. I just happen to think that can happen at pick #8.

#3 you're hoping for a multiple pro bowler maybe a few All Pro nods. That's a solid career, and one you can be happy with. Personally I think Too many folks have insane expectations of first round selections - not just in Miami but in general. I realize you are absolutely in love with it, but there's a reason why there are 7 rounds. Look at the history of, well, everyone's first rounders. Then 2nd and 3rd I have faith we can land a few folks, and I think Grier gets that - which is why they value 2nd and 3rd rounders so highly.

I agree with the above poster, however. We have very very weird times, and we have so much information on a prospect's system. I realize I'll catch hell for this, but I really view Chase and Smith as the can't miss guys in this draft. They are both coming from systems where a rookie in 2020 had absolutely explosive success in the NFL. And they are both better than their predecessors. I have to get Tua Smith or Chase. I just happen to think that can happen at pick #8.
Hrmm...

I think I both agree and disagree with you.

I agree we need ELITE talent, and wouldn't be willing to trade down to where we couldn't get it, especially at the WR position. That said, I'd support moving down from #3 to bottom half of top 10 if it yields us a 2021 1st or more. I think an ELITE WR is still on the board at #6-10, and I think having that extra 1st next year gives us insurance in case Tua actually is an issue. We'd have two 1sts next year to move up and grab a QB. IMO, that latter move the BEST thing about having #3.
Actually, you agree with me. :)

That is why I injected the "for us to get our of #3 or Top 10".

I don't want out of the Top 10.

How many years have we struggled with .500 teams that always lead us to drafting in the middle of the 1st. Close enough to miss out on an elite player, but far enough away to not be able to trade up to get one.

This #3 was a gift. Even with our own best efforts (pun), we only got up to #5 last year when we NEEDED to draft a QB.

We have a QB and now have #3.

We can NOT pass up on this opportunity to change our fortunes. For a lack of better words, this is what we lost for....

With #3 i would hope for a future HOF, or at least someone who can grab a few ALL Pro nods along the way. Kinda like Q. NELSON of Indy....

Now, no team nor any fanbase can identify who this class sure fire AP or HOF is. So why are you surprised?

But give my chessboard a piece like Sewell and I can make a case for a legit TOP 10 offensive unit in 2 years. Yes others will call for the WR at #3, i just stick true to my inside out belief.

I think Sewell at #3 or trade down is the right call as of now.

Are we getting greedy? How many picks do we need? This roster doesn’t have a lot of holes. Let’s just go get some difference makers

1st round picks over the next three years is equal to a 1, 2 and 3 this year. That is not good value to drop down that far. It’s borderline dumb.

I was watching a little of Colin Cowherd today and he was talking about Philip Rivers retiring and how Indy needs a QB now but they have a really solid roster everywhere else. He brought up Miami and said if he were Indy he’s calling Miami and offering 3 first round picks to come up to 3 to get 1 of the 4 QBs in Justin Fields Zach Wilson Trey Lance and Mac Jones. He said Indy would need to get ahead of QB needy teams like Detroit Carolina and Denver so a bidding war could break out for Miami’s pick at 3. He said using Jimmy Johnson’s trade value draft chart to go from 21 where Indy is to 3 it would cost 3 first round picks.

Indy receives pick 3
Miami receives pick 21 2022 #1 2023 #1

Would you do it?
We need a ton if dropping that far. It depends on how good or bad colts do too tho. If colts play well, then 2022 and 2023 pick could be low first rd picks. More often the picks are best if for this year than future ones because you don't know where they will go. I don't care for Cowherd, he makes these projections so fast with things. He didn't see a "wow factor" from Tua and has given up, because apparently every great qb either is athletic like Lamar jackson or can run away or has a rocket arm like Allen or Mahomes. Or some with given more time show a wow factor winning clutch situations. If you think about plays and throws, Drew Brees and Tom Brady never had wow talent, they just became clutch and super effecient but Brady is the goat and Brees is a future hall of famer.

I think there is a good chance Indy goes the veteran route again - Stafford, Matt Ryan, Roethlisberger - they would also be a really good spot for Teddy B if Carolina wants to move up for a QB

Back
Top Bottom