infatuated with sims... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

infatuated with sims...

WPBtoRNOFinFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I really don't see why so many DolFans are so infatuated with him. Yes, he was a hell of a player in college, but he is entirely too small to play OLB in the Dolphins 3-4 scheme. Personally, I think Manny Lawson would fit our scheme perfect, even carpenter or greenway would as well, but sims is too small. Ernie is 5'11 230, as an OLB in our system the prefered height would be 6'2+ and probably over 245-250. I just don't get why so many people on this forum see us drafting him. It's probably just the fact that he is a former Nole and a hell of a player, which automatically attracts us to him, i guess.

iunno, find a player who fits our system better I guess.

Greenway will be the best LB in this draft, IMO. I had the opporunity to see him play for four yrs and this former high school qb is the real deal. Nick has gameplanned against him(Roth) and will declare Chad BPA @ #16.

Thank You, i agree,, lets see Manny Lawson, Donte Whitner, Wimbly(altho notta big fan of him), Jason Allen

WPBtoRNOFinFan said:
I really don't see why so many DolFans are so infatuated with him. Yes, he was a hell of a player in college, but he is entirely too small to play OLB in the Dolphins 3-4 scheme. Personally, I think Manny Lawson would fit our scheme perfect, even carpenter or greenway would as well, but sims is too small. Ernie is 5'11 230, as an OLB in our system the prefered height would be 6'2+ and probably over 245-250. I just don't get why so many people on this forum see us drafting him. It's probably just the fact that he is a former Nole and a hell of a player, which automatically attracts us to him, i guess.

iunno, find a player who fits our system better I guess.
I think you keep answering your own question. Regardless of size, he's a hell of a player and talent. I don't see Nick picking him up, but, I wouldn't be disappointed either.

fishfan34 said:
I think you keep answering your own question. Regardless of size, he's a hell of a player and talent. I don't see Nick picking him up, but, I wouldn't be disappointed either.

If he got picked up I would think we were a few years back and Speilman and Wanny were at the helm. Yes, he's a good player, but in what should be our base 3-4 next year, he would be ineffective as an OLB getting blown back by guards and tackles being sent at him.

I agree I would love to see Manny here I just think he is a stud waiting to happen.I wouldn,t mind Sims if they would convert him to SS can you amagine him as our 8th man in the box.Seattle did it with Micheal Boulware @ that worked out ok.

WPBtoRNOFinFan said:
If he got picked up I would think we were a few years back and Speilman and Wanny were at the helm. Yes, he's a good player, but in what should be our base 3-4 next year, he would be ineffective as an OLB getting blown back by guards and tackles being sent at him.

Some People think otherwise.

Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State - Sims doesn’t quite have the size Nick Saban looks for in an outside linebacker, but he has everything else and more. Sims is a great, great athlete with good instincts and intangibles. He can rush the passer, drop back into coverage or run sideline to sideline. Sims is always around the ball. He also plays bigger than his size indicates and never gets lost in traffic.

Here's my take on Sims. He's the kind of guy that GMs fall in love with for their physical stature. Here's what I mean. The guy reminds me of david boston but without the height. He's THAT big. That being said, I watched a ton of FSU games last year and the best LB on the team was Nicholson. He's around the ball more often than Sims and he sheds blockers better. If it wasn't for Nicholson's character concerns we'd be talking about him in the mid to late first round.

Sims is a solid player but I wouldn't pick him in the first round, maybe second round because he has a lot of potential.

I like him as a player but I think saban won't draft him because of sizes.
Here's what Nick Saban said in the pre-draft press conference:

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"Defensively, front seven people, big people, especially those that can affect the quarterback are always a top priority and even though we address some needs in the secondary,"

As you can see Saban is looking for sizes in the front seven, that's why Ernie Sims doesn't fit in our defense.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

WPBtoRNOFinFan said:
you really shouldn't pass up a player you think is great because he doesn't fit the system exactly. if he's a great player he'll be great period.

UF Fin Kat said:
you really shouldn't pass up a player you think is great because he doesn't fit the system exactly.

Sure you should. If you have what you think is the best option QB in the history of time, you shouldn't draft him if you're running the Coryell-style offense. It makes no sense.

Similarly, if you have a dwarf of a LB who may be great in a 4-3, you don't draft him if you're planning on running a 3-4 with massive linebackers. If he happens to be the best value on the board and you're a value based drafting advocate, you make a deal to get out of the pick. If you're more like Nick (who talks value but clearly is not a BPA always guy), you find the best player who fits what you want to do and pick him up.

WPBtoRNOFinFan said:
He's also an inside backer...he has a NT and two DE/DT's in front of him...

Beyond that, his lack of size means that the other linebackers need to have size. Sims might be a more viable option if the other two full time linebackers (plus the end/linebacker) had great size.

Jimmy James said:
Sure you should. If you have what you think is the best option QB in the history of time, you shouldn't draft him if you're running the Coryell-style offense. It makes no sense.

Similarly, if you have a dwarf of a LB who may be great in a 4-3, you don't draft him if you're planning on running a 3-4 with massive linebackers. If he happens to be the best value on the board and you're a value based drafting advocate, you make a deal to get out of the pick. If you're more like Nick (who talks value but clearly is not a BPA always guy), you find the best player who fits what you want to do and pick him up.

amen!

Back
Top Bottom