Info about the trade that landed Rosen | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Info about the trade that landed Rosen

Strange title when he writes:
So the trade now looks like this. Miami sent a second-round pick and Kenyan Drake to Arizona for Rosen.
But either way it's incorrect as they were independent trades. I still think trading for Rosen was a fine move. A first round prospect who failed in a bad situation in his rookie year still has a chance to rebound. Rosen hasn't and may never, but obviously you can't know that when you make the deal. They probably also thought they could coach him up in a way Arizona couldn't. I will rarely knock buying low. As for trading away Drake for a 6th possible 5th. Probably a bad trade. But then again he will be a free agent and it seems the Phins weren't going to pay him what he wanted so they got something instead of nothing.

The idea of making this trade was the big win. Miami has to continue to seek out opportunities to bring in talented passers into the system and attempt to develop them . . .even after we hopefully have found our franchise guy.

If Rosen never amounts to anything, then sure it's a loss on paper, but refusing to swing at opportunities like this is an even bigger loss in the grand scheme. Still a cheap backup QB for 3 years at worst.

Had no issues with the trade and I never will regardless of the results. It was extremely savvy to regain a second rounder by trading down AND regaining your 5th by offloading an expiring contract midseason.

It's more about who was available and Davie passed up to get Rosen. Sure on paper when you just talk the picks, you can rationalize this trade. But look at the players still on the board at the time.

DK Metcalf just to name one.

You not going hit on all ur draft pick and trade..most coachs and GM only have few yr too make it work. We need qb but not just any qb.. dolphins need be patient..

I don't get the rationalization that the Dolphins lost on this trade in the same sense that others do.

Some on here want the team to take Tua regardless of his medical tests and hopeful that he will be able to participate in pre-draft workouts and are saying (in a nutshell) "Take a chance. You can't win if you don't take a big risk". But they they crap on the team for taking a chance with Rosen, a top 10 pick the prior year, but at a much lower cost. I am not writing off Rosen just yet - let's see how the off season and then training camp go before we consider that a failed transaction.

not even a full year out from trade. Even the analysts say the most obvious **** when this comes up - and I suppose for good reason.

"You aren't going to be able to judge winners and losers here for 3 years."

Yet I see people here using insane hindsight. At the time of the trade, it was universally lauded by the media as a huge win for Miami. They took a chance on a guy with high potential and they paid a much lower price for it than expected - Arizona even admitted they bungled the whole trade due to timing.

Cant have it both ways, guys. Im skeptical of Grier myself, but in terms of value and resource allocation, the dude is great at stretching out a "pick" (getting the most value for his picks).

One of the things that Flores and his staff have done well is...

developing players.

I liked the move at the time, and I like it still.

Worse case scenario, Rosen is a cheap backup.

There is still a lot of upside IMHO with him. He reminded lots of people of Rodgers when he was being evaluated for the draft.

Learning behind Fitz & a hard nosed coach who isn't going to sugar coat things or play favorites can only help him, here or in the future somewhere else.

not even a full year out from trade. Even the analysts say the most obvious **** when this comes up - and I suppose for good reason.

"You aren't going to be able to judge winners and losers here for 3 years."

Yet I see people here using insane hindsight. At the time of the trade, it was universally lauded by the media as a huge win for Miami. They took a chance on a guy with high potential and they paid a much lower price for it than expected - Arizona even admitted they bungled the whole trade due to timing.

Cant have it both ways, guys. Im skeptical of Grier myself, but in terms of value and resource allocation, the dude is great at stretching out a "pick" (getting the most value for his picks).

Agree, but I wish people would quit attributing picks to Grier

I hated the trade at the time, then I liked it as details began to emerge and even more after seeing him in pre-season and in relief of Fitz early season. But that skins game and the fact that he couldn't win the trust of the coaching staff to even see what he looks like, in those meaningless games at the end of the season, has me donning my 2020 glasses and saying what were we thinking about making this trade. The Cards played us twice really, first for us to take a huge problem of their hands when no one else was biting and secondly giving away our best RB and someone who was huge for them for a 5th round pick.

I hated the trade at the time, then I liked it as details began to emerge and even more after seeing him in pre-season and in relief of Fitz early season. But that skins game and the fact that he couldn't win the trust of the coaching staff to even see what he looks like, in those meaningless games at the end of the season, has me donning my 2020 glasses and saying what were we thinking about making this trade. The Cards played us twice really, first for us to take a huge problem of their hands when no one else was biting and secondly giving away our best RB and someone who was huge for them for a 5th round pick.

That's opinion. No one knows why he didn't start those "meaningless" games. Matter of fact, I don't know why most (all?) teams with nothing to play for refused to play backups in meaningless games.

Back
Top Bottom