Injury Bug Around the League!!!! Why are players getting hurt??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Injury Bug Around the League!!!! Why are players getting hurt???

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Anyone concerned about these injuries in practice??? I don't remember seeing that many injuries that early in training camp in the past 10 - 15 years.

4 points of concerns:

1. ACL Tear (Most popular) - Victims: Jason Phillips, Jeremy Maclin, Dan Koppen, Victor Butler, Aaron Berry, Melvin Ingram, Armon Binns - Usually occurs when a player is tackled sideways when his feet are firmly planted.
Can this be prevented???

One-on-one blocking drills - How can we make this drill safer in practice???

3. Concussions - How can you get a concussion from your own teammate in practice? I understand that only 53 will make it out of 90 players, but are the coaches putting too much pressure on the players which lead to injuries???

4. Steroid Use - I
ncreases the risk of specific types of musculoskeletal injuries.. I`m guessing those injuries in non-contact drills are related to steroids, etc.. one way or the other.

So basically, OTAs and training camp were not nearly like it was in the years before (less intense, less hard hitting nowadays) and yet, the injuries were not there.. How can someone explain this phenomenon???

I don't remember seeing that many injuries that early in training camp in the past 10 - 15 years.

I'm not convinced that this is the case, I'm not doubting you but I keep looking for any article with an accurate comparison of nfl training camps from say 2000 - 2012. I'm too busy at work right now to do the legwork, but if anybody has seen a chart with the comparison I'd be interested in seeing it.

Also, #3 and #4 concussions and steroid use, if anything they should be lower than previously. Concussions should be lower due to rule changes, fines, suspensions, etc. I also don't see how steroid use would be any higher this year, PED use has been rampant for DECADES, its just in the last decade that organizations such as the MLB have gotten serious about cracking down, so I don't see how steroid use would be more prevalent now than say in the 90's when there was less awareness and testing. Both of these issues get more press today, but they're old problems that have just been thrust into the limelight and thus increased the awareness of the general public.

I stayed at a Holiday in last night and off the top of my head I think it comes from the muscles these guys have putting to much strain on their ligaments and tendons.

It's football. It happens every year - the presence of social media makes the reporting of injuries instantaneous so you hear about it more and at a greater speed.

Randomness. Let me know after 4 preseason games if injuries are happening at a higher this year as opposed to other years.

Prob a new undetectable steroid out that these guys jumped on in the offseason but didn't know the aide effects. Steroids do destroy tendons, ligaments, and joints if overused. Expect more to come.

The part that I've always found weird is that O-line does not wear knee braces during practice etc.

I understand the body and knees must get used to the motions witout a brace, but regardless I would still prefer my O-line to wear knee braces during practice and scrimmage.

Thoughts?

Why do O-line wear braces in college but not the pro's. Weird...

Stevie Johnson seriously did a hammy at bills camp today. had to be helped off the field. could miss sig time but MRI will tell more.

just in case you cared.

I stayed at a Holiday in last night and off the top of my head I think it comes from the muscles these guys have putting to much strain on their ligaments and tendons.
which if I remember correctly steroids also eat away at tendons and ligaments, so ....

If the douchebag below can get a job as a strength & conditioning coach, I have to seriously wonder what type of guys are they hiring around the league as strength & conditioning coaches...

883652-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom