Insider Allbright has Miami taking Smith #3 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Insider Allbright has Miami taking Smith #3

Stafford just asked for a trade out of Detroit. The Lions could be an optimal spot to trade down at 7 if they want a QB. Much better value there to get Smith. And Chase would still be a helluva consolation prize if Philly decided to take Smith at 6.

I would do that trade down for Detroit’s 2022 1st and their 3rd this year. I think they’ll be terrible and we could have another top 10 pick next year in this scenario. So worth the risk IMO.

IMO the lesson from the draft is not about not drafting WRs high. It's about which traits matter. The NFL tends to over draft measurable traits like size, speed, etc. And tends to let good football players drop down in the draft b/c they lack some measurable. That's why so many good WRs have gone later. For me the most important traits for WRs are ability to separate and hands. Those traits are why I liked Jefferson last year.
Exactly. That’s why if you truly believe in BPA and the FO has Smith as top 3 talent in the country, positional draft history shouldn’t matter. And his frame/body type shouldn’t matter either. He is a football player.

This is the same reason I want Harris at 18. I don’t care about what the pundits say about not drafting RB in the 1st. The value is there if you have multiple first round picks.

Stafford just asked for a trade out of Detroit. The Lions could be an optimal spot to trade down at 7 if they want a QB. Much better value there to get Smith. And Chase would still be a helluva consolation prize if Philly decided to take Smith at 6.

I would do that trade down for Detroit’s 2022 1st and their 3rd this year. I think they’ll be terrible and we could have another top 10 pick next year in this scenario. So worth the risk IMO.
I’ve read Detroit is expecting a 1st round pick in return for Stafford. What about Indy at 21? I think if Indy was to offer #21 to Detroit for Stafford then Detroit probably takes that. Then Detroit would hold #7 and #21. Would we be willing to trade down with Detroit if they offered #7 and #21 for #3? Obviously we’d prefer the 2022 #1 but adding a third 1st round pick again in this draft would create maximum flexibility for us once again. We’d have the ability to move up the board with that kind of ammo. So we could still take our WR at #7 whether it be Chase or Smith and then package together #18 and #21 to come back up and get Micah Parsons or RaShawn Slater or maybe even Kyle Pitts? It’s an interesting scenario.

I’ve read Detroit is expecting a 1st round pick in return for Stafford. What about Indy at 21? I think if Indy was to offer #21 to Detroit for Stafford then Detroit probably takes that. Then Detroit would hold #7 and #21. Would we be willing to trade down with Detroit if they offered #7 and #21 for #3? Obviously we’d prefer the 2022 #1 but adding a third 1st round pick again in this draft would create maximum flexibility for us once again. We’d have the ability to move up the board with that kind of ammo. So we could still take our WR at #7 whether it be Chase or Smith and then package together #18 and #21 to come back up and get Micah Parsons or RaShawn Slater or maybe even Kyle Pitts? It’s an interesting scenario.
Love the direction you are going, I just think with so many teams looking for a qb, we can fleece a little more out of Detroit. I do not see a better qb coming out of 2022 class than top three qbs in this class. I would want a 2nd next yr as well. We are lucky as the players we need stud wideout, offensive line, lb . One of the studs would still be available at 7. Package a 23rd pick with our 3rd , keep our pick we are getting 3 very good players of need in the top 20. Even if they are all just good we hit a homerun, Plus we still have 2 2nd rd picks who should be very good players.

As far as Smith I have loved him for the last three yrs watching him play. Tua does have a great relationship with him, Last yr everybody was hyping Juedy and I just saw Smith was the guy Tua went to when he needed a completion. That being said taking Smith at 3 is way too high. I would love for it to work but not at that cost

Don't think any team will offer a 1 for Stafford. May be a 2 and a 3 the max.
So if that is the case, after the swapping the first, they have no choice but giving us the first next year.

Now that we know (almost) for sure Det is a trading partner, teams like Eagles and Panthers more intend to jump in to the biding war. We might net more picks than expected.

Don’t **** around and just take Devonta Smith at 3. Najee Harris should be the pick at 18 as well.

Don't think any team will offer a 1 for Stafford. May be a 2 and a 3 the max.
So if that is the case, after the swapping the first, they have no choice but giving us the first next year.

Now that we know (almost) for sure Det is a trading partner, teams like Eagles and Panthers more intend to jump in to the biding war. We might net more picks than expected.
That’s not what Detroit thinks. I thought that was a little much as well but people around the league seem to think a 1st for Stafford would be the going rate.

Love the direction you are going, I just think with so many teams looking for a qb, we can fleece a little more out of Detroit. I do not see a better qb coming out of 2022 class than top three qbs in this class. I would want a 2nd next yr as well. We are lucky as the players we need stud wideout, offensive line, lb . One of the studs would still be available at 7. Package a 23rd pick with our 3rd , keep our pick we are getting 3 very good players of need in the top 20. Even if they are all just good we hit a homerun, Plus we still have 2 2nd rd picks who should be very good players.
Not disagreeing with you at all. But I will say I like Sam Howell out of NC a lot for next year. I would take him ahead of Fields Lance and Jones for sure. I think he’s right on par with Zach Wilson and me personally I would actually prefer Howell but your point is well taken. I’m one of this people that highly highly value 2nd round picks so any deal that nets us an extra 1 or 2 of those I’m highly in favor of.

Exactly. That’s why if you truly believe in BPA and the FO has Smith as top 3 talent in the country, positional draft history shouldn’t matter. And his frame/body type shouldn’t matter either. He is a football player.

This is the same reason I want Harris at 18. I don’t care about what the pundits say about not drafting RB in the 1st. The value is there if you have multiple first round picks.
Not believing in draft history and thinking every year a certain player is the outlier is why every year teams make the same mistake over and over. Learn from the past 10 years and let a great WR fall to us in the late first or second round or even later like it’s happened every single year the past 10 years.

Not believing in draft history and thinking every year a certain player is the outlier is why every year teams make the same mistake over and over. Learn from the past 10 years and let a great WR fall to us in the late first or second round or even later like it’s happened every single year the past 10 years.
We’re so devoid of talent in that WR room that we need to double down. I could see Smith at 3 (or even better at 7). Gamble on greatness is the way I see. Then draft another highly rated WR in a different mold with one of the next 3 picks.

We’re so devoid of talent in that WR room that we need to double down. I could see Smith at 3 (or even better at 7). Gamble on greatness is the way I see. Then draft another highly rated WR in a different mold with one of the next 3 picks.
Gambling on greatness at the WR position hasn't worked since Julio Jones was picked #6 in 2011, but Smith at 7 would be ok. That would mean we added a future first that would offset the risk. That makes much more sense then picking him at #3.

I like the double down approch. Law of probability tells me we will hit on at least one. I even don't mind triple down, pick one more later round....in fourth or fifth.

A highly accurate passer throwing to an elite route runner??? We should be ecstatic if this happens.

I'm not sold that we should trade down (if we even can) and try to get another pick and hope one of the other top 3 WRs falls to us.

Smiths hips don't lie man, he can't be covered.

Back
Top Bottom