Interest in Jon Jansen? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interest in Jon Jansen?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
This tidbit from Pro Football Talk...

SPLIT OF OPINION ON JANSEN

Some of our sources believe that Jon Jansen of the Redskins will be the best free-agent right tackle available after the season. Others, however, believe he is overrated.

Regardless, it appears that Jansen will roll the dice and troll or a big-money deal.

Our moles tell us that the Dolphins, Bears, Jets, and possibly the Giants will make a run at him. Stay tuned.

Well, Jansen WILL be a free agent next year. What do you think this might mean? I mean no doubt we will need a Left Tackle sometime soon, but Jansen plays Right Tackle. Think he could switch? Or do they think Todd Wade can switch?

No way Todd Wade could play LT. He doesn't possess adequate speed IMO. And I question his footwork as well.

Personally I don't know about his speed or footwork, but I do know he gets beat by speed rushers and power rushers alike. And that alone tells me he shouldn't be playing left tackle.

But I'm not sure why we might think Jon Jansen could switch to left tackle either. And there's no way we'd be switching Jansen to guard because that would be a waste of money, since a good tackle is much more valuable to a team than a good guard.

This move doesn't make sense..Todd is still young and has up side...Jon isn't old but I think we stay with Todd..

Go For IT!

I'd love to see Jansen or Wade line up next to Nails! They would be human tractors......

clear.gif

Well Norv Turner drafted Jansen. What makes me look at this revelation from PFT with interest is the fact that there's really no reason for the Dolphins to be interested in Jansen, at least on the outset. The Jets are dubious at best about needing either a Left Tackle or Right Tackle. They'd prefer to use Fabini at Right Tackle if they can. And then you've got the Bears, who have James "Big Cat" Williams at Right Tackle and he is most definitely under contract long term, and they are very happy with this pro bowl tackle. They ARE having some trouble at Left Tackle, however, with Marc Colombo looking very disappointing.

I mean, really, the NY Giants are the only team listed with an unmistakeable need at RIGHT tackle as opposed to left.

So it makes me wonder if coaches think Jansen is ready for the switch to Left, and that is why PFT's "moles" are reporting teams like the Bears, Jets, and Dolphins.

I think the Phins have actually been very dissapointed with Wade's play and so have I. He has not progressed and actually has looked like our worst O-lineman many times this year.

Jansen is young and proven, so that's why we'd have an interest in him. I was shocked when I first heard it as well, but after a few days of thinking I see where there may be a need.

I'd hate to see Wade go, but I'm always up for improving the team.

Wade's not going anywhere and I absolutely guarantee you that any interest in Jon Jansen does not have anything to do with the coaches wanting to drop Todd Wade from the team. He's young and he's cheap and we've got exclusive rights over him with a simple cheap tender offer.

You don't go after a non-Pro Bowl Right Tackle to displace your 2nd round phenom Right Tackle who is only in his 4th year, while you've got glaring weakness at Left Tackle. Its just not done. The LT position takes precedence.

I think the Dolphins will be connected to every big name OL that is a free agent next year. That Jansen plays RT and not LT is just rhetoric at this point. The Dolphins will start their top 5 linemen next year and sort out positions afterward, just like they did this year with Dixon. If Jansen is signed, he will undoubtedly be one of our top 5. We will find a place for him to play.

For further proof, look at the Saints this year. The released their longtime starting LT, William Roaf, and replaced him with a RT, Victor Reiley. Then they moved Their starting RT Kyle Turley to take over for Roaf on the left side.

Happens all the time. The important thing is to play your best 5 every game.

One last comment - LT's make much more than RT's. I wonder if signing Jansen as a RT and then swapping him over to the left side would save us money? It could be that since hes naturally played on the right side, his market value may not be as high as other quality LT's in the league. If this is true, then he could be a big bargain.

Wade is NO phenom any more....after his rookie season i thought he was destined for the pro bowl, but now i often find myself wondering what the hell he is doing out there!!! he had a GREAT GREAT rookie year, but has been anything but a phenom since....right now i'd take jansen, no questions asked.....Wade is restricted after this year isn't he? anyway, it would be an upgrade, but at what cost?

The Skins are doing everything they can to resign Jansen. So he may not even become a free agent. Jansen and the Skins are in heavy talks now and will probably get the deal done soon.

Back
Top Bottom