Interesting Dolphins Superbowl stat | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Dolphins Superbowl stat

I don’t believe so from the standpoint that Theismann was drafted in 71. It would have been a long while until he got a shot.

Even then, he was 33 by the time Marino was drafted. I don’t think believe he would have affected their draft plans had he been the QB by then. And at worse, MIA’s draft position would have been 28 instead of 27.
Good point. And 33 was old for a quarterback back then.

Had Theismann signed with Miami, I wonder if they would have drafted Marino. It may have been Theismann who followed Griese in Miami. Also, if Woodley had fared better in the super bowl, I wonder the same thing.

I always felt bad for Woodley. He had played very well in the postseason win over San Diego two weeks prior and, at that time was considered a young, ascending talent. After the super bowl, that all changed.

Looking back, I'm not sure any adjustments would have worked against San Francisco. Shula did counter with an additional offensive lineman when Walsh put in seven corners, or six. Whatever it was. But then Miami only ran the ball nine times. Credit Walsh there. The Dolphins might have put up 40 points the way Marino was playing at the start of the game. Hard to imagine, but Miami led 10-7 and were looking unstoppable early on.

This narrative is definitely an interesting. But look at Sean McVay and Andy Reid. Both are considered offensive guru's and yet neither of their teams scored an offensive touchdown in the past few super bowls. And we're talking about an ERA when nobody blinks when a quarterback puts up 400 yards, or when two teams combine for 1,000 yards.
It’s an interesting thing to ponder re Theisman. He probably does succeed Griese around ‘79-‘80 as his health was failing (injuries / eyesight). We probably win a SB too. Woodley was a sad story - he suffered from undiagnosed social anxiety and he drank to compensate. HBO did a documentary on him after he died and it was really moving in a dark, sad way. I remember he never took his helmet off when talking to the press (a sign of that phobia - recall Ricky Williams same thing before he was diagnosed and got help). In the documentary, Woodley’s ex-wife said he drank an entire case of beer the night before the SB he was apparently so nervous about being on TV in front of so many people. At 34 he has a liver transplant and continued to drink until his death at just 44. When he was traded to Pitt I believe he was the highest paid QB in football and had some success there before imploding. Sad story. He was really athletic and has a cannon for an arm too.

To be fair, he did help to win a SB at 33 — but yeah, most teams would be looking for a replacement by then.
He was an athletic light on his feet guy. He didn’t “look” 33 out there in ‘83 if you know what I mean. Good athlete who actually returned punts early in his career.

It’s an interesting thing to ponder re Theisman. He probably does succeed Griese around ‘79-‘80 as his health was failing (injuries / eyesight). We probably win a SB too. Woodley was a sad story - he suffered from undiagnosed social anxiety and he drank to compensate. HBO did a documentary on him after he died and it was really moving in a dark, sad way. I remember he never took his helmet off when talking to the press (a sign of that phobia - recall Ricky Williams same thing before he was diagnosed and got help). In the documentary, Woodley’s ex-wife said he drank an entire case of beer the night before the SB he was apparently so nervous about being on TV in front of so many people. At 34 he has a liver transplant and continued to drink until his death at just 44. When he was traded to Pitt I believe he was the highest paid QB in football and had some success there before imploding. Sad story. He was really athletic and has a cannon for an arm too.
That is a really sad story, especially for an athlete or anyone in the public eye.

I remember showing up at Cal State Fullerton, on a rainy day when Miami wasn't supposed to practice. The team showed up, Woodley in the middle of two big players. Can't remember who they were. He was very chatty. Would have never guessed.

Did get Shula's autograph. So, that was a highlight.

As to Theismann, maybe Miami adds another super bowl. He was a good player.

Back
Top Bottom