Interesting Hypothetical Situation (draft Related) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Hypothetical Situation (draft Related)

Pass. RB is not a spot I want to lock big money in or trade picks for.

Normally I would agree with you, however IMO Barkley is a generational RB. To be able to get a player of his caliber for 4 years on a rookie contract then a 5th year option does amazing things to a team. I don't see him sliding out of the top 5 though, so Miami would have to go up and get him.

I think fans take for granted what a really good running game can do for a team. We are so accustomed now to seeing chunk plays that those short gains in critical moments seem kind of ho hum.

Yet those are the plays that keep drives alive. Not necessarily advocating first round, but not against it either.

I think most fans realize that you do not have to use a first round draft pick to get a really good running game and Barkley doesn't excel in those short yardage ho hum running plays. He does not break a lot of tackles and has a very low yardage after contact average.

I think most fans realize that you do not have to use a first round draft pick to get a really good running game and Barkley doesn't excel in those short yardage ho hum running plays. He does not break a lot of tackles and has a very low yardage after contact average.
I'm a long time Penn state fan, and this is spot on- he's a sick athlete and has tons of highlight plays- but things will be different at the NFL level, and I wonder about this. Not saying he won't be good, or great- and by all reports he's a great guy- but those college runs won't happen so much against NFL athletes. Picking him that high- when other needs are such a priority- might be shortsighted. I'd love to have him if we were just in total upgrade mode, but we have major holes to fill. He'd be a luxury pick for a team that can't resort to that.

If Miami gets Barkley, it will no doubt instantly make Miami's offense extremely formidable, but will not make them a championship team.

Miami gets one of the top LBs, and a top TE they can count on, If Tannehill is healthy, the team will be better.

There is nothing Elliot and Fournette can do, that Drake can not if he's the same RB we saw last year. Miami with Tannehill w/ a running game can move the offense Goal line to goal line, add a premium TE, adds more scoring...get a Top LB, the defense will be better then last year.

I like your draft board. Not sure if we would get lucky to get 2 potentially good TEs; I'd be on board with both.

Barkley is probably the most over hyped draft prospect of our lifetime. The guy is good, but not that good...... For comparison he didn't put up the numbers that Dalvin Cook did, and the Big 10 is trash...... Also take a look what he does in big games....... Don't take my word for it, look these things up, and I guarantee your opinion will change!

If he falls trade the pick to highest bidder. I like Penny and Michel almost as much.

The only way that I see a trade up is for a QB. If not then we sit tight and let a stud fall in our laps. Id prefer Edmunds but if that Stud is Barkley then so be it. We pound the rock next year. Barkley and Drake behind that improved OL would be pretty nice.

I'll probably get some **** for this but let me throw a hypothetical draft situation at you guys to see what you think.

I've seen a few mock drafts that have Saquon Barkley falling towards the bottom of the top 10. I know it's unlikely but let's say come draft day, we get to pick 8 or 9 and Barkley is still there. Would you guys be interested in trading up? I know we have Drake and he's great but Barkley seems to be the kind of game-changing back like Ezekiel Elliot and Leonard Fournette from the past few drafts. I know it depends on what we'd have to give up but in 2013 when we traded up for Dion Jordan we went from pick 12 to 3 and basically only had to give up one 2nd rounder.

I know it's completely hypothetical and very unlikely but it's just something that popped in my head.
In a heart beat!

Back
Top Bottom