Interesting "Radio" Draft Scenario | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting "Radio" Draft Scenario

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Heard a segment on the radio talking about the draft, although I missed who the guest was. Anyway, the premise was that the 2021 draft would be riskier than most drafts with the pandemic and players opting out. College players could be rusty and way behind in terms of playing football. The idea was floated that this would be a good year to trade draft picks for established players, minimizing the risk and getting immediate value. Of course, a team would have to be in a good salary cap position to even entertain that idea.

Personally, I'm not in favor of this approach. But it is at least worth discussing. For the sake of argument, what would you give up for an Aaron Donald or a Fletcher Cox type player?

Depends on the player and his age. If he is 25 or younger I’d give a first.

I read an article about a month ago, that stated, executives around the NFL are concerned with the college player opt outs. They fear there is a chance of falsehood on some of these kids, because by the time the draft in 2021 rolls around it'll be almost 2 yrs since these kids, last played. This could lead to misevaluations on the players and failures in the draft process.

I read an article about a month ago, that stated, executives around the NFL are concerned with the college player opt outs. They fear there is a chance of falsehood on some of these kids, because by the time the draft in 2021 rolls around it'll be almost 2 yrs since these kids, last played. This could lead to misevaluations on the players and failures in the draft process.

You always want to tread carefully regarding the decision by some of these kids that chose not to play - if they chose not to play for a legitimate reason. Such as genuine concern for the health of family members, etc.

However, the term "opt out" isn't entirely accurate across the board, and therein lies the problem. A lot of these kids just saw an opportunity to skip out on the season with visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads. Others that don't really have an NFL future, chose to sit out for the right reasons. It's not real difficult to separate the two.

"Opt out" implies you're still part of the team. Some chose not to play this season with the intent to return to their team next year. That's opting out. The kids that chose not to play just so they could enter the draft did not "opt out". They quit on their team. That's the harsh truth.

You always want to tread carefully regarding the decision by some of these kids that chose not to play - if they chose not to play for a legitimate reason. Such as genuine concern for the health of family members, etc.

However, the term "opt out" isn't entirely accurate across the board, and therein lies the problem. A lot of these kids just saw an opportunity to skip out on the season with visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads. Others that don't really have an NFL future, chose to sit out for the right reasons. It's not real difficult to separate the two.

"Opt out" implies you're still part of the team. Some chose not to play this season with the intent to return to their team next year. That's opting out. The kids that chose not to play just so they could enter the draft did not "opt out". They quit on their team. That's the harsh truth.

Yikes! "Quit?" That's extremely harsh.
Would you extend that opinion to NFL players that also opted out?

Yikes! "Quit?" That's extremely harsh.
Would you extend that opinion to NFL players that also opted out?

NFL players are still part of their team if they opted out. Reread my post. The scenarios are completely different.

NFL players are still part of their team if they opted out. Reread my post. The scenarios are completely different.

I read it and i came away with for a season, at minimum, you're a quitter. You can chose to remain a quitter by going to the NFL or you can chose to redeem yourself by coming back.

Sorry, In context that's how it reads to me.

Quitter is a strong and serious word in team sports.

Fights have broken out for far less.

I read it and i came away with for a season, at minimum, you're a quitter. You can chose to remain a quitter by going to the NFL or you can chose to redeem yourself by coming back.

Sorry, In context that's how it reads to me.

Quitter is a strong and serious word in team sports.

Fights have broken out for far less.

That’s why it’s called the harsh truth. Truth ain’t always easy. If that’s how I see it as your teammate or coach and you want to fight - then square up. But that’s how I see it regardless.

I’m just telling you how a lot of NFL executives are going to look at some of them, which is essentially what the thread is about.

“Opt out” means you’re opting out of this season, but it IMPLIES that you’re still part of the team. If that’s not the case then they need to use a different word. It’s insulting to the players that legitimately opted out of this season, but are still part of their team.

Nobody said they were quitters. I said they quit on their team. They did. I think some players chose not to play without really thinking about how it looks from all angles. If it was explained to them from this point of view, they’d all agree that they quit on their team.

We can fight in the parking lot but it still don’t change it.

No question that there will be more projection in this draft than in any draft in decades.

I know the talent vs. character debate always runs hot, but this is one year where I would lean towards character more than I usually do. Players who have been off awhile who show up even slightly out of shape... I'd drop from my board. I want guys who chose to bust their butts while this was happening.

That’s why it’s called the harsh truth. Truth ain’t always easy. If that’s how I see it as your teammate or coach and you want to fight - then square up. But that’s how I see it regardless.

I’m just telling you how a lot of NFL executives are going to look at some of them, which is essentially what the thread is about.

“Opt out” means you’re opting out of this season, but it IMPLIES that you’re still part of the team. If that’s not the case then they need to use a different word. It’s insulting to the players that legitimately opted out of this season, but are still part of their team.

Nobody said they were quitters. I said they quit on their team. They did. I think some players chose not to play without really thinking about how it looks from all angles. If it was explained to them from this point of view, they’d all agree that they quit on their team.

We can fight in the parking lot but it still don’t change it.

This is p far off in my mind. We’re skipping out rather vital things like “risk.” Also combining two different choices with one choice.

two questions he has to ask himself. They are different choices, and different actions. Period.

to sit out your final college season?
To return to college?

Just because you say yes to one and not the other you’re a quitter? ESPECIALLY if you’re good enough to go pro? Nah. I don’t buy that. I get it’s cute to try and build up bad players Into heroes, but a guy sitting out a season who doesn’t have an nfl career ahead isnt really much of a sacrifice on his part.

Doesn’t seem like much tension or anger going on in locker rooms where players opted out - at krazy in my very limited empirical evidence, so maybe this is all moot anyway. i imagine GMs have a better pulse on it than either of us and they’ll make the call based on that Feeling

No question that there will be more projection in this draft than in any draft in decades.

I know the talent vs. character debate always runs hot, but this is one year where I would lean towards character more than I usually do. Players who have been off awhile who show up even slightly out of shape... I'd drop from my board. I want guys who chose to bust their butts while this was happening.
That's exactly how I took the article that I had read. There is concern they won't devote themselves to football activities and conditioning.

This is p far off in my mind. We’re skipping out rather vital things like “risk.” Also combining two different choices with one choice.

two questions he has to ask himself. They are different choices, and different actions. Period.

to sit out your final college season?
To return to college?

Just because you say yes to one and not the other you’re a quitter? ESPECIALLY if you’re good enough to go pro? Nah. I don’t buy that. I get it’s cute to try and build up bad players Into heroes, but a guy sitting out a season who doesn’t have an nfl career ahead isnt really much of a sacrifice on his part.

Doesn’t seem like much tension or anger going on in locker rooms where players opted out - at krazy in my very limited empirical evidence, so maybe this is all moot anyway. i imagine GMs have a better pulse on it than either of us and they’ll make the call based on that Feeling

Final college season? Some of the players sitting out have only played one college season.

There’s a lot more players that are going to be high draft picks that chose not to sit out.

They quit on their team. I don’t give a **** what the reason was.

Final college season? Some of the players sitting out have only played one college season.

There’s a lot more players that are going to be high draft picks that chose not to sit out.

They quit on their team. I don’t give a **** what the reason was.

So if they had elderly parents living with them... or a pregnant girlfriend in a high risk category... they quit on their team?

Have I got that right?

I’m not giving an opinion, I’m stating a fact. They quit on their team if they chose not to play just so they could enter the draft. Period.

Yeah you can adjust and find all kinda ways to soften it, but it still doesn’t change it. Just because it may have been a “business decision” doesn’t mean you didn’t quit on your team. A few of em just saw an opportunity to do it under the guise of opting out. Some opted out. Some just flat out quit.

You’re right their teammates and coaches may not all hold them accountable. Just wish em good luck and carry on. They understand the climate.

But I promise you when that guy looks in the mirror he knows he quit on his football team. Just be careful because once you do it, it gets easier to do after that.

Back
Top Bottom