Interesting stat on NFL Live | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting stat on NFL Live

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
They just showed a stat of the last 6 or so QBs taken 1st overall.. Most had over a 1000 pass attempts in college.. Rodgers and Smith have around 500-600 each. Only Mike Vick had fewer with 380 or so..

And there was an interesting quote from Vermeil.. Something to the effect of " Teams choosing a QB 1st overall are normally losing teams. If a coach drafts a QB that high expecting that player to make them a winner, chances are that coach will be fired soon"

That is a good stat, but I don't consider us a losing team, I think we just had an unfortunate accident that lasted a couple years.

well what vermiel said i dont totally agree with, most teams when they are the worst in the league are rebuilding and need many pieces, and if the best player in the draft is a QB you take him...

its just i dont think you HAVE to take the QB if the best player is another position, take care of that one, a QB is just another piece to the puzzle, not the only piece...

arsenal said:
well what vermiel said i dont totally agree with, most teams when they are the worst in the league are rebuilding and need many pieces, and if the best player in the draft is a QB you take him...

its just i dont think you HAVE to take the QB if the best player is another position, take care of that one, a QB is just another piece to the puzzle, not the only piece...

Quarterback isn't just a piece of the puzzle. It's the most important piece.

every piece is important... again you can have the best QB in the world if you dont have the pieces around him it wont matter...

SkapePhin said:
They just showed a stat of the last 6 or so QBs taken 1st overall.. Most had over a 1000 pass attempts in college.. Rodgers and Smith have around 500-600 each. Only Mike Vick had fewer with 380 or so..

And there was an interesting quote from Vermeil.. Something to the effect of " Teams choosing a QB 1st overall are normally losing teams. If a coach drafts a QB that high expecting that player to make them a winner, chances are that coach will be fired soon"

That is because Vermeil has never had that high of a pick...But I will say that he and his staff do fantastic work in both the player development and free agency areas.

You guys aren't getting what Vermeil is saying. He's saying that if your team sucks (San Fran, San Diego and cincy back when, chicago recently) take a QB at the top spot and expect him to come in and start, then you're in for a rude awakening. A good coach won't start a rookie QB. They give him 2-3 years to groom. So even if we took a QB, I don't se Saban starting him for 1-2 years at least.

No surprise on Ron Mexico, I mean Icantthrow, I mean Vick.

SkapePhin said:

I agree with him...unless his name is Marino, Elway or P. Manning.

KB21 said:
Quarterback isn't just a piece of the puzzle. It's the most important piece.

Having the right piece is important...not just a piece...or a QB. And neither Rodgers or Smith are the right pieces as they are.

finsnchips said:
i would hate for us to go 3-13, but Leinart would be awesome.

lol, deal. I could suffer one more season of agony for leinart

SkapePhin said:

So Dick, I'd imagine the same holds true when your defense sucks for 3 years straight and you fail to draft appropriate defensive players in the first 2-3 rounds??

arsenal said:
every piece is important... again you can have the best QB in the world if you dont have the pieces around him it wont matter...

maybe he wasn't watching as our QB's were eating alive everytime they went back to pass.. :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom