Interesting stat | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting stat

I can see why he was compared to Brady if one game is indicative..not to say he's gonna win 6 Super Bowls much less one..but he sure loves the dink/dunk to RB's and TE's and short to WR's..barely went vertical..but um..that's what Brady was his last few years with the Pats..some Super Bowl winning years..but idk man..Mac is good but Mac is the most game read QB in this past years draft..and went to the best team beyond maybe Trey Lance who has a QB in front of him blocking his way, more or less, atm..but we'll see.
When looking at their FA signings on offense where they went after 2 TEs and 2 WRs who are good at run blocking I thought it was pretty evident they were looking to get back to a quick pass/run game based offense even before Mac was drafted or expected to start the opener. Mac ran that game plan phenomenally well yesterday, continually finding the open man even under duress and gassing our defense with short passing efficiency. I give him all sorts of credit for being able to do that. But we were also going into the game with no real game tape on him and only our familiarity with BB’s general offensive tendencies (which can be pretty ambiguous when you consider how he used to change the offense every week to beat exploit opposing defenses). Now, that goes both ways in week one, obviously. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Gesicki laid a goose egg statistically. I believe the speculation that BB identified MG as the guy to take out of the game plan (much like he used to do with Jarvis Landry when he was here) based off what our offense looked like toward the end of last year and what the tape showed from preseason. And we still won by way of 2 very efficient opening drives and one scoring drive to end the half. So they didn’t really get it right either. When we face them again both teams will have a full season of tape on their opponent. I think that’ll lead to a less sloppy game for both teams and we’ll have a better idea of Mac’s tendencies to draw up a game plan to beat him. Again.

I thought the Patriots plan for the use of Mac Jones was spot on- he executed pretty well what they asked him to do. He got a lot of yards, he took care of the ball. Once the field got compacted it got a little tougher for him, but I think that New England will adjust to that and probably get better.
New England somehow always manages to get adequate players and make them look really good- none of those skill players are top tier guys- maybe that one TE- but they all just look like death by a thousand paper cut type of guys. It drives me nuts.
That win yesterday was a huge win- I know there is lots of room for Miami to improve, but winning on the road on opening day vs Belicheck in New England is no joke. I try to remember that we tore the roster down so bare just two seasons ago, we have so many young players, that we aren't built up quite yet to that level of elite. But I am grateful for the win, and I know Flores will get this team better as the season goes on- because history has shown that is what he does.

Nice post!

There's a reason Flores stresses TNT (Takes no talent) and unselfish, team-first, players who love football. They have talent, but most of the players on the field aren't superstars. What do we have to do when someone gets injured? Next man up, right? It's a simple concept, and sometimes hard to implement, but a lot of game-day challenges can be overcome if our guys communicate and just do their jobs.

No he didn't. Below was stolen from chevss on patriotsplanet:

He only had 10 incompletions...
Patriots QB Mac Jones: 29/39, 281 yards, TD, 102.6 rating

From PFF
PlayerRoutes RunTargetReceptionYards
Jakobi Meyers429644
Nelson Agholor427671
Kendrick Bourne274361
Hunter Henry263331
Jonnu Smith205542

Jones got the ball out quickly with an average time to throw of 2.37, fifth-fastest among quarterbacks in Week 1 pending the Sunday and Monday night games.

Mac Jones passing by depth​

Target DepthCompletionsAttemptsYardsTouchdowns
9 yards or less22261541
10-19 downfield46760
20+ downfield34790

By contrast:

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth​

9 yards or less13141131
10-19 downfield19230
20+ downfield24660

Note: Tua only had 3 passes completed beyond 10 yds.

and the other rookies
Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence: 28/51, 332 yards, three TDs, three INTs, 70.1 rating
Jets QB Zach Wilson: 20/37, 258 yards, two TDs, INT, 82.9 rating
mac jones did miss OPEN receivers... Tua DID NOT.

Jones played like a statue he threw a lot to the backs underneath

I made this point earlier that Mac Jones is going to get a lot of contact in the pocket where he was hit hard a few times and it will count as the season progresses - Tua got hit 4 times but he was under duress more and I think he can handle his way around the pocket

I saw a bend not break D from MD - they gave up the soft dink and dunk - and are fortunate to get the TOs
Why are the Fins always “fortunate” or “lucky” to get the turnovers? If NE forced those fumbles it would be good coaching and practice habits leading to those turnovers… the guys caused and recovered the fumbles- not lucky hits, or a guy just dropping the ball… they outmuscled them- literally took the ball away… they were better in that facet… turnovers are really a thing with Flores coached defence

No he didn't. Below was stolen from chevss on patriotsplanet:

He only had 10 incompletions...
Patriots QB Mac Jones: 29/39, 281 yards, TD, 102.6 rating

From PFF
PlayerRoutes RunTargetReceptionYards
Jakobi Meyers429644
Nelson Agholor427671
Kendrick Bourne274361
Hunter Henry263331
Jonnu Smith205542

Jones got the ball out quickly with an average time to throw of 2.37, fifth-fastest among quarterbacks in Week 1 pending the Sunday and Monday night games.

Mac Jones passing by depth​

9 yards or less22261541
10-19 downfield46760
20+ downfield34790

By contrast:

9 yards or less13141131
10-19 downfield19230
20+ downfield24660

and the other rookies
Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence: 28/51, 332 yards, three TDs, three INTs, 70.1 rating
Jets QB Zach Wilson: 20/37, 258 yards, two TDs, INT, 82.9 rating

Maybe the data is fluid, but the numbers in the above chart look slightly off. Below, taken from NexGenStats. I like how they present the data.

NextGenPassing_Wk1.PNG

Why are the Fins always “fortunate” or “lucky” to get the turnovers? If NE forced those fumbles it would be good coaching and practice habits leading to those turnovers… the guys caused and recovered the fumbles- not lucky hits, or a guy just dropping the ball… they outmuscled them- literally took the ball away… they were better in that facet… turnovers are really a thing with Flores coached defence
It wasn’t lucky it was made/found fortune so fortunate

Not all. But a good amount for a first start ever, rookie QB. I get it.

But let's not 'crown him' yet...or is it "gold jacket" him.

He looked great.

Lawrence threw three picks.

Is that to say Mac is a better QB based on one start? Erm. Lol...
The New England system under Bellicheck has always been quarterback friendly.

Not to take anything away from Jones. It was an encouraging debut for him.

But he wasn't asked to do too much either.

I think it's pretty obvious that Flores stresses TO creation. The Pats, during their dynastic run, have almost always been among the top 10 in the league at getting TOs. All teams say they focus on it, but some teams do it better and more consistently. Miami is one of those teams.

He looked great.

This is Finheaven bro. You know how many players would be inducted into the HOF after 1 game if this place was in charge of voting and there was no waiting period.

He looked great.

People seem to forget what BB and McDaniel can do with ANY QB. They are magicians, coupled with an oustanding OL and thats the reason I said that It wouldnt surprise me if three years from now Mac Jones Is the best QB of this class.

mac jones did miss OPEN receivers... Tua DID NOT.
Here you are, again:

By contrast:

9 yards or less13141131
10-19 downfield19230
20+ downfield24660

Here you are, again:

By contrast:

9 yards or less13141131
10-19 downfield19230
20+ downfield24660

So a couple things here. After reviewing his incompletions they were honestly not that bad. The numbers you post are always misleading because it only accounts for the passing part of a completion. There is a required catch component that yesterday some of the receivers just missed on. Over half of the incompletions IMO were of the receivers fault. 1 was a beauty of a block for a TD by the Pats Mills. I counted 3 bad passes and then of course there was the OOB interception which was a mistake.

Feel free to check it out yourself:

Here's what I counted:

6 on target, missed/dropped by receivers (2 of them by Gman). 1 of them was a perfect throw to the endzone that was blocked by the Pats CB on a fantastic play.
1 ball tipped
2 balls overthrown, 1 almost an INT.
1 ball thrown behind
1 INT trying to throw OOB but tipped back to the Pats by Gman.

Almost all of these fall in the +10 category.

Back
Top Bottom