Interesting stat | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting stat

After being hit a few times
yup and that's why you can't just look at qb stats. first of all, i don't care who the qb is, if you can't run the ball and protect him in passing downs, you can't win.. (the best qb in the game proved that in the SB last year)
sooooo the way i look at is how did my QB do with the plays that were called and did he execute.. Tua (other than the int when he got drilled trying to throw it away) didn't miss any throws that i can recall. now i would love to see the coaches film to see if he always went to the right read but we don't get to see that. He also sensed pressure and moved when he needed to which was alot because we couldn't pick up their blitz anywhere near as well as they picked up ours.

but i am not a tua homer or hater either. if he's our guy for 10 -15 years and we win that's great.. if we move on at some point and jacoby brisset turns into the next mahomes, that's great too. if we win every game the way the 86 bears did or the trent dilfer ravens did and we are SB champs, i'm good with that too

So a couple things here. After reviewing his incompletions they were honestly not that bad. The numbers you post are always misleading because it only accounts for the passing part of a completion. There is a required catch component that yesterday some of the receivers just missed on. Over half of the incompletions IMO were of the receivers fault. 1 was a beauty of a block for a TD by the Pats Mills. I counted 3 bad passes and then of course there was the OOB interception which was a mistake.

Feel free to check it out yourself:

Here's what I counted:

6 on target, missed/dropped by receivers (2 of them by Gman). 1 of them was a perfect throw to the endzone that was blocked by the Pats CB on a fantastic play.
1 ball tipped
2 balls overthrown, 1 almost an INT.
1 ball thrown behind
1 INT trying to throw OOB but tipped back to the Pats by Gman.

Almost all of these fall in the +10 category.

There are LIES, DAMN LIES and Statistics. So I agree that they will mislead. That said, my post was in response to a post about stats.

Tua will be a very serviceable QB for MIA especially with Flores around to keep everything else in check. He is clearly the best HC in MIA since 10 years before Shula retired.

How about an article of comparison not based on stats?

From Breer's MMQB series today

I think it’s hard to believe that the Dolphins would feel better about Tua Tagovailoa than the Patriots do about Mac Jones this morning. And I say that with a whole lot of respect for the job that Brian Flores has done. He’s now 3–2 against his mentor, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, and Miami’s 17–16 win over New England was his second in Foxboro. His team was tough and disciplined, and won the game despite being outgained 393 to 259, in large part because Xavien Howard was able rip the ball away from Patriots bell cow Damien Harris inside the Dolphins’ 10 to preserve the one-point lead with 3:31 left; and because the offense was able to churn out a couple of first downs after that to ensure Jones and the Patriots wouldn’t get the ball back. And by looks of how Jones came on late, it’s a good thing for the Dolphins they didn’t. You could see the confidence Jones was gaining, and the coaches were putting in him. On a third-and-6 with 6:51 to go, Jones stared down a blitz and delivered the ball through a forest of D-linemen to Jakobi Meyers for seven yards and a first down. Five snaps later, Belichick and Josh McDaniels wheeled Jones out there in an empty look—making him personally responsible for extra rushers—and Jones took the snap and quickly dealt it to Jonnu Smith for 11 yards to set up first-and-10 from the Dolphin 11 with 3:35 to go. Harris’s fumble came on the next play, but I’d say the Patriots, even in a loss, saw a lot of what they wanted to see from their rookie QB. As for the Dolphins and Tagovailoa? Well, here’s what Patriots DB J.C. Jackson said, in response to a question on Tagovailoa’s pick (running from Matthew Judon, he tried to throw the ball away, and it ended up in Jonathan Jones’s hands near the boundary instead): “That’s what he does. If he doesn’t have his first read, he just is going to throw the ball up and that’s when we capitalize on defense when he makes mistakes like that.” Harsh comment? Maybe. But it also matches up with the reputation Tagovailoa had coming out of Alabama—where Jones thrived on his depth of knowledge of the game, Tagovailoa played more off instinct, accuracy and overall twitchiness. The hard truth here is that Tua looked explosive and played fast at Bama, and that hasn’t translated to the pros. There’s still time, of course. But it was at least a tad alarming that Tagovailoa’s old college backup, now an NFL rookie, looked better in a regular-season setting.

There are LIES, DAMN LIES and Statistics. So I agree that they will mislead. That said, my post was in response to a post about stats.

Tua will be a very serviceable QB for MIA especially with Flores around to keep everything else in check. He is clearly the best HC in MIA since 10 years before Shula retired.

I think it’s hard to believe that the Dolphins would feel better about Tua Tagovailoa than the Patriots do about Mac Jones this morning. And I say that with a whole lot of respect for the job that Brian Flores has done. He’s now 3–2 against his mentor, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, and Miami’s 17–16 win over New England was his second in Foxboro. His team was tough and disciplined, and won the game despite being outgained 393 to 259, in large part because Xavien Howard was able rip the ball away from Patriots bell cow Damien Harris inside the Dolphins’ 10 to preserve the one-point lead with 3:31 left; and because the offense was able to churn out a couple of first downs after that to ensure Jones and the Patriots wouldn’t get the ball back. And by looks of how Jones came on late, it’s a good thing for the Dolphins they didn’t. You could see the confidence Jones was gaining, and the coaches were putting in him. On a third-and-6 with 6:51 to go, Jones stared down a blitz and delivered the ball through a forest of D-linemen to Jakobi Meyers for seven yards and a first down. Five snaps later, Belichick and Josh McDaniels wheeled Jones out there in an empty look—making him personally responsible for extra rushers—and Jones took the snap and quickly dealt it to Jonnu Smith for 11 yards to set up first-and-10 from the Dolphin 11 with 3:35 to go. Harris’s fumble came on the next play, but I’d say the Patriots, even in a loss, saw a lot of what they wanted to see from their rookie QB. As for the Dolphins and Tagovailoa? Well, here’s what Patriots DB J.C. Jackson said, in response to a question on Tagovailoa’s pick (running from Matthew Judon, he tried to throw the ball away, and it ended up in Jonathan Jones’s hands near the boundary instead): “That’s what he does. If he doesn’t have his first read, he just is going to throw the ball up and that’s when we capitalize on defense when he makes mistakes like that.” Harsh comment? Maybe. But it also matches up with the reputation Tagovailoa had coming out of Alabama—where Jones thrived on his depth of knowledge of the game, Tagovailoa played more off instinct, accuracy and overall twitchiness. The hard truth here is that Tua looked explosive and played fast at Bama, and that hasn’t translated to the pros. There’s still time, of course. But it was at least a tad alarming that Tagovailoa’s old college backup, now an NFL rookie, looked better in a regular-season setting.
Yeah, not saying you were insinuating or anything. It actually drove me to try and go down the rabbit hole this time and watch them. I tend to stay away, but sometimes stats are a little deceiving especially when it comes to Tua who game manages more than creates highlight reels.

I think of those three..Allen is starting to learn not to run as much...he's got the best chance if it's "run less, pocket pass more" you desire.
Did you watch him play yesterday, he ran a lot.
They weren’t broken plays either, they were designed plays for him.

Tua Was under duress often and we did get pressure on Mac but he got rid of the ball For some pretty nice throws. Several of them on third down.

I remember some lofty praise for Ryan Tannehill in his first and possibly second season as he amassed yardage totals we hadn't seen since Dan Marino was taking snaps. What the critics had against Tannehill, then, was that he had the yardage of a star but simply was not putting the points on the board to win the games.

Yesterday, the difference between Mac and Tua is that Tua found the end zone twice versus Mac only once. And that is the difference in the outcomes.

Feels nice being on the side with the more touchdowns for a change. In the end, the stat that carries the most weight for the QB is number of times he finds the end zone, right? I'm not suggesting it's a solid trend but the guy with the penchant for scoring will go farthest in this league.

I remember some lofty praise for Ryan Tannehill in his first and possibly second season as he amassed yardage totals we hadn't seen since Dan Marino was taking snaps. What the critics had against Tannehill, then, was that he had the yardage of a star but simply was not putting the points on the board to win the games.

Yesterday, the difference between Mac and Tua is that Tua found the end zone twice versus Mac only once. And that is the difference in the outcomes.

Feels nice being on the side with the more touchdowns for a change. In the end, the stat that carries the most weight for the QB is number of times he finds the end zone, right? I'm not suggesting it's a solid trend but the guy with the penchant for scoring will go farthest in this league.

Fumbles. They were the delta.

3rd down on the Fins 11 with 3 mins to play. No fumble would mean that Tua would have been forced to take the Fins down the field to try to overcome a 19-17 Pats lead (or 23/24-17 Pats lead).

The Fins played great and put themselves in a position to win when Harris fumbled...

On the Fins 11 yard line...

With 3 minutes left in the game...

The black text above is huge as were the fumbles.

But to claim that Tua outplayed Mac is unrealistic.

Nice win. Belichick like win. Hang on to Flores.

Nn ESPN's "Get up!" they are really hyping Mac Jones..oh boy..he was good..best rookie QB this first week of the NFL season..but wow..one game makes not a season or career..we'll see!

(I know it's their job to hype up everything and anything in sports and stuff, but wow..he wasn't throwing dimes all over the field, like hitting guys for big play after big play)...slow your roll. Lol

As bad as GMFB is; Get up is infinitely worse.

Fumbles. They were the delta.

3rd down on the Fins 11 with 3 mins to play. No fumble would mean that Tua would have been forced to take the Fins down the field to try to overcome a 19-17 Pats lead (or 23/24-17 Pats lead).

The Fins played great and put themselves in a position to win when Harris fumbled...

On the Fins 11 yard line...

With 3 minutes left in the game...

The black text above is huge as were the fumbles.

But to claim that Tua outplayed Mac is unrealistic.

Nice win. Belichick like win. Hang on to Flores.

All fine points. Just don't dismiss the times when the Patriots settled for field goals while Tua put the ball into the end zone.

All fine points. Just don't dismiss the times when the Patriots settled for field goals while Tua put the ball into the end zone.
I'm not. In fact, I included the FG's in the (no fumble) likely outcome. FG's count and would have been the difference. 24-17 with 2 TD's and 3 FG's in a nice day for a rookie QB playing in his first game. Heck, a 4th FG would have likely won it, but.....

FUMBLE!!!!!!! The fumble counts too. Which was the actual difference maker.

Tua will be fine if you can keep Flores. He will never be great. "fine" has won the SB, but not often.

The jury is out on Mac, but I like what I see so far. He has the potential to be great. Can't spend potential.

Mac Jones did a good job finding receivers and making some good throws. That said his depth per throw was less than 2 yards and his YPA was 5.6 in 10 throws against the 3 CBs. These numbers are far more telling of his performance than simply looking at the 281 total yards he's credited for. The large majority of his passing statistics were generated between the 20s. Once into the red zone the Dolphins defense clamped down and Jones didn't execute so well. A nice first game but far short of what some want you to believe.

Back
Top Bottom