Interesting stat | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting stat

Mac Jones did a good job finding receivers and making some good throws. That said his depth per throw was less than 2 yards and his YPA was 5.6 in 10 throws against the 3 CBs. These numbers are far more telling of his performance than simply looking at the 281 total yards he's credited for. The large majority of his passing statistics were generated between the 20s. Once into the red zone the Dolphins defense clamped down and Jones didn't execute so well. A nice first game but far short of what some want you to believe.
Do you know the number of runs vs. throws in the red zone you are talking about?

I don't.

Do you know the number of runs vs. throws in the red zone you are talking about?

I don't.
I looked it up. The Pats ran 9 plays inside the MIA redzone. 5 passes and 4 runs. 1 pass for a TD and 1 run was the fumble. Mac only threw the ball into the end zone once.

The MIA D was good. The NWE play calling was very conservative.

Last edited:
There are LIES, DAMN LIES and Statistics. So I agree that they will mislead. That said, my post was in response to a post about stats.

Tua will be a very serviceable QB for MIA especially with Flores around to keep everything else in check. He is clearly the best HC in MIA since 10 years before Shula retired.

How about an article of comparison not based on stats?

From Breer's MMQB series today

I think it’s hard to believe that the Dolphins would feel better about Tua Tagovailoa than the Patriots do about Mac Jones this morning. And I say that with a whole lot of respect for the job that Brian Flores has done. He’s now 3–2 against his mentor, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, and Miami’s 17–16 win over New England was his second in Foxboro. His team was tough and disciplined, and won the game despite being outgained 393 to 259, in large part because Xavien Howard was able rip the ball away from Patriots bell cow Damien Harris inside the Dolphins’ 10 to preserve the one-point lead with 3:31 left; and because the offense was able to churn out a couple of first downs after that to ensure Jones and the Patriots wouldn’t get the ball back. And by looks of how Jones came on late, it’s a good thing for the Dolphins they didn’t. You could see the confidence Jones was gaining, and the coaches were putting in him. On a third-and-6 with 6:51 to go, Jones stared down a blitz and delivered the ball through a forest of D-linemen to Jakobi Meyers for seven yards and a first down. Five snaps later, Belichick and Josh McDaniels wheeled Jones out there in an empty look—making him personally responsible for extra rushers—and Jones took the snap and quickly dealt it to Jonnu Smith for 11 yards to set up first-and-10 from the Dolphin 11 with 3:35 to go. Harris’s fumble came on the next play, but I’d say the Patriots, even in a loss, saw a lot of what they wanted to see from their rookie QB. As for the Dolphins and Tagovailoa? Well, here’s what Patriots DB J.C. Jackson said, in response to a question on Tagovailoa’s pick (running from Matthew Judon, he tried to throw the ball away, and it ended up in Jonathan Jones’s hands near the boundary instead): “That’s what he does. If he doesn’t have his first read, he just is going to throw the ball up and that’s when we capitalize on defense when he makes mistakes like that.” Harsh comment? Maybe. But it also matches up with the reputation Tagovailoa had coming out of Alabama—where Jones thrived on his depth of knowledge of the game, Tagovailoa played more off instinct, accuracy and overall twitchiness. The hard truth here is that Tua looked explosive and played fast at Bama, and that hasn’t translated to the pros. There’s still time, of course. But it was at least a tad alarming that Tagovailoa’s old college backup, now an NFL rookie, looked better in a regular-season setting.

To me, this is just looking at the symptoms without properly diagnosing the illness. I don't have the resources or the ability to evaluate the tape, but I would suspect that Tua was following the rules on where to go with the ball based on our offensive plan. Giving credit where credit is due, the Patriots had an excellent defensive plan for us. As with any good defense, they made us one-dimensional and basically took away our ability to run the ball consistently (probably not that hard to do, right now). Also, they seemed to be able to pressure Tua at will, which forced us to keep extra guys in to block. Except for Waddle and slants to Parker, their coverage was tight. It looked to me like we were forced into playing our offense with one hand tied behind our back. It wasn't an easy day, but I do not think it was all Tua's fault. That said, we won, and yes, Tua did enough to help make it happen, despite an OL as porous as a sieve. If we are going to compare, let's see how Tua does behind the Patriot's OL and with their experienced coordinator, McDaniels. I am guessing he would look a heck of a lot better. Is he the future? I hope so, but I don't know. For me, it's too early to tell, and I still think our young team, especially our offense, needs time to gel - our new co-offensive coordinators, with no experience as offensive coordinators, too.

I'm not. In fact, I included the FG's in the (no fumble) likely outcome. FG's count and would have been the difference. 24-17 with 2 TD's and 3 FG's in a nice day for a rookie QB playing in his first game. Heck, a 4th FG would have likely won it, but.....

FUMBLE!!!!!!! The fumble counts too. Which was the actual difference maker.

Tua will be fine if you can keep Flores. He will never be great. "fine" has won the SB, but not often.

The jury is out on Mac, but I like what I see so far. He has the potential to be great. Can't spend potential.

Here's one for the hypothetical. Tua marches down the field for the kill after a Patriots field goal to take the lead as opposed to getting a first down and then running the clock out.

Although, what I actually expected yesterday was for Jones to lead them on a TD drive plus they go for the 2 pt conversion to go up by a full score.

Then Tua has to drive the Dolphins down the field for a TD. They do it and go into overtime...

Back
Top Bottom