Intro to Curtis Weaver DE: 5th RD | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro to Curtis Weaver DE: 5th RD

The issue with his body type is that not many pass rushers have succeeded with it.

That does not mean he can't, but it does suggest it is less likely than a guy who fits the measurables.

There are always outliers of course, but he did slide to the 5th round after starring in college so clearly the NFL viewed him as less than a sure bet.

The issue with his body type is that not many pass rushers have succeeded with it.

That does not mean he can't, but it does suggest it is less likely than a guy who fits the measurables.

There are always outliers of course, but he did slide to the 5th round after starring in college so clearly the NFL viewed him as less than a sure bet.

Body type is underrated, not overrated. The Dolphins have failed countless times with builds that aren't close to ideal for the position, like Egnew and Dallas Thomas, etc. Gesicki has an awful build for tight end, in comparison to someone like Dallas Goedert who has a perfect build. But the Dolphins gave up/wised up and did what djphinfan always said was proper...stop pretending he's a tight end and just split him out as a goofy slot guy.

I always liked Curtis Weaver in college. Many post midnight watches rounding the corner and causing problems. The 7.0 three cone is indeed key. I think I was the first one to spotlight that in the Draft Forum. Of all the agility/explosiveness drills for edge that one seems to translate best. In fact, it is so strong that one of the numerical sack projection models uses 3 cone as a standalone instead of combining it with other test scores.

He lasted that long because of the strange frame and always looking soft. Weaver reminded me a little bit of Wahoo McDaniel, who was a famous bad body defender for the expansion Dolphins in the late '60s.

Projections are funny things, and I will take technique over body type (if I have to choose) every time. Here's why; I've seen a lot of guys who are "prototypes" at a position, aren't technically sound with their hands and feet, but are overdrafted because they have one good move and are combine warriors. Dion Jordan and Vernon Gholston come to mind.

Curtis Weaver is the opposite; he looks like the wrong guy for the job, but got it done consistently. To be honest, he reminds me of a less explosive Dwight Freeney (minus Freeney's ridiculous spin move). HOWEVER, I'm really interested to see what happens when Weaver has access to NFL caliber strength and conditioning coaches.

Projections are funny things, and I will take technique over body type (if I have to choose) every time. Here's why; I've seen a lot of guys who are "prototypes" at a position, aren't technically sound with their hands and feet, but are overdrafted because they have one good move and are combine warriors. Dion Jordan and Vernon Gholston come to mind.

Curtis Weaver is the opposite; he looks like the wrong guy for the job, but got it done consistently. To be honest, he reminds me of a less explosive Dwight Freeney (minus Freeney's ridiculous spin move). HOWEVER, I'm really interested to see what happens when Weaver has access to NFL caliber strength and conditioning coaches.

Years ago I heard an NFL coach say football is a sport of technique. Yes, a minimum of athletic talent is necessary, but good solid technique is important. Weaver looked very good against less than stellar competition. Now he needs to get the technique [and conditioning] down.
I would also add instincts- mental quickness- call it whatever you wa t, but that can't be taught

Years ago I heard an NFL coach say football is a sport of technique. Yes, a minimum of athletic talent is necessary, but good solid technique is important. Weaver looked very good against less than stellar competition. Now he needs to get the technique [and conditioning] down.
I would also add instincts- mental quickness- call it whatever you wa t, but that can't be taught

Here's a fun exercise that will probably make you grin: Typing in "Curtis Weaver Instincts" into a Google Search gets you this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 12.52.47 PM.png

Right? Let’s see what he looks like in/after year 2 imo. Could develop his body and play quite nicely

Just not a David Boston transformation lol

Body type is underrated, not overrated. The Dolphins have failed countless times with builds that aren't close to ideal for the position, like Egnew and Dallas Thomas, etc. Gesicki has an awful build for tight end, in comparison to someone like Dallas Goedert who has a perfect build. But the Dolphins gave up/wised up and did what djphinfan always said was proper...stop pretending he's a tight end and just split him out as a goofy slot guy.

I always liked Curtis Weaver in college. Many post midnight watches rounding the corner and causing problems. The 7.0 three cone is indeed key. I think I was the first one to spotlight that in the Draft Forum. Of all the agility/explosiveness drills for edge that one seems to translate best. In fact, it is so strong that one of the numerical sack projection models uses 3 cone as a standalone instead of combining it with other test scores.

He lasted that long because of the strange frame and always looking soft. Weaver reminded me a little bit of Wahoo McDaniel, who was a famous bad body defender for the expansion Dolphins in the late '60s.
I do study the Physiques of the players, I do sometimes stay away from a player, or project a player to bust based on it..usually it’s frame related..few Players come to mind that I went on record and said I’d stay away based on frame\physique.

1) Aaron Maybin..wanted no part, popcorn muscles loaded onto a thin frame..dude Predictably got pushed around like a rag doll..

2) Kevin Dodd..thought he would bust regardless, but his body wasn’t good.

3) this one I took a lot of heat for because lots of pundits and fans wanted him to be a dolphin and that was Malik Hooker...I thought his playing style/ tackling technique relative to his body type and frame would make him suceptible to injury..

one that I got wrong when I went on the record Saying I would stay away, was Jessie Bates out of wake forest..

the one thing about Weaver is this short area athleticism that he displays, that cone time is no joke, but it makes sense from an athletic standpoint, imo I don’t correlate athleticism with speed, or vert, for me it’s hi level precise coordination, thats what athleticism is to me, and this kids basketball past tells me that as well, he was a good player in high school..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom