Intro to Curtis Weaver DE: 5th RD | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro to Curtis Weaver DE: 5th RD

He does not fit the physical trait mold for NFL pass rushers.

There have been guys who had success who were similar to him physically but they are not very common.

He will have to refine his technique and work like a madman to be more than a situational guy. Hopefully he will follow Van Noy around(Van Ginkel should too)and learn everything he can.

His 3 cone numbers were good though, so that is promising.

We do not know what Miami plans for him, will be stand up at OLB and rush the passer, or will he play DE?

I think stand up edge rusher might be his best shot.

He's looking a little run down from that Miami heat in that video! But, that's why it's good to see them plugging away.

I really think the, 'his body is shaped wrong' type of analysis is over-played. (Remember the Gesicki stuff from his first year).

An inch or so isn't a death sentence for some players. Remember, we just drafted a QB who is a whole eigth of an inch over six feet tall. Zach was small.

It could happen, let's see a few games.

The draft is over. Maybe we got steals in 5th rd.. I hope he pan out.

I really think the, 'his body is shaped wrong' type of analysis is over-played. (Remember the Gesicki stuff from his first year).

An inch or so isn't a death sentence for some players. Remember, we just drafted a QB who is a whole eigth of an inch over six feet tall. Zach was small.

It could happen, let's see a few games.
Yeah people who criticize a guy for being 6'2" instead of 6'4" are ridiculous. Long arms could easily make up for that height difference, plus Charles Harris looked like a Greek God, but couldn't get a sack unless his blocker had an aneurysm on the play.

IMO EDGE players are profiled similar to QBs. There is this expectation that they “look” the part. Weaver is one of those guys that has an awkward, chubby frame that makes him look kind of out of shape. There is this notion that because he isn’t built like a pass rushing god (like Chase Young for example) he does not have a high upside due to his “athletic limits”. Outside of Tua, Weaver was my favorite pick; he wasn’t a guy that should have been on the table in the 5th round.

CBS

Curtis Weaver EDGE, BOISE
Height: 6-2, Weight: 265
Weaver can beat offensive tackles in a variety of ways. Pass-rushing moves. Bend to the quarterback. Some speed to power. Good, not great burst. Bend and flattening ability is outstanding. Ridiculous value at a premium position. (Chris Trapasso)
A+
Pardon my ignorance but why is this trait important? Why does a DE need to flatten? And what player in the game today shows excellent flattening ability?

The kid was definitely productive in college and can get around the edge
close and terminate QBs. I like that aspect of his game. Beyond that I think
the kid is a sneaky athlete with some surprising quicks and gumby like bend.
Also see a pretty damn refined inside spin move so the kid has more than
one trick in his toolbox.

I agree with others the kid needs to amp his cardio and get acclimated to the
intense SFL heat index. As with so many kids coming into the PROs it really
depends on how much he wants it -- and if he's willing to put in the work.
But he's definitely got some chops to work with and could be ??? an R5
super value package. Hope so...

BNF

Pardon my ignorance but why is this trait important? Why does a DE need to flatten? And what player in the game today shows excellent flattening ability?

Cam Wake was very good at it during his Dolphins prime. A good speed rushed who can flatten of the edge is very difficult for most tackle to block. Von Miller might be the best at it currently, Yannick Ngakoue too.

Last edited:
Cam Wake was very good at it during his Dolphins prime. A good speed rushed who can flatten of the edge is very difficult for most tackle to block. Von Miller might be the best at it currently, Yannick Ngakoue too.
Thank you. What is it with Miami and the 5th round?

See my avatar..

Back
Top Bottom