Intro To Michael Deiter: 3rd Rd | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro To Michael Deiter: 3rd Rd

Well, I wasn't very high on Michael Deiter. Nor his teammate Benzschawel. Nor David Edwards to be quite honest. I felt they've all been overrated for a long time individually, but they all formed a good unit for Wisconsin along with Biadasz - who's easily the best of the bunch in my opinion. But that's not what's important....

There were guys like Connor McGovern available that I had graded higher than Deiter, but Miami obviously liked the experience, ruggedness, dependability, and versatility of a kid like Deiter. I knew versatility would be an important factor for Miami in terms of what they were looking for with IOL and talked about it several times in the draft forum.

Personally, I thought Deiter looked best at C for Wisconsin. He can afford to be more patient there and utilize what he does best. Let guys come to him. However, he's just not a very good athlete and struggles to move laterally - evidenced by his 7.88 3-cone. It's what causes him to play unbalanced and forced to always have to compensate with his upper body for what his lower body struggles to do at other positions like guard or tackle.

Deiter has trouble locking on at the second level because of the athletic limitations. He can't be patient in these situations because he lacks the flexibility and feet to put himself in good positions with his lower body. So he feels hurried and like he must work too hard to get to his landmark in these situations, causing him to be unbalanced and inaccurate hitting moving targets.

He'll get a chance to start for Miami as a rookie, simply because they don't have options - but they'll need to be tactful with the type of things they ask him to do.

Back
Top Bottom