Intro to Robert Hunt OG: RD 2 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro to Robert Hunt OG: RD 2

How is that not a good indicatior? What is better? I would like to see it. So would you rather have Taylor and Lewis/Hunt or Brieda and Hunt because that is what we could have had and what we got. I take Taylor and either lineman ALL day long. But that is me and probably why this organization is what they are.
Its not a good indicator because if it were an indicator, then every round of every draft would just be runs on positions.

One more thing. Great teams usually don’t have as many holes so if players don’t stick or perform as well then that is a factor. We are in constant upheaval and create more holes, therefore in a constant “rebuild” mode. With better drafts maybe one day we could be the team that is “a player away“ for a change.

Yes, exactly.

Each team has a different set of circumstances from need to player development to meshing with current roster/staff. That's my point, Hunt in Cincinnati may suck, while Hunt in Miami may turn out to be all pro...that's why worrying about slotting is pointless.

You may dislike Player X (which is fair and fine as long as it is backed up with tape/stats), but unless it was a player taken 2-3 rounds sooner than where they likely would have gone, then worrying about slotting is just tilting at windmills.

Two comments.
Already mentioned 'success' in a draft. MF was a 'success' because of a few games in PIT. Will that continue? remains to be seen. Wilkins? Well, he's not All-Pro, thus, he was a bad pick. P-dub had success just as MF did, but he's hurt. Flo should have known that. Far too much opinion and hindsight goes into evaluating success.

Second is your comment "as long as it is backed up with tape/stats." I disagree, again, because of opinion. Consider current draft picks - Hunt, Jackson, davis, all of them. Both sides use the same tape and stats to 'prove' their point. Slow feet, fast feet. Good size v. 40 time. Good stats, but look at competition, Sometimes it sems people like or dislike a pick and, not surprisingly, the tape/stats they see 'prove' they're right.

But this thread is on Hunt. From the little I've seen I think he can be a success at OG. A little less certain at OT, but not enough evidence to say he WON'T be. IMHO, Oline is the group where technique is critical, more-so than any other group. A lot of the success failure there is on coaches.

Its not a good indicator because if it were an indicator, then every round of every draft would just be runs on positions.

Like the 2nd round run on RB’s? An area of need. You remember we brought in every top tier back for interviews. I think you would agree that is a good indicator of need. That and the best RB we had is a journey man with no explosion. But at no time did we use capital to move up. Hard for me to believe they spent all that time and energy to think a #56 pick was going to get one of these guys.
My draft mantra is BPA and VBD. But when you see a run at position of need you may want to pull some of those 14 picks out of your ass and use them. Pretty simple logic really. I could have had Dobbins with 56 and a ham sandwich. I take that over Brieda and yes I think we can still get Davis later.

Two comments.
Already mentioned 'success' in a draft. MF was a 'success' because of a few games in PIT. Will that continue? remains to be seen. Wilkins? Well, he's not All-Pro, thus, he was a bad pick. P-dub had success just as MF did, but he's hurt. Flo should have known that. Far too much opinion and hindsight goes into evaluating success.

Second is your comment "as long as it is backed up with tape/stats." I disagree, again, because of opinion. Consider current draft picks - Hunt, Jackson, davis, all of them. Both sides use the same tape and stats to 'prove' their point. Slow feet, fast feet. Good size v. 40 time. Good stats, but look at competition, Sometimes it sems people like or dislike a pick and, not surprisingly, the tape/stats they see 'prove' they're right.

But this thread is on Hunt. From the little I've seen I think he can be a success at OG. A little less certain at OT, but not enough evidence to say he WON'T be. IMHO, Oline is the group where technique is critical, more-so than any other group. A lot of the success failure there is on coaches.

I will give you the one and only stat that matters. Wins and losses. I feel pretty good about principles but doesn’t matter what we think. Will Fitzpatrick continue on his path? Will Wilkins? History tells us that Pittsburgh has a pretty good record on development and winning and we don’t. As of now that is all we have.
Hey Flores showed me something last yr but what Tomlin did? Amazing, no QB, lost Brown, 2nd and 3rd string RB’s I mean no offense. We should have gotten a top 10 pick from them.

Hunt, Kindley and Jackson.......wooooooo! Here comes the O-line competition!

I just hate how we won’t have more time for them to come together In camp before the season. Next season will be a better indication long term I think. Just get it gelled before our boy gets out there.

I do like the prospect and if he sticks at RT and can keep Tua upright and injury free? Then nothing else matters.

I guess where your analysis of thr Hunt pick is different than what the Dolphins are thinking is, you only see him as an interior guy. Yes he could plug and play as a great guard. But the Dolphins see him as a RT and can protect Tua's blindside. It's possible and likely he was the only guy left on the board they were comfortable with at that position. That makes him a steal at that selection. Waiting til 56 then becomes way too risky. He seems like a guy that is coachable. And he has all the tools to be coached up as great RT. Worse case scenario, you still have a pro bowl caliber RG. And I think he will actually become the starting RT for years to come as his run blocking will allow him to grow into a solid pass protector as he develops. He isn't exactly horrible at pass pro now. So, upside is where the value is with that pick. Best interior OL pick Miami has made since Pouncey. Of course that isn't saying much with the garbage in the past.

Yes you’re right. If he works out at RT then my view of the slot/position value does increase. The projection is difficult for me bc you couldn’t see him against or next to higher competition at the Senior Bowl or Combine. Casual fans like me don’t have access to what teams do....or time. On tape I see a really good nasty guard with good movement skills but not great....and some trouble with bending/balance. Not a knock on him at all bc Scherff and Martin were the same coming in and drafted much higher....you can even put Flowers in that category. The upside is there with this kid.

I love the Tua pick and want to build an offense around him like KC with as many good OL and high level toys as I can.

Last edited:
We finally seemed to address the OL. Do I love every pick? Not right now, for all the obvious reasons. The upside seems to be there for 2 of the three with Kindley being more of a run blocking developmental player with questionable feet. Hunt could be a real diamond in a couple of years, or he could be just ordinary and gone by the time this team is ready to make a run. A full training camp would be nice to have for all the young guy's.

Worrying about the slot a player was chosen in doesn't make sense.

1. There is no definitive board that all teams use. They create their own board and it is often different from other teams and dramatically different from the ones pundits make.

2. No one in history is close to even a 50% success rate in gauging the success of draft picks.

3. Each team has a different process when making a pick. Some have a collaborative approach, some don't. Some picks are made because a position coach is pounding the table for the guy. Some picks are based on need or bpa or if there's a run on the position leading up to your pick....

4. Teams are actively misleading each other on which player is going to be picked. Imagine playing poker, but it is only one hand, it is against 31 of the other best players in the world, you're not in the same room so you cannot see any tells and everyone has had a year to prep.

Worrying about draft slot doesn’t make sense? So you would have been ok with drafting Kindley at 30 and the long snapper in the 4th?

This is a very nasty O-linemen.

They interviewed him, and a reporter asked him about how on many of his blocks, he likes to explode on the defensive player, and throw them to the ground. His answer was while smiling, that it's fun to dominate and pound them to the ground.

It send chills that this dude is not playing around, and if I was a defensive linemen, I would be asking " You want me to go against this psycho?"

Richie Incognito may be a pacifist compared to this dude. Lol

Back
Top Bottom