Invitees versus signees | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Invitees versus signees

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
How would the fans get information regarding invited players versus signed players? I have noticed Cleveland invited Colon (OT Florida) and Tampa invited Jared Allen (QB FAU). Cleveland invited a number of players. I know Miami invited Parker (rb, FAU) and Bynes (wr, FAU). Curious minds would like to know who got invited?

Lee2000

I don't know for certain, but you might go to the official website and look under "Press Box", and then under that, "Breaking News", and then look at the list of items from late February up to the draft. There may be something like "recuits visit" or "top twenty visit" or "Pro day" listed there.

Where is the official list of signees?

Here's what I got so far...

QB BROCK BERLIN 6-0/213 MIAMI
RB KAY JAY HARRIS 6-0/229 WEST VIRGINIA
RB DOUG PARKER 5-10/222 FLORIDA ATLANTIC
WR JOSH DAVIS 6-0/191 MARSHALL
WR TONY MADISON 6-1/204 KANSAS STATE
WR LUTHER HUGGINS 5-9/190 CENTRAL FLORIDA
WR ROOSEVELT BYNES 6-0/193 FLORIDA ATLANTIC
TE ALEX HOLMES 6-2/265 SOUTHERN CAL
TE VICTOR SESAY 6-5/279 MISSOURI
TE JOE MUNSON 6-3/235 TROY STATE
DE CHRIS SOLOMONA 6-4/285 OREGON
DE GEORGE LEWIS 6-3/280 IOWA
DE JOHN DENNEY 6-5/275 BRIGHAM YOUNG
DE VAN BROWN 6-5/265 N.E. OKLAHOMA
DT MATT ***A 6-3/325 HAWAII
DT ORRIN THOMPSON 6-5/315 DUKE
LB DEREK CURRY 6-1/236 NOTRE DAME
LB LIONEL TURNER 6-2/258 LOUISIANA STATE
CB SHIRDONYA MITCHELL 5-11/190 MISSOURI
S MITCH MEEUWSEN 6-2/205 OREGON STATE

Now there's twenty names. Sixteen are listed on the Dolphins official NFL site as signees. I guess the other four are invitees. I have no idea what the difference is, but the other four are the two FAU kids, RB Doug Parker and WR Roosevelt Bynes plus DT Matt ***a of Hawaii and DE George Lewis of Iowa. I don't know if they're just no shows or if they actually haven't signed an FA contract or what. But we're looking at a ceiling of twenty total players where sixteen are officially signed.

And yes, I know that I really didn't answer the question at all! :D

[QUOTE='Phins & 'Canes]Here's what I got so far...

QB BROCK BERLIN 6-0/213 MIAMI
RB KAY JAY HARRIS 6-0/229 WEST VIRGINIA
RB DOUG PARKER 5-10/222 FLORIDA ATLANTIC
WR JOSH DAVIS 6-0/191 MARSHALL
WR TONY MADISON 6-1/204 KANSAS STATE
WR LUTHER HUGGINS 5-9/190 CENTRAL FLORIDA
WR ROOSEVELT BYNES 6-0/193 FLORIDA ATLANTIC
TE ALEX HOLMES 6-2/265 SOUTHERN CAL
TE VICTOR SESAY 6-5/279 MISSOURI
TE JOE MUNSON 6-3/235 TROY STATE
DE CHRIS SOLOMONA 6-4/285 OREGON
DE GEORGE LEWIS 6-3/280 IOWA
DE JOHN DENNEY 6-5/275 BRIGHAM YOUNG
DE VAN BROWN 6-5/265 N.E. OKLAHOMA
DT MATT ***A 6-3/325 HAWAII
DT ORRIN THOMPSON 6-5/315 DUKE
LB DEREK CURRY 6-1/236 NOTRE DAME
LB LIONEL TURNER 6-2/258 LOUISIANA STATE
CB SHIRDONYA MITCHELL 5-11/190 MISSOURI
S MITCH MEEUWSEN 6-2/205 OREGON STATE

Now there's twenty names. Sixteen are listed on the Dolphins official NFL site as signees. I guess the other four are invitees. I have no idea what the difference is, but the other four are the two FAU kids, RB Doug Parker and WR Roosevelt Bynes plus DT Matt ***a of Hawaii and DE George Lewis of Iowa. I don't know if they're just no shows or if they actually haven't signed an FA contract or what. But we're looking at a ceiling of twenty total players where sixteen are officially signed.

And yes, I know that I really didn't answer the question at all! :D[/QUOTE]

The AP article in the Miami Herald this afternoon says that camp has 6 draftees, 16 rookie free agents, and 29, yes 29, invitees who will be trying for a contract. I too have ***a, Lewis, Parker, and Bynes but does anyone out there know any other names and when they might be offered contracts???? Monday after this mini-camp maybe????

A large number of the 29 have been in camps before

However, here are the rookie free agents from this group:
George Lewis, LB, Iowa
Bryce Bishop, OG Ohio St.
John Drake, OG, USC
Bobby Meeks, OG, FSU
Matt ***a, DT Hawaii
Chad Lucas, WR Alabama St.
Abram Elam S, Kent State
Matt Verbit, QB Princeton
Doug Parker, RB FAU
Roosevelt Bynes, WR FAU
Atari Bigby, S Central Florida
Virgil Williams, S Washington St.

These are the rookie free agents invited. I am hoping some of the OL and dbs will be signed to contracts. Meeks and Elam have a history of problems with the law. But both are talented. Elam is a transfer from Notre Dame. He was charged with sexual battery (a felony).
Chad Lucas has size and speed. Atari Bigby was frequently inquired about on this board. Apparently he is a hitter. All of you appear to be aware of ***a and Lewis. Don't know much about Williams and Verbit. Bishop and Drake are intriguing pick ups. Add Meeks and you have three large guards with power. Intriguing.

Lee2000
p.s., Of the invited, I would sign Bishop, Meeks, Bigby, Elam, Lewis, ***a, Lucas, and Drake. The others I am not sure about.

Lee2000

John Drake is a big ole boy!!

clear.gif

Here is the list of "invitees" according to Dolphin Digest. Given the fact Saban cut a couple of interior linemen this week perhaps one of the guards might make it. Who knows about the others.

FS Abram Elam, Kent State

RB Doug Parker, FAU

QB Matt Verbit, Princeton

WR Roosevelt Bynes, FAU

WR Kevin Beard, Miami (Fla.)

CB Ray Green, South Carolina

CB Roderick Bryant, Idaho

P Eddie Johnson, Idaho State

RB Dwone Hicks, Middle Tennessee

FB Ed Stansbury, UCLA

S Atari Bigby, Central Florida

S Virgil Williams, Washington State

RB Chris Douglas, Duke

LB Brenden Givan, Stillman

LB George Lewis, Iowa

LB Courtland Bullard, Ohio State

LB Maurice Jones, South Florida

C Mike Houghton, San Diego State

T Garry Johnson, Arkansas State

G Bryce Bishop, Ohio State

G John Drake, USC

G Bobby Meeks, Florida State

DT Matt ***a, Hawaii

WR Michael Marker, Millikin

WR Chad Lucas, Alabama State

WR LaTarence Dunbar, TCU

TE Kevin Ware, Washington

DT Thomas Pittman, Florida State

DE Bryce Wyatt, LSU

WelcomeBack said:
I like Drake, being from L.A. got to see him play some. Do you think he has a legit chance KB?

He's got a lot of people in front of him. Considering that Coach Tom Davis coached him at USC, he may have a shot at getting a training camp contract. He could be a practice squad guy.

Hey KB, is C Mike Houghton any good? I hope that we will sign him because we need a C.

Of this list

Of this list, I expect three to five to be signed perhaps. Atari Bigby and Elam have a shot at safety. One of the three big rookie guards has a shot (Bishop, Drake and Meeks), George Lewis has a shot, Matt ***a has a shot, and lastly, the WR from Alabama St., Chad Lucas, who toasted another player for a TD which was highlighted in a report, has a shot. If you pinned me down here is my list of players to earn a contract:

Bigby S Central Florida
Drake OG USC
Chad Lucas, WR Alabama St.
George Lewis, LB Iowa

That is my prediction. Most of the guys that are not rookies will not be signed. Maurice Jones, Eddie Johnson, Dwone Hicks, Ray Beard, and LaTarence Dunbar have the best shot in my opinion.

Lee2000

Houghton spent 2002 and 2003 with Buffalo and 2004 with Carolina. He's a versatile guy who can play any of the five OL positions. With the people in front of him, he doesn't stand much of a chance, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom