IP address suggestion | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IP address suggestion

Phinfanatic84

Upstate Phinfanatic
Reaction score
Could you guys put the members IP address under their sign in name so people know who's really who? I know you guys probably block/ban users by their IP address if they get kicked off the board. Just a suggestion. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you want people's IP's public?

Phinfanatic84 said:
Could you guys put the members IP address under their sign in name so people know who's really who? I know you guys probably block/ban users by their IP address if they get kicked off the board. Just a suggestion. Thanks for your time.
Hacker :eek: :fire: :yell:

You can't really do anything with somebody's IP address, it's simply for people to see who's who and instead of having one guy posting under a punch of different names supporting his original post.

It's just a number assigned to a PC by your internet provider. Unless you work in an office that has one huge network, you're IP address will always be the same for your computer.

Most message boards show the IP address and that's what the Webmaster/Adminstrator uses to block people from posting in the future.

M359 said:
Hacker :eek: :fire: :yell:

lol... I'm not computer savvy to be a hacker. Besides, I think they have software that searches every IP address registered (I used to get warnings from my McAfee Anti-virus software that some IP address in Oregon was trying to access my computer so I would always report it but it ended being an advertising company that was trying to run a scan on my harddrive).

Phinfanatic84 said:
It's simply for people to see who's who and instead of having one guy posting under a punch of different names supporting his original post.

We as members have no need for it.. The mods/admins are the ones who should worry about users signing up with various usernames under the same IP.

Phinfanatic84 said:
You can't really do anything with somebody's IP address, it's simply for people to see who's who and instead of having one guy posting under a punch of different names supporting his original post.

It's just a number assigned to a PC by your internet provider. Unless you work in an office that has one huge network, you're IP address will always be the same for your computer.

Most message boards show the IP address and that's what the Webmaster/Adminstrator uses to block people from posting in the future.

If a hacker knows some one ip they can hack their pc...im sorry but this is the stupidest idea i ever heard on FinHeaven or any other web site...

Phinfanatic84 said:

lol... I'm not computer savvy to be a hacker.

There's no need for us to see other members IP addresses. The admins are the only ones who need them. But yes you can do some serious stuff with someone's IP if you really knew how to. Just because you don't know how doesn't mean others here don't.

We won't ever publish IP addresses. It's a huge security risk, thus is why many Privacy Policies explain what we do with your IP address.

Also, just to clarify... AOL users get a different IP every time they logon to AOL. Most AOLers here share the same IP address with hundreds of other users.

Any message board that publicly displays the IP address just doesn't know what they're doing....

FinHeavenAJ said:
We won't ever publish IP addresses. It's a huge security risk, thus is why many Privacy Policies explain what we do with your IP address.

Also, just to clarify... AOL users get a different IP every time they logon to AOL. Most AOLers here share the same IP address with hundreds of other users.

Any message board that publicly displays the IP address just doesn't know what they're doing....

Thanks for the response. I didn't know it was such a security risk but that's cool, obviously I'm not that computer savvy. All of Network54 run website's show the IP address' on the message board. I'll email the commissioner of my flag football league (www.cdffl.com) and make him aware of the possible risks.

I was just simply trying to help Ohall out since he thinks every poster who disagrees with him is the same person under multiple sn's.

Back
Top Bottom