Is 10-7 A Successful Season for 2021? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is 10-7 A Successful Season for 2021?

I get that. My concern is the magic number. For an extreme example, if X, BJones, TT, and the R1 rookie W suffer injuries and the OCs prove to be abysmal, but the team still wins 10, I'd consider that success. If two losses are by last second FGs to teams with 11+ wins, but Miami only wins 10, that, IMO, is success. I guess the difference is I can see 'success' as something other than a specific win total. Given that, we'll just respectfully disagree.
no you make good points. I'm just going by not thinking that everything that can go wrong will go wrong. I'm talking about in a normal season without having your top 5 players get hurt, 10 wins would be a let down.

I think we looking at 10 games again if Tua show up play...

no you make good points. I'm just going by not thinking that everything that can go wrong will go wrong. I'm talking about in a normal season without having your top 5 players get hurt, 10 wins would be a let down.

I think we're mostly in agreement. My initial reaction is to those predicting 8 wins or less. For those, I would think 10 wins would be a success. I agree most things won't go wrong, and I agree 11 wins is doable. I think I read Miami's 17th game is NYG. That should help.

they are due for regression. the only thing that will counter that will be tua's performance. if he makes a leap physically i think that will make a big difference. he will have more confidence and will start playing looser. if its the same tua physically, i'd say we will be a middling team in the 8-9, 9-8 range. some up some down.
Exactly why are they due for regression? They haven’t made the playoffs yet and they supposedly are building a team that will be successful for years to come. I think the past 2 decades has affected the mentality of many Dolphin fans. They accept getting close to the playoffs as being successful and then they predict the team will take a step backwards instead of forward.

My view is if the 2021 team does regress in 2021, it will be time to get rid of Grier and possibly Flores. Because that will mean they aren’t using their draft picks and free agent money effectively and they are the individuals who were hired to turn this team into a playoff team.

Ross didn’t agree to completely rebuild the team and then watch it regress from a 10 games winner in 2020 to a team that wins less games in 2021. To me they need to make the playoffs this coming season or else they need to hire a GM who knows how to select better talent in the draft. Grier has shown he is great when it comes to trading draft picks but he still has to prove he can select quality talent with those picks.

Grier and Flores weren’t under a lot of pressure in their first two years together because it was accepted that they were rebuilding the team. In year three, they should no longer get the benefit of the doubt and Ross should be demanding that they deliver a playoff team this coming season. 8-9 or 9-8 just shouldn’t be acceptable.

11 wins and a playoff victory is needed to for this season to be considered successful.

I’m judging this season on two things unrelated to W/L for the most part
1) Tua. Do we find out he is without question our guy ?
2) development of the early drafted OL last year (Jackson , hunt , kindley). Are they legit building blocks ? Are two of them good to great ?

more big picture to me. If Tua and the young O Line look good , we have a le outstanding foundation for the next 5-7 years
If not , we blew a lot of capital

seems premature to make such a statement without any facts
The Dolphins last APPEARED in a Super Bowl over 35 years ago. You can't appear in the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. Think about it: 35 YEARS. Those are the only facts that matter. Ownership has taken the most successful franchise in sports history and turned it into the functional equivalent of the New York Jets.

Honestly I think it makes it easier. IMHO, 10-7 is a successful season. It's squarely in the Wildcard hunt. But, I'd say we need 10 wins this year or there will be grumbling in Miami. We've sacrificed and invested a LOT to get this rebuild going. Remember, Don Shula was let go when he was having 9 and 10 win seasons ... so expectations run high in Miami.

If Tua looks like the real deal this year, I can handle a few breaks not going our way and still consider a non-playoff season acceptable.

If he looks similar to last year, it won't excite me much if our defense carries us into the playoffs.

We not only used a #5 pick on him, but moved out of position to draft a top QB. Our future for the next decade is kind of riding on him. His progress will play a huge factor into how I evaluate this season.

I want to make playoffs. I want to see big improvement from Tua. I feel like the last two times we had winning seasons 2008 and 2016 we could never follow it up. I am weary of that happening again. wow including last year only 3 winning seasons in that amount of time. ugh. I don't know how some posters stay so positive. No wonder I was miserable the last week of the season before the buffalo game. I knew disappoitment was ahead. lol

Exactly why are they due for regression? They haven’t made the playoffs yet and they supposedly are building a team that will be successful for years to come. I think the past 2 decades has affected the mentality of many Dolphin fans. They accept getting close to the playoffs as being successful and then they predict the team will take a step backwards instead of forward.

My view is if the 2021 team does regress in 2021, it will be time to get rid of Grier and possibly Flores. Because that will mean they aren’t using their draft picks and free agent money effectively and they are the individuals who were hired to turn this team into a playoff team.

Ross didn’t agree to completely rebuild the team and then watch it regress from a 10 games winner in 2020 to a team that wins less games in 2021. To me they need to make the playoffs this coming season or else they need to hire a GM who knows how to select better talent in the draft. Grier has shown he is great when it comes to trading draft picks but he still has to prove he can select quality talent with those picks.

Grier and Flores weren’t under a lot of pressure in their first two years together because it was accepted that they were rebuilding the team. In year three, they should no longer get the benefit of the doubt and Ross should be demanding that they deliver a playoff team this coming season. 8-9 or 9-8 just shouldn’t be acceptable.

the metrics support it. their expected wins going into the season was around 6.5 i believe. so they vastly outperformed expectations by playing a weak schedule, scoring more than normal on defense / special teams, and generally were pretty healthy. can't bank on those things to continue. typically teams that outperform expected wins by that much regress back to the mean the following year.

We really need to be competitive. This is year 3, this was always marked as the year that we would start being a force again when we started this rebuild. That means we need a good draft, we need Tua to make the leap, we need to ensure we have set him up for success and we need the D to build on last year. No excuses now, it's time to be relevant again.

We really need to be competitive. This is year 3, this was always marked as the year that we would start being a force again when we started this rebuild. That means we need a good draft, we need Tua to make the leap, we need to ensure we have set him up for success and we need the D to build on last year. No excuses now, it's time to be relevant again.

We weren't competitive last season?

Back
Top Bottom