Is Ahmed the answer at RB? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ahmed the answer at RB?

We won’t be drafting either of those 2 with our 4 top 58 selections.
Why not? I fully expect Grier to target all Bama with the first 4 picks, something like:
1. Waddle
2. Ladderwood
3. Nejee
4. Barmore

Ironic - I read he was Myles Gaskins back up at Washington Huskies

I like Salvon a lot more than Gaskins in Miami

Comes down to pure speed imo. Gaskin is a better all-around back, but Miami creates quick creases with RPO looks (even when they're designed handoffs/not actually RPO's). If the line was better at run blocking they'd be bigger and more consistent creates, but speed through the hole is the main thing you need from a back with this scheme. Get there before it closes, and you have 4-7 yards. At that point, the ability to make people miss becomes more important - turns solid plays into bigger plays. That's where a guy like Hubbard makes a lot of sense to me. Reminds me a little of a bigger, younger Phillip Lindsay. Maybe there in the 3rd, but you can at least wait to 2b to get him. Incredible burst. Not the biggest, but he'll make people miss and break tackles, and he's lightning through the hole - a more than good enough approximation of Etienne.

this is how good Miamis RBs are...

2020 - Longest rush, 29 yards by Jakeem Grant

Yards - 387, Myles Gaskin (leader, Dalvin Cook 954 yds)

Tds - 4, Jordan Howard (33yds on 28 carries) (leader, Dalvin Cook 12tds)

2019 - Longest rush, 28 yards by Albert Wilson

Yards - 243, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Tds - 4, Ryan Fitzpatrick

i would say its time to get a real running back

this is how good Miamis RBs are...

2020 - Longest rush, 29 yards by Jakeem Grant

Yards - 387, Myles Gaskin (leader, Dalvin Cook 954 yds)

Tds - 4, Jordan Howard (33yds on 28 carries) (leader, Dalvin Cook 12tds)

2019 - Longest rush, 28 yards by Albert Wilson

Yards - 243, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Tds - 4, Ryan Fitzpatrick

i would say its time to get a real running back
and I don't think our run blocking is yet up to speed but we do need a nasty Ricky type of back...man I loved watching him destroy defensive players. Nothing better than a rb that attacks ala RW, Csonka, etc

and I don't think our run blocking is yet up to speed but we do need a nasty Ricky type of back...man I loved watching him destroy defensive players. Nothing better than a rb that attacks ala RW, Csonka, etc
ricky was a great back

You have to wonder why Bama has not adopted that approach, recruiting speedy backs.

I would guess because more WR's bring more DB's, and you can count on a talented, big RB to run through most DB's in college. I think it's different in the NFL. You don't have as obvious advantage there, and it's easier to find production from guys that beat angles and have some wiggle.

Comes down to pure speed imo. Gaskin is a better all-around back, but Miami creates quick creases with RPO looks (even when they're designed handoffs/not actually RPO's). If the line was better at run blocking they'd be bigger and more consistent creates, but speed through the hole is the main thing you need from a back with this scheme. Get there before it closes, and you have 4-7 yards. At that point, the ability to make people miss becomes more important - turns solid plays into bigger plays. That's where a guy like Hubbard makes a lot of sense to me. Reminds me a little of a bigger, younger Phillip Lindsay. Maybe there in the 3rd, but you can at least wait to 2b to get him. Incredible burst. Not the biggest, but he'll make people miss and break tackles, and he's lightning through the hole - a more than good enough approximation of Etienne.
Salvon ran poorly in his official 40s times

No, I don't think so.

I'm not in favor of drafting a RB high these days, but every time I see Travis Etienne I can't help but think he is the answer. That guy is a truly elite RB who can do it all. Not gonna lie, if he's there with our later 1st or 2nd rounder, I gotta seriously consider taking him. That guy is a cornerstone for some team.

Personally, I wasn't convinced by Gaskins and am not convinced by Ahmed, and think the make or break of our running game is the development of our OL, who each possesses the ability to excel in the running game. If we can keep our OL Coach and develop this road-grading talent, there are a lot of RB's who can be successful in Miami. But I'm not gonna lie ... I can't see any being as dominant as Travis Etienne.

The last draft was loaded with good RB's and Miami passed on all of them. Yeah they moved for Brieda after it was obvious they wouldn't get a "top RB" however, this tells me that Miami will wait till the last chance, or pass altogether on "top RB's".
I don't read it that way at all.

I think they had a plan. It was O-line and defense. If a back dropped to the point it was good value (as thier board dictated), they may have gone there, but it wasn't the priority.

The next draft, the priorities will almost certainly be different. I do doubt they take a RB with the rd1 Houston pick, but they probably address the position rd2.

One wonders (with all this talk of creases and burst) whether an Alvin Kamara might be worth looking at next year. Given the historically tight cap windows across the league in 2021 (and the fact cap-strapped New Orleans clearly won't be able to bring him back) one wonders if a reasonable contract might be enticing enough for him to join a legit RPO-style offense piloted by one of the best young QBs in the league.

I get the whole not-drafting-with-top-picks-or-paying-top-money-on-second-contracts thinking for RBs -- and I agree with all of it. But you can't help but notice how healthy and productive Kamara looks this year and then ponder about how good all that speed and burst would look in aqua and orange. I just don't see anyone in the 2021 draft that offers similar talent.

I don't read it that way at all.

I think they had a plan. It was O-line and defense. If a back dropped to the point it was good value (as thier board dictated), they may have gone there, but it wasn't the priority.

The next draft, the priorities will almost certainly be different. I do doubt they take a RB with the rd1 Houston pick, but they probably address the position rd2.
They don't value RB's in the draft highly. They traded for vets that were productive in the NFL

They don't value RB's in the draft highly. They traded for vets that were productive in the NFL
Most teams don't in today's NFL, and for good reasons, IMO.

A great back can put a team over the top if a team is close, but it isn't the focal point of most team's offenses.

Back
Top Bottom