Is anyone concerned about Brown's age? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is anyone concerned about Brown's age?

thepoolboy

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I didn't know this until recently but Ronnie Brown turns 24 this December. At most positions I could care less but I would hope our RB would enter the league a bit younger. Edgerrin James entered the league in the year he turned 21. If we are to spend a top 2 pick on a RB, this is around the age I would expect him to be...no older than 22. This gets back to the concept of long-term value. After six seasons, Brown would be turning 30. How does that fit into the concept of long-term value? Given his age, he would have to be extraordinarily effective from the get go...basically any required learning curve would be unacceptable. If Brown was 21 or 22 and was a bit more elusive, I'd say he may be worth the 2nd pick. But at 23 (turning 24) and lacking elusiveness...I have my doubts.

not really. Morencey is older too, and I think Benson is as well. People forget that Yerimiah Bell is in his mid/late 20's already. It's not like he's 26 (Jason White) or even 29(Chris Weinke)

JTaylor99 said:
Benson is a year younger (12/28/82) and Caddy is a little younger (4/21/82).

so he's 22/23? The average age of rookies is 23 so it's not a big difference.

ChambersWI said:
not really. Morencey is older too, and I think Benson is as well. People forget that Yerimiah Bell is in his mid/late 20's already. It's not like he's 26 (Jason White) or even 29(Chris Weinke)

yeah, but Morency is 25 already I believe.

Robert McCune will be a 26 year old rookie....thats hella old for a rookie, but I believe he spent time in Kuwait or something...

Jason White was born in 1980, so he'll be a 25 year old rookie, he's not 26 yet

ChambersWI said:
so he's 22/23? The average age of rookies is 23 so it's not a big difference.

I know I was just saying their ages and saying that he's not that much older.

thepoolboy said:
I didn't know this until recently but Ronnie Brown turns 24 this December. At most positions I could care less but I would hope our RB would enter the league a bit younger. Edgerrin James entered the league in the year he turned 21. If we are to spend a top 2 pick on a RB, this is around the age I would expect him to be...no older than 22. This gets back to the concept of long-term value. After six seasons, Brown would be turning 30. How does that fit into the concept of long-term value? Given his age, he would have to be extraordinarily effective from the get go...basically any required learning curve would be unacceptable. If Brown was 21 or 22 and was a bit more elusive, I'd say he may be worth the 2nd pick. But at 23 (turning 24) and lacking elusiveness...I have my doubts.
Of course, because every RB has a short (6 year typically) excellence period, and that period may be counting on.
By the other hand we're speeking of a college "backup" RB, which means he still has a lot to bring form his body, and also has the potential skills to be a lethal weapon blocking, catching and running in a vertical scheme.
At same time Ronnie hasn't showed the resistance to be the fulltime starter tailback star any NFL offense may expect from the 2nd overall pick. (I can't figure out Brown working the way Ricky did at 2002-2003).

look at the RB's in this year's draft and there ages (this is all their current ages):
Ronnie Brown - 23
Cedric Benson - 22
Carnell Williams - 22
Ryan Moats - 22
T.A. Mclendon - 22
Marion Barber III - 21
Vernand Morency - 25
Ciatrick Fason - 22
Eric Shelton - 21
J.J. Arrington - 22
Kay-Jay Harris - 26
Frank Gore - 21

as you see Brown is about a year older then most of the prospects but a year doesn't worry me, age isn't even be a factor with Brown

Good observation poolboy, i didnt realize brown was 24. Either way, I'm not that concerned. Here's why: While age is deffinitely a major factor in how long a player's career will last, there are other factors. Even if Brown might be a year or two older than some other players in the draft, he has less wear and tear on his body than other players. If Benson is 22(I'm not sure about his age) then I would certainly rather have the 24-year old Brown, because his body has experienced less wear and tear than Benson. Because of Brown's relative limited action in college, it would be fair to say that his possible older age, combined with his small amount of carries in college, equal out to the regular 22 or 23 year old senior graduating from colege. Not how clear that all was, but basically, because Brown didn't get a lot of carries in college, even though he may be a little old, he will run like a 28 or 29 year old when he's 30, and have more longevity in his career.

nick19991 said:
as you see Brown is about a year older then most of the prospects but a year doesn't worry me, age isn't even be a factor with Brown

of course it isnt in your eyes, because you want us to draft Ronnie :lol:

Back
Top Bottom