is anyone else getting scared (rb position) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

is anyone else getting scared (rb position)

new bob

Practice Squad
Reaction score
i just saw travis minor got signed. and we have gordon. and morris. and the slight, tiny, miniscule chance that ricky returns. think back to linehans system in minnesota. He had the elusive guy (bennett/minor) the power back (moe williams/sammy morris), the tweener who can run you over and can cut across the grain, but not as skilled in both areas as the other two, who likely will start (lamar gordon/onterrio smith), and the question mark (rookie mewelde moore/recurring pothead ricky williams)......
im scared, very scared that we wont go rb at no. 2, or even at all. This is like a poor mans version of linehans rbs last year. he mightve spoken to saban and said "nick, what we have here is basically what i had last year....dont worry about it, either get me a franchise qb like i had in minny, or get me my randy moss prototype......"
we f'n NEED a rb (go brown, wouldnt be angry with benson either) not the crap that we had here.....
With the resigning of minor (WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) the ricky question, and the use of rbs in linehans system last year, are any of you brown/benson/caddy lovers who want an rb taken at two afraid it wont happen now?

I'm not too worried. We can easily cut Minor if we find a better option.

again i'm not bothered. Linehan's offense made some alrite RBs look very good.

Smith and Moore were 4th rnd draft picks.

I hear ya Bob, but I'm seeing alot of posters guessing we're going QB. I personally would feel better with a RB (Benson:D)but that's because I believe AJ can get the job done.

Hey I'm totally up for gettin a good arm and a Moss type guy in here. Last year I would rather watch our defense then our offense. We need some excitement in our offense. Would you rather see us run for 150 yards a game or would u like to see an 80 yard TD catch. Don't forget about CJ and McMichael too. You add Braylon Edwards and a good arm in there and we have excitement. Defense wins games (which we already have) and offense puts fans in the stands. So lets get some damn offense. Even with the best RB in the league we still didn't make the playoffs so let's not worry about friggin running backs.

i dont care if edwards is faster, Mike williams is a bigger playmaker if thats what you are looking for.

lmao, this was mainly to hear from the rb supporters and to hear their fears, and most of the posters so far are braylon/mike williams/smith/rodgers lovers......
im interested in the opinions of those who want an RB at no. 2..........
what do you guys think? are you rb supporters getting as scared as i am that our dream of taking a workhorse star back like ronnie brown or cedric benson might not come true cause of an a**hole o-coordinator?

How can u say that about Linehan? Just look at Minnesota's offense the last 5 or 6 years. He made average backs great! He had a high power passing game. even when Moss was out last year the no name Wideouts became stars. So we need a friggin QB! AJ is not goin to be a Culpepper or neither is Gus so let's get someone who could be. I don't know about ya'll but I miss the Marino days. We never had a great RB when he was the man but everyone is so stuck on having a star RB ever since the friggin pothead. It's disgusting. The patriots didn't need a star runninback to do it! If you look at the last few Super Bowls how big was the RB's in those games! STOP WORRYING ABOUT RB!

new bob said:
lmao, this was mainly to hear from the rb supporters and to hear their fears, and most of the posters so far are braylon/mike williams/smith/rodgers lovers......
im interested in the opinions of those who want an RB at no. 2..........
what do you guys think? are you rb supporters getting as scared as i am that our dream of taking a workhorse star back like ronnie brown or cedric benson might not come true cause of an a**hole o-coordinator?

Not at all worried even though I would love to pick RB at #2 we aren't going to depend on RW's return, so in my honest opinion I think we stock up at RB through the draft not wait for Ficky!!!! We'll weigh everything out and select whoever we feel is BPA RB/WR/QB.... This isn't Wanny running the draft so we're not getting a LB/DB with our #2 pick---we might not get Ronnie but we definately aint gonna risk shyatt!!! We'll take whoever we feel will give the Fins the most value...... Slow your roll,,,,, we aint ----ing it up this year :wink: Trust in the new staffs judgement!!!

The area of the team I am still BY FAR the most concerned about is the offensive line. I honestly believe that the running backs we have would be good enough behind a better line. But that's purely speculation.

I guess at this point, I'll probably be happy with whatever the Dolphins go with at #2, be it a QB, RB, WR, or trading down.

new bob said:
i just saw travis minor got signed. and we have gordon. and morris. and the slight, tiny, miniscule chance that ricky returns. think back to linehans system in minnesota. He had the elusive guy (bennett/minor) the power back (moe williams/sammy morris), the tweener who can run you over and can cut across the grain, but not as skilled in both areas as the other two, who likely will start (lamar gordon/onterrio smith), and the question mark (rookie mewelde moore/recurring pothead ricky williams)......
im scared, very scared that we wont go rb at no. 2, or even at all. This is like a poor mans version of linehans rbs last year. he mightve spoken to saban and said "nick, what we have here is basically what i had last year....dont worry about it, either get me a franchise qb like i had in minny, or get me my randy moss prototype......"
we f'n NEED a rb (go brown, wouldnt be angry with benson either) not the crap that we had here.....
With the resigning of minor (WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) the ricky question, and the use of rbs in linehans system last year, are any of you brown/benson/caddy lovers who want an rb taken at two afraid it wont happen now?

Relax Kid! We signed Minor because he can fill so many roles on Special Teams. Don't forget, Armstrong is still the coach there. He's our backup EVERYTHING! Kick returner, punt returner, flyer, etc... Plus he's got good value and it's a one year deal. That way they don't have to sign a scat back later in the draft, the can concentrate on DT's and such.

Personally, I hope that MY read on SABAN is correct and that we're taking EDWARDS after trading down 2 spaces or so. We JUST don't have the tall, fast reciever needed to stretch defenses in Linehan's system. Chambers, Booker and company are ALL possesion receivers.

QB and RB can be addressed NEXT year once we've answered some questions about what it is EXACTLY that we have on our roster right now. Besides, there should be much better choices next year anyway. But EDWARDS helps us RIGHT NOW.

After the draft we may even make a trade for a RB (depending on where Travis Henry is with Buffalo) so sit tight. I'll be dissapointed if we don't take Edwards because Linehan's system will look a lot like the Vikings when Moss and they're number 2 receiver went out. Lousy.

Frerrotte and Feeley will get us through this year. Gordon, Morris, Minor and whatever rookie we get later in the draft will do us fine this year too. But EDWARDS would give us an EXPLOSIVE OFFENSE.

Imagine Booker and Edwards split wide with Chambers in his natural position, the slot. WHO WOULD STOP THAT? And don't forget McMichael barroling down the middle! With an improved O-Line and better QB play and STEADY RB play we could REALLY upgrade this team.

Think EDWARDS. EDWARDS, EDWARDS, EDWARDS, EDWARDS, EDWARDS!

Go Phins!

:D

recent superbowl champions
2005 - NE - dillon/brady.....both stars...
2004 - NE - tom brady/antowain smith......here it was that brady was an emerging star who knew how to control a game, not make mistakes, and had heart, defense was the key in thhis game along with tom bradys heart......
2003 - TB - brad johnson did enough to win a game and just didnt lose it....and they had a great back in mike alstott (FB but still a great back) and an ok , young back at the time in pittman...
2002 - ne - same as 2004
2001 - trent dilfer......(your gonna tell me this guys a star...:shakeno:) with a power running game of jamal lewis....
2000 - a young kurt warner, who back then did enough to win a game and was basically asked to not lose it, with marshall faulk back there to lead the team, also the wrs and the greatest shopw on turf, etc...

aside from the rams, the key thing linking those teams was the defense first, and then aside for the recent wins by newengland, the teams had a QB who could mage the team, get downfield when he had to, not do anything amazing....just march down the field when he had to, and was asked not to lose the game, and aside from the pats they all had workhorse runningbacks to take some of the load off the qbs shoulders....obviously you dont need a 1st overall or second overall pick to lead you to the super bowl.....you dont need a marino, or a peyton manning, or a big star (although it obviously helps)...al you need is a guy who can get the job done without screwing up, guys like dilfer, or johnson, or young emerging guys who became big later on, like a young brady or warner.....

you guy say the linehan makes average backs look great......they are still average......you need more than 4 average backs to help a team......dont you see that one workhorse star like a ronnie brown or a cedric benson can ease so mouch off the shoulders of an average qb.....it can help him soooo much and help him flourish as well.....i loved the expectations of linehan as our coordinator but i never knew it would mean having to have 3 subpar backs and a pothead in the backfield......drafting rodgers or smith with that mess would only stunt their growth......we have to get brown or benson.....

Back
Top Bottom