Is anyone here vegetarian? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is anyone here vegetarian?

In_Flames

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Well, the wife has decided to go vegetarian, which in turn means that I have decided to go vegetarian as well. I tried it once during my teens but only ended up eating those Morning Star microwave meals which I don't imagine to be too healthy. My question is what would you suggest starting out on, basic recipes, meals, etc. I'm obviously looking at purchasing a few cooking books but was wondering if anyone had some homemade suggestions that they themselves enjoy. My main worry here is getting enough proteins into my diet. Thanks for any suggestions. ;)

I am not per se, but I eat a fair amount of vegetable only meals as I try to control my cholesterol via diet and not statins.

As such I do have some decent recipies that I use, get to like Eggplant, squash and similar as they can be used for meat substitutes. Do you like Tofu or Soy? Let me hunt down the recipies, prolly be late next week that I see my wife and have her find them (she is responsible for that type of crap food and not the good but bad for you recipies like I like to make :D)

I've tried a few items which included tofu and soy that my wife has made recently and it's not bad at all. I've been trying humus as well. I'm hoping that this won't really be a huge shock to my system being that I only ate chicken and fish before, no red meats. Thanks again for checking on those recipes brotha. :up:

Some of this depends on how vegetarian you are going to be? Will fish be in or out? What about eggs? Cheese?

Careful of the fat content and cholesterol from shellfish.

My wife is a vegetarian and I am not, but since I do most of the cooking it works out. She gets lots of stir frys with a few shrimp thrown in at the end.

Well, the wife has decided to go vegetarian, which in turn means that I have decided to go vegetarian as well. I tried it once during my teens but only ended up eating those Morning Star microwave meals which I don't imagine to be too healthy. My question is what would you suggest starting out on, basic recipes, meals, etc. I'm obviously looking at purchasing a few cooking books but was wondering if anyone had some homemade suggestions that they themselves enjoy. My main worry here is getting enough proteins into my diet. Thanks for any suggestions. ;)

My son had a girlfriend who is a vegeterian so he became one too.

The only problem was that he doesnt like vegetables or salads ....a habit he got from his mother.......I love them.

Needless to say it was a short experiment so he decided to change girlfriends instead :lol:

I have to agree with NJ on this. I dont mind vegetables but there better be a dead animal on my plate during every meal.

In Flames, I have been in various stages of vegetarianism over the past 20 years. Right now, I eat shellfish and fish, if my husband catches it, so technically, I am not vegetarian.
I was a vegan for two years, in which I did not do food combinations properly, and I ended up losing too much weight and my skin had an unhealthy pallor. My family convinced me to either give that up, or see a nutritionist for a diet plan. Basically, I was too lazy to do all that work regarding food, so I slowly eased dairy (very little) back into my diet.
My advice is that you approach this carefully. I take the omega 3 fish oil pills, which have been so improved that one does not get a bad taste. Some good things to eat are Boca burgers or the ones I really like are Morningstar Farms black bean burgers. For salads I put the Morningstar farms "crumblers" in, and I actually like them. All of these products are soy based. Unfortunately, I don't like tofu.
I haven't eaten red meat, chicken or pork for over 20 years, and I am quite healthy now. Sometimes in a pinch, I will eat the South Beach bars; I am not on a diet, but they are high in protein, which is always a challenge for vegetarians.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

I am anything but a "veggie" but boy, i do love my wife's home made vegetable soup. Basically we just chop up the veg and then liquidise it. Then she simmers it on a stove and adds a little seasoning. You can use any veg as far as I know. My fave is leek, swede and carrot soup :up:

:hi5: I really appreciate all the responses everyone, I definitely plan on doing some extensive research before jumping right into it.

Back
Top Bottom