Is Bake on the verge of breaking out? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Bake on the verge of breaking out?

It's really interesting watching the progression of the Dolphins defense in general.

In my opinion, there's only one "one trick pony" in the entire LB corps, and that's Elandon Roberts. And even in that, it's a really, really good trick. What I find encouraging is that the versatility of pretty much everyone on D makes it much easier for Flores to disguise what he's doing, scheme-wise.

We all know by now Flo knows defense.
The fact that we didn't draft LB, and sign big name LB FA, tells me Flo is happy with the LB group. And that is good enough for me.
Well, we did trade Lawson for McKinney, a former pro bowler.

I think Bake continues to grow as more specific pieces grow around him. It seemed like he was asked to do things he was not suitable for in the past but now maybe...?

We all know by now Flo knows defense.
The fact that we didn't draft LB, and sign big name LB FA, tells me Flo is happy with the LB group. And that is good enough for me.

I don't think he was very happy with them. Van Noy is gone, Lawson is gone, and Roberts might be pushed out of the rotation. Baker is the only one whose spot seems relatively safe.

While he's not perfect, his acceleration is amazing. When Baker decides to "go," he gets "there" quickly.

Isn't this a contract year for him? This year will be telling. I love the guy but we need him to hit a new level... A next level. If he does, he could be special. He has flashed in the past, he just needs to be more consistent at making impact plays.

I'll watch Baker closely this year. I have not and still am not a big fan of his. We got ran over last year in games and I would need to rewatch if he was in most of those running plays. McKinney should help this out I hope. If I recall he had a lot of chase down tackles but not pounding into the hole tackles. He is no doubt a good coverage LB. Sometimes I feel though that my biases are born in northern Canada where I did not grow up knowing the game through anything stronger than Madden football. Hopefully someone has some film I can watch that gets me more excited about him. He just is not in my top 10 players to be excited about. Please convert me!

I'll watch Baker closely this year. I have not and still am not a big fan of his. We got ran over last year in games and I would need to rewatch if he was in most of those running plays. McKinney should help this out I hope. If I recall he had a lot of chase down tackles but not pounding into the hole tackles. He is no doubt a good coverage LB. Sometimes I feel though that my biases are born in northern Canada where I did not grow up knowing the game through anything stronger than Madden football. Hopefully someone has some film I can watch that gets me more excited about him. He just is not in my top 10 players to be excited about. Please convert me!
I suspect that stopping the run will always be his weakest attribute. He's light for a linebacker, and since he is usually in coverage, that helps him run with backs and slots who flare out to his side... but it doesn't help him in the run game where a 225 lb. LB gets swallowed up by any lineman who gets their hands on him.

He made some nice tackles for a loss this last year, but in those cases, he shot in (untouched mostly) and hit RBs before they could get going.

He'll NEVER be a strongside guy or a guy who will play with his hand down very often, he just doesn't have the heft for that... but we don't ask him to do that either. Guys like Van Ginkle and Phillips have that role of the team.

The first couple of years, I was as probably anti-Baker as anyone on this board. He produced decent coverage and tackle numbers, but the impact plays just didn't happen very often. He didn't create turnovers, he didn't rush the passer very well, and tackles in run support were generally downfield...

Last year was another story altogether, he looked VERY good, taking several steps forward and becoming a plus player and a guy that I'd like to keep. I wouldn't break the bank for him, because I still see him as a support player, rather than a star, but I'd certainly be willing to overpay a little to keep him.

I still worry that with his low weight and lanky frame that he is more of a big safety than a true linebacker and he'll always be limited to the weakside, coverage linebacker spot, but in the modern game, that position is valuable... and it is why guys like Simmons and Owusu-Koramoah are more valuable in some schemes.

Still... keeping him for 10-12M/year might be less painful than spending next year's number one to replace him.

Isn't it conceivable that once a certain body type becomes standardized at a position, a few variations on that body type could give some players an edge that's not accounted for?

He’s a LB that does one thing well and thats because of his speed. But I like him. Not every player you have is going to be a great multi faceted talent. Flo knows how to use him and his strengths. But I’m not opposed if something better came along. But for right now he fits

Isn't it conceivable that once a certain body type becomes standardized at a position, a few variations on that body type could give some players an edge that's not accounted for?
Certainly,,, and he'll make plays because his speed will let him run around bulkier players sometimes... but he won't beat them in a game of strength vs. mass.

Certainly,,, and he'll make plays because his speed will let him run around bulkier players sometimes... but he won't beat them in a game of strength vs. mass.

All that strength and mass won't be much good if a lighter, quicker player evades you while reaching his goal.

"Youth and enthusiasm can always be beaten by old age and treachery" _ LOL

All that strength and mass won't be much good if a lighter, quicker player evades you while reaching his goal.

"Youth and enthusiasm can always be beaten by old age and treachery" _ LOL
So... win one play with speed, get blown up the next one when a guy 100 lbs heavier than you runs right at you.

Back
Top Bottom