Is Bake on the verge of breaking out? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Bake on the verge of breaking out?

Certainly,,, and he'll make plays because his speed will let him run around bulkier players sometimes... but he won't beat them in a game of strength vs. mass.
It's the same with AVG. He isn't going to overpower linemen. That's not his, or Baker's game, and it isn't their role in the scheme anyway.

There are very few, if any, LBs who can "do it all" at a high level. That is old school thinking, and it just doesn't exist in the current game.

It's the same with AVG. He isn't going to overpower linemen. That's not his, or Baker's game, and it isn't their role in the scheme anyway.

There are very few, if any, LBs who can "do it all" at a high level. That is old school thinking, and it just doesn't exist in the current game.
His smaller size does two things... it allows him to win a certain number of reps due to his speedier nature, and we see that in his 7 sacks. But the second thing is that it causes him to be less effective vs. the run... and that's the trade off, and that's okay when the name of your game is pass coverage and blitzing.

In the posts leading up to this, I described him as a coverage linebacker several times; it's what he does.

I hope he don't break out too much. I'd like to not have to break the bank to re-sign him. How about we save the real breakout year until next year? :)

So... win one play with speed, get blown up the next one when a guy 100 lbs heavier than you runs right at you.

In a 50-50 proposition like you just made, the effect is to have only 50% of the offensive plays being effective. That's a good way to lose a game, isn't it?

I hope he don't break out too much. I'd like to not have to break the bank to re-sign him.
That is a quandry.....lol.

I'm "hoping" that guys like him and MG are happy here, and embrace being part of this team, and where it is potentially going, rather than chase a little bigger contract. Florida does offer some tax advantages that most states do not, so there is that. Yes, I know away game checks are still taxed, but signing bonuses, etc are not, so contract structure also matters.

If, on the other hand, another team offers some ridiculous contract, I don't blame a player for taking it, nor do I blame the Dolphins for moving on.

In a 50-50 proposition like you just made, the effect is to have only 50% of the offensive plays being effective. That's a good way to lose a game, isn't it?
Yes. Yes, it is. But it isn't really a 50/50 split. It's more of a 'win most of the passing downs while losing most of the running downs'.

He's a player and one you can rely upon in a sense you don't need to find an upgrade, you need those type of players on the team. Will he ever rise to the level of All-Pro at his position? Probably not.

IMO Baker is already an excellent LB and by the end of this season may end up being considered among the best coverage LBs in the league. And with how important coverage is now, that will mean one of the best LBs, period. He is still very young and I think it's reasonable to expect that his development is still on the upswing. I can easily see his next 4 years being his "prime". I think much of the criticism he got early on was from people who don't factor in player development and/or have very rigid thinking regarding roles and size. I see that as rather simplistic and out-dated thinking.

This season will determine a lot for severaL of our players. Keep in mind that Van Noy and McCain are both gone when some people thought Flores loved them. Nothing is a sure thing when it comes to players. Flo's not married to any of them and they can all be replaced.

This season will determine a lot for severaL of our players. Keep in mind that Van Noy and McCain are both gone when some people thought Flores loved them. Nothing is a sure thing when it comes to players. Flo's not married to any of them and they can all be replaced.
The only difference between the hated BB and Flo, when it comes to team first ruthlessness of cutting or keeping players, is the personna/facade they exude to the public.

I'm not saying that his size doesn't work against him. In those situations where the o line gets to the 2nd level he stands a chance of getting swallowed up. On the flipside he stands a chance of getting to his spot quicker.

That said, our d line is physical enough to occupy their man 1v1. We don't really shoot gaps, we clog lanes (allegedly), so I don't think Baker's size is enough a hindrance to make him a liability.

I suspect that stopping the run will always be his weakest attribute. He's light for a linebacker, and since he is usually in coverage, that helps him run with backs and slots who flare out to his side... but it doesn't help him in the run game where a 225 lb. LB gets swallowed up by any lineman who gets their hands on him.

He made some nice tackles for a loss this last year, but in those cases, he shot in (untouched mostly) and hit RBs before they could get going.

He'll NEVER be a strongside guy or a guy who will play with his hand down very often, he just doesn't have the heft for that... but we don't ask him to do that either. Guys like Van Ginkle and Phillips have that role of the team.
Thank you, I am a Dolphin fan through and through and hate when I don't like a player. I loved the sacks and hope for more and may watch him more with a different lense. As in crap, out coached and caught us with not enough bigs on a draw play. Wonder if Parsons will be a complete LB, but would not give up our first two picks to have one of them be for him.

Back
Top Bottom