Is Brock Osweiler..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Brock Osweiler.....

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
As bad as everyone makes him out to be? Or was he simply a victim of the incompetence that pervades many NFL front offices?

I'm looking at his career compared to Nick Foles and I can't help but see some similarities. Brock was a 2nd round pick that got to sit behind a hall of famer in Denver. Got an opportunity to play due to injury and played well enough in a few games for a dumb NFL GM to sign him to a 72M dollar contract.

He goes to a bad Texans team and because the GM decided to pay him like an accomplished top end QB, he was forced into a situation where he had to be great in order to live up to his contract.

After one year the texans traded him to Cleveland. Nobody succeeds in Cleveland.

So the question I have is..... Is he REALLY that bad Or if put in the right situation with the right system and right coaching could he develop into a pretty good NFL QB similar to Foles? Who to was an early victim to the front office incompetence and was traded to several teams until he got to a team with good coaches and good talent around him?

Overall, he did not play well in Denver. He was on a team with an incredible D (really, really REALLY good D) and strong running game that won games. Manning was shot too. If Osweiler has to see the field for any length of time, we're done unless our D and run blocking has improved tremendously.

As bad as everyone makes him out to be? Or was he simply a victim of the incompetence that pervades many NFL front offices?

I'm looking at his career compared to Nick Foles and I can't help but see some similarities. Brock was a 2nd round pick that got to sit behind a hall of famer in Denver. Got an opportunity to play due to injury and played well enough in a few games for a dumb NFL GM to sign him to a 72M dollar contract.

He goes to a bad Texans team and because the GM decided to pay him like an accomplished top end QB, he was forced into a situation where he had to be great in order to live up to his contract.

After one year the texans traded him to Cleveland. Nobody succeeds in Cleveland.

So the question I have is..... Is he REALLY that bad Or if put in the right situation with the right system and right coaching could he develop into a pretty good NFL QB similar to Foles? Who to was an early victim to the front office incompetence and was traded to several teams until he got to a team with good coaches and good talent around him?

He sucks. The Texans were not bad when he was there, as they went to the playoffs in spite of him. Couldn’t make a bad Browns team, not could he stand out in a horrible Broncos QB room. He had more pieces in Houston and Denver than he had in Miami.

He is nothing like Foles. Nick had a pro-bowl season. Nick Foles has a 2 to 1 TD to Int rate. Nick Foles has a 87 QB rating while Brock has a 76, and only 5 tds more than ints.

Have you ever watched "him" in a game? TERRIBLE. Just God aweful. Can't complete anything to the outside, nothing over 7 yards, reads, reads....feeds tight end for a 3 yard gain or just throws a shitty pass somewhere. Deandre Hopkins was quaterback proof, not with Brock. Tells you all you need to know.

Haven’t watched enough of him but I’m sure he’s better than Matt the trash man Moore

Better for our offense and I'm talking scheme then Moore. Not a better QB but a better fit. That said osweiler sucks

His numbers aren’t much different from Matt Moore’s. I’ve never watched him play so I’m of the opinion he could be the victim of the media, you know, like tannehill. I know he isn’t great but until I see how bad he is it’s hard for me to look at his not great numbers and say he’s just terrible.

I have my doubts. He came into the league the same year Tannehill did and sat until half way through his 4th year. He was then below average and maybe flashed for a game or so. 10 TD & 6 int over almost 8 games in 2015 under Gase. It's not like he didn't have good WR's around him but the O-line was probably suspect. He was definitely signed for way too much money in Houston which was a stupid move. It was rumored to be done without much say from the head coach and it was rumored that the coach never even met the guy before the signing.

Bill O'brien seems to be a pretty good coach and is a former (and current) OC. He modified his system to fit DeShaun Watson but I'm not sure he did the same thing for Osweiler. He never even wanted Osweiler so who knows how the relationship actually functioned.

It's worth a flyer if Gase likes him but it won't be the first (former Gase protege) to not work out in Miami.

Interesting opinions. I haven't watched him play much so I'm going to hold my judgement until I see him for myself up close. But he was good enough to make an NFL front office believe he was worth giving 72 Million dollars. I think of the Ted Ginn situation. While he wasn't worth the #9 overall pick, he still became a very productive WR in the NFL. Not his fault the front office drafted him that high which put unrealistic expectations on him.

Ok I will officially put in writing. I've stated in other threads that I think Osweiler and Petty will be ok back ups. The reason for my optimism is I expect Miami's offense to have a lot of elements of the Eagles offense. The running game with Gore, Drake and Ballage, a short quick passing game with receivers that get open on short routes, WIlson and Amendola and a fair share of RPO's in the game plan where the qb doesn't have to read coverage as much, eliminating some of Osweiler's and Petty's weaknesses. The offense the Eagles used in the playoffs gave the Patriots nightmares and the Dolphins took notice. You will see Osweiler make a quick post snap read and either give it to the back or pull the ball and either hit the slant or one or two other routes. He won't need a rocket scientist degree. The RPO won't be all of Miami's offense but I expect to see it in the game plan a fair amount. Osweiler can run that type of offense and Petty excelled in a similar scheme at Baylor. A lot of quick hitch passes, slants, curls and a deep shot now and then to keep you honest.

Last edited:
I have my doubts. He came into the league the same year Tannehill did and sat until half way through his 4th year. He was then below average and maybe flashed for a game or so. 10 TD & 6 int over almost 8 games in 2015 under Gase. It's not like he didn't have good WR's around him but the O-line was probably suspect. He was definitely signed for way too much money in Houston which was a stupid move. It was rumored to be done without much say from the head coach and it was rumored that the coach never even met the guy before the signing.

Bill O'brien seems to be a pretty good coach and is a former (and current) OC. He modified his system to fit DeShaun Watson but I'm not sure he did the same thing for Osweiler. He never even wanted Osweiler so who knows how the relationship actually functioned.

It's worth a flyer if Gase likes him but it won't be the first (former Gase protege) to not work out in Miami.
Gase was in Chicago in 2015

Back
Top Bottom