Is Bua being wasted? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Bua being wasted?

South Florida

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was very excited about the prospect of putting some pounds on Tony Bua and letting him learn the linebacker position.

I'm not excited about him at the safety position.

He's a fast linebacker and a slow safety, so it doesn't make sense to me.

I really don't think he'll ever crack into the game at this position and he'll just live on Special Teams for his career.

Should I just trust Nick?

Is he faster than I think?

What's the logic here?

Only time will time...Bua's defintely a hitter..but times a changing and I don't know if Coach "I want to move everybody out so I can the glory" Saban will keep him, since his height is not idea for Saban.

I personally don't see Tony Bua ever being a starter at LB or S (unless by default through injuries which is definitely something we wouldn't want to happen.) The best part of his game is he can tackle and he can hit HARD! I think he's a tremendous special teams player that I hope remains on the team for quite awhile because his presence on Special Teams is where he shines and where we need him the most. Testing him out at 2nd string/3rd string SS seems like a wild idea but Saban is extremely intelligent when it comes to switching players to a different position. It's like a sixth sense he has, so I trust his decision in what he saw in Bua to decide to move him to S. I honestly don't see Bua seeing the field much this season at all, just on special teams where he will DOMINATE... and hopefully continue making the key highlight plays.

I don't think Bua is being wasted for the fact that there are more talented players them him at both the LB and Saftey positions. Bua I see developing into the next Izzo and becoming a Special Teams Ace.

He just does not seem to have the measureables to be a starter on a Saban team. Saban played against him a bit in college, so I expect he is somewhat familiar with him.

He does seem to have the passion and intensity that Saban likes, so he will probably keep him on ST. At least for now. However, I thought I read somewhere that Saban does not like to keep roster spots for players that are 'just' Special teamers. Could be wrong, but for some reason I seem to remember that. If so, Bua may be gone. Sorry to those that really like him, but I just wonder if he fits the Saban mold.

I doubt that Bua will be seeing alot of time(might not any) on defense his year. He doesnt fit the body of a S that Saban wants. Bua will likely be our main ST guy this year. I just hope that he will make the roster and do his stuff on ST.

There's no shame in captaining special teams. up here Ike reese did it for several years and finally got a chance to play a team saw him (Atlanta) and now he a starter earning starter's money...

He is the Size of a Safety with the Speed of a Linebacker. Just doesn't help him become a starter in this league. Special teams is where he will probably stay.

Nublar7 said:
Bua I see developing into the next Izzo and becoming a Special Teams Ace.
i agree, and i hope hes even better, but he dosent have the size to play LB in sabans D, and is not fast enough to play S

You know, I don't know exactly how special teams is going to work, but I'm almost sure that a lot of starters will be playing like in New England.

I just hope Bua doesn't get lost in the shuffle. He can hit and I don't hate fumbles.

South Florida said:
I was very excited about the prospect of putting some pounds on Tony Bua and letting him learn the linebacker position.

I'm not excited about him at the safety position.

He's a fast linebacker and a slow safety, so it doesn't make sense to me.

I really don't think he'll ever crack into the game at this position and he'll just live on Special Teams for his career.

Should I just trust Nick?

Is he faster than I think?

What's the logic here?

My man.... Bua is what I like to call a "tweener" He doesnt have the size to be a LB, but he is slightly slow for a SS. Ideally, he has the size for a safety and not a linebacker. Bua is a hard hitter and is a lifetime special teamer and a backup SS at best. Look at the guys we drafted to play LB then look at Bua.... he looks like David standing next to Seau and Crowder who are the Goliaths.

I agree with most, not a starter a LB or S but I think he could be a valuable asset to the special teams. He likes to bang heads out there and that gets people fired up. Maybe a back up or SS/LB in some situational schemes but i think he will be a special teamer

Nublar7 said:
I don't think Bua is being wasted for the fact that there are more talented players them him at both the LB and Saftey positions. Bua I see developing into the next Izzo and becoming a Special Teams Ace.
:yes: exactly he is a Izzo.... plus we got him in the 5th round so he is not being wasted. If he was a 1st or 2nd round pick than maybe.

I dont think Bua can start any where on defense. I like the guy, but like Nublar think he will develop into a special teams ace but never be a productive starter. Safety or LB doesnt matter unless it hurts his ability to develop into a dominate special teams guy.

Back
Top Bottom