Is Burke next to get the axe? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Burke next to get the axe?

It’s cool if you want to fire a particular coach, but at least mention some potential replacements. I’m interested in who would be an upgrade. Save the “anybody!!!!” response, too.
There's a whole thread on this, full of replacements.

We can do better than Burke. I’m hoping Ross is behind the scenes demanding that Gase make some staff changes. Not impressed at all so far with the new additions but IMHO a well respected, experienced DC could be a difference maker for this team and for buy in from our veterans.
That's not Ross's style and I for one am glad he doesn't do that, he challenges his coaching staff on how do we get better, but demanding this or that....no way.

Joseph defense gave up a lot of points and yards and people claimed he was great but i never understood it and now we got Burke and I don't understand his defense either.
The only thing I can figure is it has something to do with possession control or game flow. I was always a fan of low points and low yards.

I'm fine with Burke, for next year at least. Get back R.Mc and get some more depth at LB/DE in the draft.Re-evaluate then.

they need to scrape the wide 9 scheme

Disagree. The scheme can be extremely effective with the right personnel. To this point, I think the Raekwon McMillan injury was far more damaging than most people realize, and it would not surprise me to see Roquon Smith drafted in the first.

Burke could definitely be upgraded, but unfortunately I don't think Gase has the connections (or defensive IQ frankly) to find the right man. I don't care who our defensive coordinator is or what the scheme is, but I do know this D as a whole needs to improve significantly if this team is ever going to have a chance. These last 2 years have been horrible. Upgrading a young and inexperienced DC could go a long way towards helping that, but I doubt it happens. I wish Bowles would get fired, because I think he knows what he's doing on that side of the ball.

Burke is the problem and proved it when he asked a reporter who he would have covering the TE instead of Kiko. This is the problem with Gase and his coords. They're first timers and don't know what they're doing.

McVay hired a DC with HC experience. Pederson hired experienced coords and his DC has HC experience. That knowledge is invaluable for a first time HC and it would behoove gase to stop hiring these 30 something rejects and hire someone with experience to help him learn how to be a HC.

2018 is already shaping up to be a wasted season. Coaching matters. Just look at the Rams.

We have no pass rush. That has to be fixed and they need to be playing press man more often with these corners. Branch and Alonso with $10M cap hits this year doesn't help. Having two strong safeties doesn't help either. I have no idea what they are thinking. Our best players on defense will be 30, 31 & 36 years old this year.

Joseph defense gave up a lot of points and yards and people claimed he was great but i never understood it and now we got Burke and I don't understand his defense either.
The only thing I can figure is it has something to do with possession control or game flow. I was always a fan of low points and low yards.

Joseph's defenses got walked al over, I agree. However they were less talented than Burke's (there were special teamers all over the place) and made very timely stops. I think that's why he gets credit on here. I don't really know how to feel about Burke. On one hand I'd love an experienced DC who has proven success in the league but on the other how many DC's have taken defenses that lack talent and proved to be great in their first year? Burke could suck but he could be great, we don't know yet but everyone will lean towards sucks because on ne year.

I also believe that everything has to be cohesive to have success. Meaning the entire staff and FO has to believe in building and coaching the same thing. Communication is key and it's been said Gase and Vance didn't communicate that well while Burke and Gase do. We're seeing the same thing on the offensive side. I know it looks like the buddy system but the staff has to work closely together to be successful.

Joseph's defenses got walked al over, I agree. However they were less talented than Burke's (there were special teamers all over the place) and made very timely stops. I think that's why he gets credit on here. I don't really know how to feel about Burke. On one hand I'd love an experienced DC who has proven success in the league but on the other how many DC's have taken defenses that lack talent and proved to be great in their first year? Burke could suck but he could be great, we don't know yet but everyone will lean towards sucks because on ne year.

I also believe that everything has to be cohesive to have success. Meaning the entire staff and FO has to believe in building and coaching the same thing. Communication is key and it's been said Gase and Vance didn't communicate that well while Burke and Gase do. We're seeing the same thing on the offensive side. I know it looks like the buddy system but the staff has to work closely together to be successful.

I could see how very timely stops would draw attention maybe that's what I was not seeing in Joseph.

I agree with you on the o and d both being on the same page. 3 and outs and turnovers can hinder any defense.

I think many of us are going to have to give up on the hope of wholesale changes on defense. We're not going to a 3-4 with the personnel we currently have signed long term. I don't dump Burke, but he has a tough job ahead trying to fix the holes in this defense. Here are a few adjustments I would make:

1. Dump Wide-9
The scheme was implemented up front to maximize the pass rush ability of our "dominant" DL. What I've seen is no net effect on the pass rush efficacy as smarter QBs have enough movement to exploit poor gap discipline. As far as stopping the run, the penetration priority of the DL is leaving the LBs vulnerable because they have to attack gaps more aggressively. Kiko Alonso is not built for that. The only LBs on the roster built for that were McMillan, unfortunately injured, and Margarita Rey Mauluga.

2. The TE & RB Coverage Problem
Somebody on this team has to be smart enough to realize that this is a player deficiency problem. We have no shot at consistent coverage with Kiko, Reshad, or McDonald in primary coverage. Plain and simple, no scheme adjustment will help. We need a personnel upgrade.

3. The Corn Field Zone
You could plant crops and wait for harvest with some of the wide open zones in our defense. Our defense just doesn't play it well. Didn't we draft secondary players for a man coverage scheme? Why are we playing against the comfort of our defenders? The zone snaps should be an occasional wrinkle, not a staple.

I think Pagano, Del Rio and Fangio would all be monumental improvements.

If Fangio doesn't get a HC gig, and it is unlikely he will in today's NFL that is trending toward younger head coaches......hiring him as DC would be a foregone conclusion. I think Ross would offer him the big bucks, and he deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom