Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect?

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
First-year Packers general manager Ted Thompson seems to have a good handle of drawing the line come draft weekend with immensely talented players who are notorious for running foul of the law or who are a human magnet for the surgical knife.
"You probably would have to take it case by case," Thompson said. "I think sometimes individuals make mistakes (and) if it's out of character, maybe you give him a mulligan on that. Sometimes, maybe if it's more in line with that person's history, I think you take that a little more serious."
One of Thompson's colleagues, though, indicated recently that the pluses outweigh the minuses with Crowder, who gained entry into the draft after only two years of playing for Florida.
Miami GM Rick Spielman is willing to give Crowder the benefit of the doubt for off-field scrapes that led to a pair of suspensions from the team.
"Each individual team has their own criteria on what they will and won't put up with," Spielman told reporters after observing Crowder during an on-campus workout for Florida players. "I've visited with the kid, and he's a first-class kid.
"People make mistakes in the past, and each team decides on how much they'll put up with."

Why would Rick be giving a quote if Saban was there?

So, if Saban wasn't there. then Crowder was scouted and recomended by Rick Speilman. I know Saban has last say and knew Channing well but, this is still a little interesting.

Crowder is a wild man like Bua and Pope from last year. Except for his size he's exactly the kind of LBer Rick seemed to like.

Does that change your opinion about Crowder?

Thanks Doc....mine neither but, I'll bet you a box of donuts that somebody isn't going to like it. :lol:

Nope. Doesn't change my opinion at all. Of course, my opinions aren't affected by what other people think.

IMO, I think it is a little hypocritcal of the media to play up Channing as this thug who gets into trouble. He got into a couple of fights at a bar, and things get all blown up. Matt Roth got into a scrap with 10 bouncers because he wasn't up to dress code. Is that damaging to his character? Where is the difference, media people?

People forget that Rick Spielman is NOT a bad talent scout. Not in the LEAST. He is highly respected in that regard.

Spielman can be a bad NEGOTIATOR and GM. Draw the lines.

I watched Channing run all over the field making plays against Georgia and other SEC teams... We will love this guy if he stays healthy he is a 1st class linebacker and just a beast of a player, the kind Saban likes...

You also have to remember Wanny had a say with Rick. He is well respected, just maybe the system Wanny installed in scouting and drafting was so screwed up, nobody knew anything! Kind of like our football team last year!

doesnt change my opinion. I've seen Crowder play and I was very impressed. That fact that he fits in well to our new system and we have aging vets at LB and back ups at LBs who dont fit our new system, make me like the pick even more.

He wouldve been a top 15 pick if it werent for 1) off the field issues 2) questions about his injuries.

Once he gets with ZT and Seau, he should become a great student of the game and follow the right path to success. Remember, he didnt really get a huge pay day as a 3rd round pick.

So im very happy with the pick. I dont care if they picked his name out of a hat. He has a great chance at being a pro bowl LB.

Battling injuries, off the field problems. Yep sounds like a Rick Spielman type of guy to me. The only reason I know Rick didnt draft him is because Rick would have taken him with the #2 pick.

KB21 said:
Nope. Doesn't change my opinion at all. Of course, my opinions aren't affected by what other people think.

IMO, I think it is a little hypocritcal of the media to play up Channing as this thug who gets into trouble. He got into a couple of fights at a bar, and things get all blown up. Matt Roth got into a scrap with 10 bouncers because he wasn't up to dress code. Is that damaging to his character? Where is the difference, media people?

Not sure I buy the dress code story. As I heard it, it would be pretty ridiculous. First of all... dress code in a bar in IOWA? I thought you could wear windpants and cellophane.

Secondly, dress code for a FOOTBALL PLAYER? I don't think so. Here in Ann Arbor, even the second-stringers do whatever the hell they want at Ricks.

Thirdly, I feel like, given the prior two comments I made, they'd just ask him to fix it, not line up single-file in a bouncer gauntlet.

Now this doesn't change my opinion of Roth. In fact, it's really impressive. But I think the story needs tweaking.

Jnaledu3 said:
Battling injuries, off the field problems. Yep sounds like a Rick Spielman type of guy to me. The only reason I know Rick didnt draft him is because Rick would have taken him with the #2 pick.
So, you don't like the pick regardless of whose recomendation he was?

inFINSible said:
So, you don't like the pick regardless of whose recomendation he was?

I like the pick. Of course, if Charlie Frye was still available at that slot I would have rather them take him. But nevertheless, Crowder is a good player.

I dont really think it was Spielmans recommendation anyway. The writer of this article just makes it sound that way. Saban is the one that has been playing against him every year at LSU.

Jnaledu3 said:
I like the pick. Of course, if Charlie Frye was still available at that slot I would have rather them take him. But nevertheless, Crowder is a good player.

I dont really think it was Spielmans recommendation anyway. The writer of this article just makes it sound that way. Saban is the one that has been playing against him every year at LSU.
Ahhh....denial. I see.

So if Saban knew him so well, why did he send Rick to scout the Florida pro day? Seems like a waste of time and money if you're already going to choose the guy.

Doesn"t Even Matter! Saban Picked Him. And I"m Sure He Could Have Made That Decision All By Himself And Didn"t Need Spoilman For Anything. STOP REACHING! SPoilman isn't worth a dam thing.:shakeno:

Either way we got a hell of a footballer.

Saban is a great HC and Spielman is a great talent evaluator.

Rick may well have scouted him closely, but Saban saw him up close and personal.

Back
Top Bottom